• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

3 (fat) ski travel bag recommendations and shipping skis

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Check the weather report a day or two before you fly. Pick the skis you want for the expected weather. I've got many more Rocky Mountain ski days on firm snow than on fluffy snow. Take the skis you'll use most and rent for the day or two you may get different snow.

Check the airline sports baggage rules for each year for each airline you'll fly. They change. If a ski bag & boot bag count as one item, they share the one item weight limit. I put my around-town snow boots into the boot bag, along with my helmet, and hand-carry my ski boots onto the plane.

If a leg of your trip is on a smaller plane, even a small jet, don't be surprised if some the ski baggage isn't loaded due to weight or space limitations on the plane. It'll come in on a later flight, maybe the next day. Plan for what you can rent and what you absolutely need to ski that first day.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
How long a trip will this be? Is there time to drive?

From the Seattle area I have flown and I have driven, also flown into Boise, rented a car and drove to Sun Valley before driving to SLC.

If it's just myself, I'll fly. For two or more it often makes sense to drive, and with a family of 5 I can't imagine why you'd fly if you want to bring that many skis.

Just my opinion.

TS
dovski

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
How long a trip will this be? Is there time to drive?

From the Seattle area I have flown and I have driven, also flown into Boise, rented a car and drove to Sun Valley before driving to SLC.

If it's just myself, I'll fly. For two or more it often makes sense to drive, and with a family of 5 I can't imagine why you'd fly if you want to bring that many skis.

Just my opinion.
5 day trip with 4 days of skiing. Trying to fit it in while kids are off school so time is a factor and driving eats up 2-3 days which means at best we would only get 2 ski days if we drove. Have a bunch of air miles with Delta so get the direct flight for free and 3 bags each checked for free. Car rental is about the same cost as gas if we were to drive there and back. Drive each way in winter is about 14-16 hours depending on road conditions and our limit is 10-12 hours. If it was just me and a friend or two we would absolutely consider driving, but with teenagers and a younger child that is a non starter.

Weather patterns change so frequently in the mountains that I like to have choice. I also like my skis which I really enjoy skiing and have an amazing tune vs. rental skis that may not be what I want and are luck of the draw when it comes to tuning. Also if I can find a reasonable way of shipping the skis it works out the same or cheaper than renting, plus I can toss in a can of liquid paraffin which I have learned the hard way you cannot fly with :)

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, I hear you.

That said, if you've got a powder day in Utah, the snow is ridiculously easy to ski compared the Cascade Concrete we enjoy, so maybe one all-mountain ski per person could take care of that for you. Just a thought.

TS
dovski

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
OK, I hear you.

That said, if you've got a powder day in Utah, the snow is ridiculously easy to ski compared the Cascade Concrete we enjoy, so maybe one all-mountain ski per person could take care of that for you. Just a thought.
IMG_1515.JPEG

This was the view from my first floor hotel room window at GMD last time I skied Alta. In snow like this you want your fat skis. Hoping for a repeat this Feb, need I say more :):micdrop:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Pffft! Use SL skis and you’ll be fine.

OK, I admit that when I flew to Steamboat and Winter Park I had a double ski bag and my Billy Goats got some use.

Joby Graham

Getting off the lift
Skier
Working on it. :popcorn:
+1 for using ShipSkis. Have used them twice going to Steamboat from NJ. Picked up the double Sportube (via) FedEx at the house and delivered to the motel, and vice-versa. Clear communication and tracking, plus it beats the hell out of schlepping the skis through the airport (along with suitcases and boot bags) - never mind trying to fit the Sportube in a regular taxi and having TSA dump everything out.
A SkiTalk partnership with ShipSki? Make it so!

Sponsor

Staff online