• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

3 Ski Demo and Technique Description

the iliad

Putting on skis
Skier
If you want to talk about technique, you can. That's part of what this video is for. If you want to make suggestions for my technique if you think there is something that I haven't tried, that is fine. Please watch the whole video before commenting and I might be more likely to listen to a suggestion from someone who also posts a video of nice skiing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skitechniek

Getting off the lift
Skier
Was your channel formerly known as Boola Bear? I was looking for you channel a while ago, since I was curious about your skiing and if/how it has progressed. But I couldn't find it anymore. This skiing looks almost exactly the same, apart from some minor tweaks.

Always a pleasure to watch you ski moguls.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
2 and 3 are how I try to ski bumps (or at least used too). Can’t pick on any flaws which is kinda funny as I didn’t expect what I saw in 1.

1 on the other hand has issues that are well hidden because you are a strong skier and skiing on “soft” hard conditions. In order of cause to effect.....

1. You close you shoulders to the hill very early
2. This shifts your wt back towards the end of the turn loading your tails for transition energy or explosives release.

While this is fun and looks great, and does work well (given the conditions) it does give a wrong example and does cause problems as follows.

1. Early close besides shifting the wt back also shifts it in which under hard “ice” conditions can blow out the turn starting about mid turn.
2. This wt back is what I call bum steer and you can see you using yours. You can see in your tracks (in a few shots) how much you are loaded towards end of the turn. Again get into hard “ice” conditions and you are done for.

To be fair, it is good skiing and I suspect you where doing it to show off the skis and for the effect along with have the skill and knowledge to get away it and also when to change technique as required to suit conditions (2 and 3 bear proof to that), but since you asked......and people watch to learn be mind full of technique that sets them up to fail even if you can make it look (extremely) good and fun.

Sorry I was being nit picky.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
If you want to talk about technique, you can. That's part of what this video is for. If you want to make suggestions for my technique if you think there is something that I haven't tried, that is fine. Please watch the whole video before commenting and I might be more likely to listen to a suggestion from someone who also posts a video of nice skiing.

Skiing really well as always. We've shared some turns on MJ many moons ago. I didn't immediately recognize you (due to the new username) until I saw your skiing in the video. Thanks for posting and I hope you hang around as your thoughts on mogul skiing over the years have been very valuable. :)

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've always liked your skiing. Not a technique issue, but at 0:36 in the 2nd video I was wondering where you were going to turn -- I was surprised that the snow held onto that rock when you cut a hard turn.

TS
T

the iliad

Putting on skis
Skier
2 and 3 are how I try to ski bumps (or at least used too). Can’t pick on any flaws which is kinda funny as I didn’t expect what I saw in 1.

1 on the other hand has issues that are well hidden because you are a strong skier and skiing on “soft” hard conditions. In order of cause to effect.....

1. You close you shoulders to the hill very early
2. This shifts your wt back towards the end of the turn loading your tails for transition energy or explosives release.

While this is fun and looks great, and does work well (given the conditions) it does give a wrong example and does cause problems as follows.

1. Early close besides shifting the wt back also shifts it in which under hard “ice” conditions can blow out the turn starting about mid turn.
2. This wt back is what I call bum steer and you can see you using yours. You can see in your tracks (in a few shots) how much you are loaded towards end of the turn. Again get into hard “ice” conditions and you are done for.

To be fair, it is good skiing and I suspect you where doing it to show off the skis and for the effect along with have the skill and knowledge to get away it and also when to change technique as required to suit conditions (2 and 3 bear proof to that), but since you asked......and people watch to learn be mind full of technique that sets them up to fail even if you can make it look (extremely) good and fun.

Sorry I was being nit picky.
Thanks. Interesting. Yes, most variations are intentional, including what I am doing with my hands... but it's interesting to hear your insight. I don't always think about these things in great detail.

Yes, to Skitechniek. My dog's name was Boola Bear.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wasn’t sure how’d you take it.

You definitely ski better than I do or ever will, but I know how I want to and should ski.

Remember because you are followed, set the good example even if it is slightly less dramatic.

BTW love your mogul runs, just getting to old and wise not to risk it.

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
Bravo! I always appreciate “complete skiers” as it takes time and dedication to become competent in the different disciplines. We all have our favorites and location somewhat dictates things but you lost me when you dropped your knee! My wife is in a similar confused state.....

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Interesting hand position on the poles when skiing bumps. Looks like you are using just a light pole touch but a hard plant could hurt the wrist. Have you considered an adjustable pole?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Bravo! I always appreciate “complete skiers” as it takes time and dedication to become competent in the different disciplines. We all have our favorites and location somewhat dictates things but you lost me when you dropped your knee! My wife is in a similar confused state.....

That's actually the OP's brother doing the Telemark skiing.

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
Nah ... that was the best part!
And, for the record some of my jealousy was coming through in that comment! I did bunch of tele skiing when our now teenagers were very young as we poked around the mountain with them at Canyons, PCMR and Deer Valley. It was a great time in life and made easy cruisers challenging and fun for dad. I never got good at it like my wife but added to my respect for telemarketers that can charge.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I remember. I also thought you were going to stop skiing altogether and move to FLA (or the horror!) or something like that.

Glad to hear you've remained a skier. I've always enjoyed your posts. Your contributions will be a great addition to the forum.