• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

3 Ski Demo and Technique Description

TS
T

the iliad

Putting on skis
Skier
I remember. I also thought you were going to stop skiing altogether and move to FLA (or the horror!) or something like that.

Glad to hear you've remained a skier. I've always enjoyed your posts. Your contributions will be a great addition to the forum.
Not because I don't like skiing. I've always also wanted to pursue natural bodybuilding to a greater degree. It's easier to do one sport alone if it's natural bodybuilding, due to calorie factors.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Nice skiing. I wouldn’t dare criticise - you’re a stronger skier than me.

I wasn’t a huge fan of the music. That’s my critique!!

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Yes but can you hacky sack?

great to see you again!

TS
T

the iliad

Putting on skis
Skier
Nice skiing. I wouldn’t dare criticise - you’re a stronger skier than me.

I wasn’t a huge fan of the music. That’s my critique!!
I think you deserve an award for being the only person who I've ever seen say that on one of these types of sites:golfclap::beercheer: GIVE THIS MAN A MEDAL!!!!!!! :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap:

...and I agree about the music. I like harder music, but people usually tell me it's too hard or something, so I don't know.

Yes but can you hacky sack?

great to see you again!

Nice to see you too Steve ogsmile

I just enjoyed watching you ski!

Thank you ogsmile

Reactions: BMC

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
Metal riffage goes hand in hand with metal skiing. One of the things I wanted to work on this year (I had an early season injury that killed my season) was fore/aft balance in the bumps and this video shows what I need to do with my feet. I'll be coming back to this.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Blake is one of the best to ever post videos on epic.

TS
T

the iliad

Putting on skis
Skier
I've been editing and reorganizing some things on my channel to make way for new videos this year. Having said that, I'm not actually sure how much I'm going to be able to ski this year because of a crazy thing that set me back at work this year. Anyway, here are a couple of fresh uploads. I guess I will continue adding videos to this old thread as I make them, if that works. If you guys have any suggestions, you can tell me. I hope to have new footage again this year.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Have you thought about an adjustable pole for when you ski bumps so you can actually keep the hands of the grips?

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hey Blake , really like the videos.
Your bump style is like the guy’s that get paid to ski bumps, very efficient, I was wondering if you ever fart around with a more slalom style action in the bumps.
I think it’s a great look and style when powerful guys or gals get after it like that.
Keep the vids coming, we’re all bored as hell around here !

TS
T

the iliad

Putting on skis
Skier
Since it's old footage, maybe this will make it more interesting. This is for the one called "Skiing With Versatility Demo". Someone asked me for this. This goes shot by shot except for the telemarking shots.

TIME 00:00 > 2018 Head iTitan 177cm 138-81-118 R15m, Dalbello WC DRS Race Boot ... TIME 00:08 > 2014 Nordica Fire Arrow EDT 176cm 128-84-112.5 R18m, 2009 Dalbello Krypton Kross Mogul Boot ... TIME 00:15 > 2014 Head iSL World Cup Rebels 165cm 122-66-107 R11.5m, 2009 Dalbello Krypton Kross Mogul Boot ... TIME 00:19 > 2014 Nordica Fire Arrow EDT 176cm 128-84-112.5 R18m, 2018 Dalbello WC DRS Race Boot ... TIME 00:22 > 2014 Head iSL World Cup Rebels 165cm 122-66-107 R11.5m, 2009 Dalbello Krypton Kross Mogul Boot ... TIME 00:27 > 2014 Nordica Fire Arrow EDT 176cm 128-84-112.5 R18m, 2009 Dalbello Krypton Kross Mogul Boot ... TIME 00:31 > 2009 K2 Mamba Mogul Ski 173cm 92-66-82, 2009 Dalbello Krypton Kross Mogul Boot ... TIME 00:39 > 2014 Head iSL World Cup Rebels 165cm 122-66-107 R11.5m, 2016 Dalbello Scorpion All Terrain Boot ... TIME 00:45 > 2016 Salomon X-Drive 850 184cm 131-88-117 R19m, 2016 Dalbello Scorpion All Terrain Boot ... TIME 00:48 > 2014 Nordica Fire Arrow EDT 176cm 128-84-112.5 R18m, 2009 Dalbello Krypton Kross Mogul Boot ... TIME 00:51 > 2018 Head iTitan 177cm 138-81-118 R15m, 2018 Dalbello WC DRS Race Boot ... TIME 00:59 > 2009 Nordica Girish 184cm 139-110-129 R26m (no rocker), 2018 Dalbello WC DRS Race Boot ... TIME 01:05 > 2018 Head iTitan 177cm 138-81-118 R15m, 2018 Dalbello WC DRS Race Boot ... TIME 01:11 > 2014 Head iSL World Cup Rebels 165cm 122-66-107 R11.5m, 2016 Dalbello Scorpion All Terrain Boot ... TIME 01:16 > 2014 Head iSL World Cup Rebels 165cm 122-66-107 R11.5m, 2016 Dalbello Scorpion All Terrain Boot ... TIME 01:35 > 2014 Head iSL World Cup Rebels 165cm 122-66-107 R11.5m, 2016 Dalbello Scorpion All Terrain Boot ... TIME 01:38 > 2014 Head iSL World Cup Rebels 165cm 122-66-107 R11.5m, 2016 Dalbello Scorpion All Terrain Boot ... TIME 01:41 > 2018 Head iTitan 177cm 138-81-118 R15m, 2018 Dalbello WC DRS Race Boot ... TIME 01:50 > 2018 Head iTitan 177cm 138-81-118 R15m, 2018 Dalbello WC DRS Race Boot ... TIME 01:55 > 2009 K2 Mamba Mogul Ski 173cm 92-66-82, 2009 Dalbello Krypton Kross Mogul Boot ... TIME 02:00 > 2009 K2 Mamba Mogul Ski 173cm 92-66-82, 2009 Dalbello Krypton Kross Mogul Boot ... TIME > 02:16 Salomon XT 850 Enduro 184cm 127-85-112 R19.3m, Dalbello Krypton Kross Mogul Boot

TS
T

the iliad

Putting on skis
Skier
Have you thought about an adjustable pole for when you ski bumps so you can actually keep the hands of the grips?
I know that some people do that. I guess I don't want to stop to adjust my poles, but you are right that it would be better... it would look better. I think I'm more likely to just leave my hands on the grips if I make a change. I actually have noticed my hands getting lower than what looks good in some video shots that we've taken.

What I like: You always appear to know exactly where you're going. There's never a moment where the snow surprises you. (Maybe you edited out that part. :D) I can find lots of video of skiers surviving steep couloirs, of getting down them. You SKI them. Flow and continuity.
Thanks. That ski was actually way too flexible for such a steep run. The lower ski kept trying to bend up under the upper ski with the g-force. I might have gotten more shots if I had a stiffer ski. I thought it would be an interesting experiment to try a flexible race type ski in that kind of couloir. Next time, I won't use the same kind of ski. That was the Head iTitan that I listed above.

Hey Blake , really like the videos.
Your bump style is like the guy’s that get paid to ski bumps, very efficient, I was wondering if you ever fart around with a more slalom style action in the bumps.
I think it’s a great look and style when powerful guys or gals get after it like that.
Keep the vids coming, we’re all bored as hell around here !
Thanks. Yes, I do more of a slalom type turn a lot of the time when I'm just skiing around. My ski partner and I often do a lot of long runs without stops, so my turn ends up wider and slower. As I indicated above in the list, I have a lot of shots on video that are of a slalom race ski in the moguls. I would say that all of those shots are more of a slalom type of turn that my shots on moguls skis.... but keep in mind that where I ski, the moguls are huge and close together. This makes it look more like a world cup mogul style even when I am on the slalom race ski... and I still do a quick turn when I take video on that ski. If you look at the video that I started this thread with, the section with a "2" in the corner is the slalom ski. The only real difference that we're talking about here is speed, especially if you look at the "3" section in that video, it's very much the same technique done faster on a mogul ski. When I'm skiing around and not taking video I often do a wider, slower turn on the slalom race ski. Again, it's about differences in speed more than anything.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great stuff, Blake! I always enjoy your skiing videos. Keep them coming.

Sanity

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled
If you want to talk about technique, you can. That's part of what this video is for. If you want to make suggestions for my technique if you think there is something that I haven't tried, that is fine. Please watch the whole video before commenting and I might be more likely to listen to a suggestion from someone who also posts a video of nice skiing.
I always like watching videos that people post for feedback, and usually it's fun to break it down in my mind even if I don't respond. So, your video started out on the groomed, and I thought, "ah, another one of those", then it shifted to the bumps, and I thought, "oooh, a chance to contribute", but quickly it settled to, "crap, that's better than me. I've got nothing to offer." Then, I thought, "who the hell is this?, wait a second, that might be Blake", and sure enough... I've been watching and enjoying your videos for years. I focus on the bumps even when I'm on the groomed, but I've got one question/comment for the groomed skiing at the beginning. It appears to me that the inside shoulder is dropping back more than I'd expect even for that style.

TS
T

the iliad

Putting on skis
Skier
Great stuff, Blake! I always enjoy your skiing videos. Keep them coming.
Thanks ogsmile

So, your video started out on the groomed, and I thought, "ah, another one of those", then it shifted to the bumps, and I thought, "oooh, a chance to contribute", but quickly it settled to, "crap, that's better than me. I've got nothing to offer." Then, I thought, "who the hell is this?, wait a second, that might be Blake", and sure enough...
:roflmao::roflmao::ogbiggrin::beercheer: Thanks for watching
I focus on the bumps even when I'm on the groomed, but I've got one question/comment for the groomed skiing at the beginning. It appears to me that the inside shoulder is dropping back more than I'd expect even for that style.
Yes, that's true that I'm doing that. The way I would describe it is that I'm rotating my spine into the turn. I do that especially in the first round of groomed shots of the "Three Ski Demo" video. I also do it in a shot or two in "Ski Music Video 2". You'll see me do that less, or perhaps not at all in some other shots, like in the "Skiing With Versatility Demo" that I just posted. I don't always do things the same way. In fact, in a future technique discussion video I'd like to talk more about how there is more than one way to do things. I don't agree that we all need to try to duplicate each other as in the Japanese technical competition style or whatever. But you are right. Last year I decided that I liked doing it that way. Maybe it doesn't look as good. I don't know. I liked how it looked at the time, and it seemed to work fine, to me:huh: I also do that in a few mogul shots on video, like the last mogul shot with a "2" in the corner of the "Three Ski Demo" video, and I think one or two shots in "Ski Music Video 2".

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online