• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

3 Ski Demo and Technique Description

TS
T

the iliad

Putting on skis
Skier
You’re not drawn to a 100 something ski for such endeavors?
That snow isn't really that deep. It was as icy as it was deep. But something a little bigger might have been nice. Maybe something 88 under foot or something. The iTitan is what I had on.

TS
T

the iliad

Putting on skis
Skier
Anyway...

As many types of turns that I have featured throughout the channel now is about as many as I'm doing. I feel I've covered all the bases. There was some discussion about this previously on this thread so that's why I returned to it. Next year I might be back with a new thread and a new type of video. Sometime soon I will make an instructional video, or maybe more mixed terrain... or maybe just cliffs and powder. That's actually the terrain I did most before I ever made a video. If I just made nice looking videos of cliffs and powder, like I used to ski all the time, they'd probably be more popular anyway.

TS
T

the iliad

Putting on skis
Skier
That looks damn steep.
Thanks. It's good to know that the steepness shows up on video. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with the shots.

These sorts of runs aren't always so easy to get glamorous video or whatever. This one wasn't in good condition. There was a sluff trough down the center of the couloir that got bigger as I went down. It was a hole where I would have otherwise wanted to ski, and each side was like a bottomless 'V' and was extra steep. There was a stretch of about 10 meters where I was on my right, uphill ski, and my right hip was against the wall. Beneath me was the cliff.

It was an interesting, difficult run.

TS
T

the iliad

Putting on skis
Skier
Telemarking those bumps is next level, highly impressive. Great work, enjoy your posts and vids.
Thank you : ) The telemarking is my brother : )

Excellent bump skiing. Wish my legs were still so supple & reactive.
Thanks you : ) For supple legs, you could try a combination of creatine, beta alanine, fish oil, and qi gong, for like 3 months. You might be surprised : )

TS
T

the iliad

Putting on skis
Skier
I just posted this to Elite Skiing, so I'm copying this here...

Wow, I am so glad that this great film 'The White Room' is now preserved on youtube. Watch one of the sickest skiers ever. John Tremann. I want to urge my friends who are ski instructors to watch Tremann. Watch him in an early section of this movie at "Squaw Valley" where he is in the red pants. Watch him in Verbier in the blue and black outfit, and watch him in St Anton more towards the middle of the film where he was in the red outfit. If looking wicked is technically correct, then this is extremely correct... except it isn't. Tremann looked wicked when he was turning and jumping, and only Tremann looked like Tremann. That is why at one point in the 90s, he was said to be the "most photographed skier in the world", courtesy partly to Powder Magazine etc.. He was like Marcus Caston in terms of uniqueness of style, and it would be difficult for another to imitate. He is a reminder that the greatest accomplishment in skiing does not necessarily lie in how well we imitate another, or copy a book. When Richard Berger was skiing in perfect form in Austria around this time, I think that Tremann was America's excellent answer to Berger and I think Caston is ideally America's answer to Maruyama Takao. Tremann is what has been missing online, in the ski technique records, until now. Also in The White Room, Kirk Jensen from Canada, I always thought is one of the great all round skiers of all time.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online