• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

3D Vintage Ski Bindings - Rick Glesner

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Related Thread...
Vintage Ski Bindings modeled in state of the art solid modeling software

Joe Strummer

Getting on the lift
Skier
Brilliant. But nostalgia is a dangerous drug. I wouldn't trade any of my modern ski gear for anything from the 70s. Just like I wouldn't drink beer from the 70s. Beer back then just sucked.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Brilliant. But nostalgia is a dangerous drug. I wouldn't trade any of my modern ski gear for anything from the 70s. Just like I wouldn't drink beer from the 70s. Beer back then just sucked.

You don't have to trade for it but it can still be enjoyed as a time machine. Pick your decade and click in! :)

da-cat

Hoarders Anonymous
Skier
I have two experiences that blow this logic out of the water. Not as a permanent trade but something remarkable.
Without all of the details, I thought I knew so much about skis and then I fell upon two pairs from the past, investing merely $15 and $18 respectively. Writing in detail of what Skiing on these did for me would take a very long description. Better to learn for oneself. Find and try:
180cm OLIN MARK lllS
195cm Fischer RC-4 Vacuum

New skis cannot do what these do.

:)
PS... maybe I can elaborate:
Skiing (both pairs) on hard packed & steep to intermediate-
These OLINs have a great sturdy flex pattern and nice side cut actually- providing responsive turning.
These Fischers have factory beveled edges- super fast gliding on pure P-Tex, loosey goosey- an experience everyone should try!

Last edited:

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I have a secret resort where I can ski with my 555’s still!
Shhh

I've never had anything but positive comments while skiing on retro gear anywhere I have skied.
Never had any resort employees even hinted I couldn't ski on it. Are you saying you were told you couldn't?

da-cat

Hoarders Anonymous
Skier
I've never had anything but positive comments while skiing on retro gear anywhere I have skied.
Never had any resort employees even hinted I couldn't ski on it. Are you saying you were told you couldn't?
Most resorts won’t let you ski with old - non- indemnified bindings. Try to get on a ski lift with S555 bindings in Vermont or NY and pretty sure you cannot.
? Do I have that right?
At the little place we go to the lift operators don’t care.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Most resorts won’t let you ski with old - non- indemnified bindings. Try to get on a ski lift with S555 bindings in Vermont or NY and pretty sure you cannot.
? Do I have that right?

I've never had that problem in VT.
Who exactly is going to stop you?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
? Do I have that right?
I have never heard of anyone ever being refused lift access because of the age of a binding...as long as there is some type of runaway retention device, ie straps or brakes.

da-cat

Hoarders Anonymous
Skier
I've never had that problem in VT.
Who exactly is going to stop you?
I must have it wrong yet 30 years ago the rumor was the lift operator will turn you away if you try to ski with bindings 10+ years old. This was because of liability insurance.
Glad I am wrong because I really like most of my old bindings.
Although I am pretty sure that if you ask the ski shop at a resort to set your personal equipment (for example renting boots and trying to use them with your own skis and bindings)
They will refuse to touch them.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I must have it wrong yet 30 years ago the rumor was the lift operator will turn you away if you try to ski with bindings 10+ years old. This was because of liability insurance.
If they did that lift lines at many ski areas will be a lot shorter.

Although I am pretty sure that if you ask the ski shop at a resort to set your personal equipment (for example renting boots and trying to use them with your own skis and bindings)
They will refuse to touch them.
Again, no. But they will require a ASTM release check for the bindings.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Yes, Thanks @Dave Petersen for putting this thread together with all the fantastic work from @RickyG !!!
I can't even begin to say how needed something like these videos are to preserve our skiing history timeline.

THANK YOU :golfclap:

Last edited:

RickyG

Faction Fan
Contributor
Thank you so much. This is my way of giving back to the sport we love. Honestly these take me over a month to do...not full time...but 4(ish) hours a day. I'm currently finishing up a mid 70's Tyrolia 350 Diagonal with brake on a Head Yahoo. Every once in a while go to my YouTube channel and see the latest. HRG3Design. Oh anyone have a slightly earlier Clix toe? Or this early mechanical AFD? Since I have the Diagonal heel under control I'd love to do this generation.
1646317102465.png

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

Sponsor

Staff online