• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review 40 models of 2019/20 skis reviewed

Tree Stashes

Seeker of Shady Fluff Pockets
Masterfit Bootfitter
Venture into my weird and obsessive mind...if you dare.

For your perusal and reference, my notes on the ~40 pairs of skis I got to demo last year. I know many folks have made ski purchase decisions already, but for you fence straddlers: maybe my notes can push you over the edge. You may not agree with my notes, and every skier has their own definition of fun. For example, I genuinely dislike the Bonafide, which is one of the most popular skis of all time. I split my notes into four sections: powder, all-mountain wide, all-mountain narrow, and piste skis. I found exceptional skis in each category. It’s a good year to be a skier.

Notes on Tester:
I’m 6’1”, 170 lbs, 35 yo. I get most of my ski days in North Lake Tahoe, Mammoth, and Utah. I work part-time in a small ski shop. My tastes in skis definitely reflects my bias: I like heavy and especially metal skis because they cope better with our beloved Sierra snow (marine, heavy). I don’t get as much time on independent ski brands as I would like - something I hope to change. I try to acknowledge my bias while still highlighting the virtues of skis I write about.

Powder Skis (110+ mm waist)
The powder ski! The ski you save for those special days! The ski that keeps you up at night knowing that your body and spirit will transcend time and space through this sacred instrument! Most people associate their powder skis with the best times, and I’ll make the argument that most “quiver of one skis” fall apart when faced with 12”+ of fluff. So do the right thing and consider adding one of these to your lineup!

Blizzard Spur
Length: 192
Test Location: Heavy sierra powder day at Mammoth Mountains, Snowbasin ~15” powder day
The Spur is in a category by itself, which is apparent just by looking at the asymmetrical cut. Insane float, a unique blend of sturdy and surfy. I found it easy and reliable at any speed, though it did have a tendency to get hooked on the heavy pow. In blower, the Spur would be an effortless dream. I found it easier to manage than the Nordica Enforcer Pro and the Dynastar Proto, a little more turn-y and fun than those skis, which excel at charging down gnarly terrain. Somewhat regrettably, I did not realize that the Spur is designed to be worn both ways: swapping your left ski to your right will either shorten or lengthen the radius. I rode the longer radius configuration.

Note: Blizzard has performed a major update to the Spur for 2020/21. I have not skied it. The new Spur no longer has the asymmetrical sidecut, and they dropped the mean-looking murdered out topsheet with pink sidewalls for a hideous green / blue geometric topsheet.

Blizzard Rustler 11
Length: 188 and 192
Test Location: Heavy sierra powder day at Mammoth Mountain, Mammoth January Storm (windblown powder), Alpine Meadows March storm (4” of cream on top of 12” of Sierra cement)
The rustler 11 has been a favorite of mine all season. I went up to the 192 today to push the limits of this very versatile ski. I could manage the 192, but it is a very different ski;
Blizzard reps tell me that it is really built for pros on the Freeride World Tour. I continue to think that this is the perfect resort powder ski. It enables me to attack everything from fresh lines to tracked pow. It can rip around on groomers getting back to the lift. For a metal ski, it has a fantastic ooey-gooey interface with soft snow. Some testers fault the rustler for lacking snappy response on groomers, and I’ll acknowledge that it does not have the race-bred super G feel that you might find in an Enforcer 110. But I still think it's the best ski in the category. It's versatile and approachable for a ski this wide, and I never lacked float. It's essentially three skis in one: a super fun surfy pow ski, a surprisingly clean and nimble carver, and an end of day or leftover crud buster. I now own this ski.

Armada ARV116 JJ
Length: 187
Test Location: Alpine Meadows, what looked to be a powder day turned into cement with 2” of cream on top.
I was excited to take out this legendary ski for the first time, knowing that it would be a different beast altogether from other skis in the category. I was thrilled with the experience, and felt that the JJ provides a unique surfy / smeary experience that I absolutely loved. I would love to get it out in deeper snow sometime, where those qualities would really shine. Still, I was pleased and impressed with how the ski did while cruising groomers back to the lift. This ski skis a little short - would have liked to try the 192 (and I’m 6’1” // 170 lbs).

Armada Tracer 118
Length: 188
Test Location: Heavy sierra powder day at Mammoth Mountain
I was impressed by how much this ski liked speed. I think it makes great sense as a hybrid resort / backcountry ski for the skier who likes speed. It floats great, but I found it a little sloppy on edge hold, at least in heavy (wet) Sierra pow. May have been the conditions, but other skis were handling better. I loved the graphics. I would give it another shot on different snow.

Armada Declivity X
Surprise hit for me. I thought it would be a big mountain high speed tool, but found it to be surprisingly accessible and versatile. Close call with the Rustler 11, these were my two favorite resort powder skis. At 115mm waist, a wonderful dedicated powder ski. I look forward to riding it again sometime.

Armada ARG 133
This was a huge treat to test, and I think I kept it out longer than any other ski in the somewhat epic blizzard conditions at Mammoth. Like the Blizzard Spur, this is a purpose-built ski. And that purpose is spraying face shots all over the mountain. I found the ARG to be great at short cuts and yet still stable when I pointed them out. Of the pure powder skis, this was my favorite. Reserved for the deepest days only.

Nordica Enforcer Pro
Length: 191
I've been a huge fan of the enforcer line for some time, but never got to try the pro / 115. It feels like an enforcer for sure. It's a big ski for sure. I would love to take this ski to Alaska. I love that it can mow down chop. It certainly rails on groomers. But...I'm not sure this ski really makes sense for people who aren't pro skiers. Although it's fun on groomers, it's not much more fun than other powder skis, and it's more of a chore in tight spots. I think I learned something about how Enforcers win a lot of awards: the skis nail a lot of the evaluation criteria. But that doesn't always translate to fun. And in the case of a powder ski, railing groomers is beside the point.

Dynastar Proto
Length: 189
Test Location: Mammoth WWSRA Demo Days
I tested this ski right next to the Enforcer Pro, and overall I preferred it as a powder ski. They are both high speed float masters, and I suspect they both will be most at home charging steep lines where you need to point'em out. I found the Proto to be a little planky, but nevertheless it was surprisingly agile and nimble. I found myself hopping turns more than slarving or smearing, but I still charged down the hill with confidence, even in tight corners. The Proto got my vote for a high speed pow ski, but the Rustler 11 and the Declivity were more accessible and well rounded.

Salomon QST 118
Test Location: Snowbasin Demo Days
I enjoyed the QST 118, and I wouldn't have a hard time selling it. It carves nicely. It floats beautifully. Lots of rocker, decently stiff tail. I could imagine falling in love when skiing it in heroic conditions, but I could say the same about a lot of skis.

Head Kore 117
The 117 feels like the most different ski in the Kore lineup. With almost no camber, this ski is buttery and quick at lower speeds or in deeper snow. The ski felt a little less grippy and solid as compared to other Kores, or even other skis in this category, which makes a lot of sense for this ski. In the end, I like this ski a lot for somebody who wants a pivoty pow ski that can handle a little speed, but not too much. As with other Kore skis, I’ll continue my complaint that they are in fact too light. Utah skiers may disagree.

Atomic Bent Chetler 120
Test Location: 2+ foot dump at Mammoth Mountain, storm day with high winds
Having previously tried (and disliked) the Bent Chetler 100, I wasn’t sure how I would like the 120. It turns out to be a much better shape and size for this style of playful, surfy construction. I struggled a bit with the forward stance, though that can probably be blamed on the heavier Sierra snow I skied that day. Floatation is obviously in a league of its own, and for the skier who has the good fortune to score deep powder, the Bent Chetler is the perfect surfy, playful feel that encapsulates the carefree fun of skiing in powder. For me personally, I still need my powder ski to hold up for afternoon leftovers, and I felt the 120 was a little too light for that. I do love the idea of using this as a touring setup, where fresh powder is almost endless. Makes a great all-purpose powder ski if you don’t want to fly with a downhill and backcountry setup when you fly to Japan.

Fischer Ranger 115 Fr
Test Location: 2+ foot dump at Alpine Meadows
Hats off to Fischer for their Fr lineup. They managed to marry the crisp, round carve of their race lineage with a ski that surfs, slashes, and pivots. I really enjoyed the 115, and have wondered if maybe I would have preferred it over my very beloved Rustler 11. I got to ski the Ranger 115 in a late season storm at Alpine Meadows and the ski had a wonderful blend of playfulness while still being really smooth over the rutted tracks back to the chair. I plan to revisit this ski again.

All-Mountain Wide (99-109 mm waist)

Probably the most versatile category for folks in the North American West. I like all-mountain wide skis a lot because you can pretty much grab one without looking at the forecast - or knowing what terrain you will end up riding - and still have a great time. These skis have to balance fun and float with precision and power. A tall order - but there are a ton of fantastic options this year.

Nordica Enforcer 104 Free
Length: 185
Test Location: Heavy sierra powder day at Mammoth Mountain, Snowbasin Demo Days
Fantastic, accessible, carves and smears. Exactly what Nordica needed to add. Enough float for any Sierra powder day. Abundant fun factor. I tried it both at Mammoth, where it was fun and smeary, and at Snowbasin, where it transitioned between fluffy stashes and dusty but firm groomers with ease. A+ ski. If I could only own one ski next year, this would be it. Highly recommended for the energetic, confident skier who wants one ski that does it all.

Salomon QST 106
This ski surprised me. It immediately made me feel like I was one with the snow. The balance felt perfect from the first turn. It was easy to get on edge and its carving accuracy was fantastic. I skied it in the 188, and was surprised how easy it was. I would guess that intermediate skiers would enjoy this ski a lot. That being said, I skied with some expert skiers at Snowbasin who were ripping on the 106 without a problem. Considering conditions, I thought it was wonderful for the heavier pow.

Dynastar Legend 106
Although by no means a bad ski, the Legend 106 did not stand out in its category, which is filled with a lot of compelling options. I found it to be more fun and forgiving than I expected, but I was really thrown by the tail, which felt loose and wiggly in the soft stuff. I probably would love this ski on firm snow and high speeds, and I might reach for this for more expert skiers, but I had more fun on the Salomon QST 106 and the Nordica Enforcer 104. I thought I would have preferred the Legend, which has a remarkably stiff hand flex. But the swimmy tail was very unusual and did not excite me.

**Note: Dynastar discontinued the whole Legend lineup for 2020/21, replacing it with what appears to be a great offering in the M-Pro and M-Free series of skis. The new lineup incorporates polyurethane into the layup, a somewhat novel core material that should be very smooth. I stand by my critique of the Legend series.

Salomon QST 99
Length: 181
Overall I liked this ski and I think it will sell very well. At 99 mm, there were better skis for the blizzard conditions. Nevertheless I found the QST to provide adequate float. It was fun and easy to ski, and would be very accessible for intermediate skiers. It didn't grab on to the heavy and somewhat wet snow. It also got knocked around a bit. But a lot of users will love this ski as an all mountain daily driver that has plenty of fun and forgiveness.

Blizzard Rustler 10
Length: 180 and 188
Test Location: Heavy sierra powder day at Mammoth Mountain, Deer Valley (most firm snow, some dust on crust)
I’m a huge fan of Rustlers, and I like the direction of this new, more stable, more confident ski. Still totally fun in trees and deep stashes. I skied with a friend who rode an Atomic Vantage 97 Ti - a much more firm snow oriented ski - and I had no trouble keeping up once we opened up onto groomers. I loved this ski. I took it out again for a sunny day at Deer Valley and I continue to be impressed with its firm and soft snow handling. I struggled a bit in the rutted and firm bumps off piste, which were crust underneath a 3" dash of dust. I'm glad I got that exposure but I still love this ski and would consider it an excellent quiver of one choice. The 188 is probably my ski, but I felt pretty stable in the 180 as well. If I’m being really honest, I would love it in a 185 cm length.

Fischer Ranger 102 FR
Length: 177 and 184 cm
The 102 is a fun ski that almost anybody can hop on and enjoy. I found its floatation and playfulness to be excellent. It was delightful on a wonderful steep pitch of mostly untracked pow. I cruised onto some mellow packed powder groomers and found it incredibly easy to get on edge and carve nice arcs. The ski produces a remarkably round carve shape which was novel and fun, if not overpowering. The ski got a little lost in some tracked off-piste lower down the mountain, which makes me worry about how it would hold up in heavier Sierra snow, but that lighter weight means this ski is just a lot more pure fun. Given its ease of use, I would enthusiastically recommend it to a skier who wants a well rounded all mountain ski that doesn't punish them. To contrast it with the Ranger 99 Ti, this ski was more fun and approachable, and I felt it did great in powder.

Head Kore 105
Length: 180 cm
The Kore series has done well for Head, and has helped a lot of skiers get into a freeride oriented ski that allows them to shred without draining their fitness. I like the 105 a lot, and I think the ultralight construction makes a ton of sense for a ski that ought to be more soft snow oriented. Yes, it still rails on groomers. Yes, it is disturbingly stable at speed for its weight. And it's rather dreamy in powder. My only complaint against this ski is that I wish it had more heft to charge through crud and even tracked pow. Many skiers will naturally gravitate toward is lightweight and highlight this aspect as a strength, so I file this critique as a minor one. I do give Head props for adapting each Kore mold to the demands of that model, and the 105 feels like a virtuous fulfillment of this category's most sought after features. I would vote for an Enforcer 104 free or a QST 106 as close competition for this ski. And the Ranger 107ti for the more expert, charge-y skier. One slight ding on this ski: the lack of a mounting plate seems to produce higher than normal binding failures. I’m not sure if Head has addressed this, but other ultra lightweight skis (old DPS) have needed to similar tweaks. Consider a helicoil.

Note: Head informed me that all Kores have been updated with a mounting plate for models from 2018/19 and forward.

Fischer Ranger 107 Ti
Length: 182 cm
When I learned about the updates to the Ranger Ti series, I was immediately stoked and excited to ski them. Long a fan of the Ranger series, my only complaint on recent experiences was that I wanted more power out of the ski. Be careful what you wish for. The Ti is a beastly ski. I love its powerful carving. I love how stable it is in crud. And when I got the ski in untracked Utah pow, it floated like a butterfly, only to shred groomers just a few turns later with that deliciously precise Fischer continuous carve. All that said, this is a demanding ski, best for athletic skiers. I would struggle in tight bumps or rutted tree lines. I still love the ski...but maybe it could ease up a bit? Sincerely, Goldilocks

Fischer Ranger 99 Ti
Length: 181 and 188
Test Location: Snowbasin Demo Days, Alpine Meadows spring powder day
I expounded on the Ranger Ti series in the 107 Ti review. The 188 length was too much for me. It's a fantastic carving tool. It has no discernible speed limit. It punished me in the bumps. It’s labor-intensive off-piste. It's a beastly ski for sure, and those really strong demanding high speed skiers are going to love it. I think it still skis circles around the Mantra M5 in basically every category. But I will be thoughtful about which customers get to look at the 99. On a later trip, I grabbed a 181 and felt much more at home on that length of ski. I still found the ski to be a little planky for my 170 lbs while skiing through some end-of-day pow at Alpine Meadows. It was phenomenal on groomers, and thus I find it to be an interesting ski for a quiver-of-one skier. Realistically, many skiers spend most of their time on groomers, but don’t want to be left out in the cold if the powder comes. For an all-mountain skier who wants one ski that is high performance on piste but still fun in powder, the 99 Ti could work nicely, but only if that skier has sheer strength and technique in spades.

Volkl Mantra 102
Length: 184
If you read my Enforcer 88 review, you might expect me to dismiss the Mantra 102 as another business-driven product line extension from the smash success of this year's Mantra M5. Credit where it's due: the Mantra 102 is not only new and different - it's better. While the M5 clearly excels as a high speed, long radius, directional charger, the 102 is in fact a much more versatile ski, while still maintaining its charger pedigree. The triple radius sidecut - while not an altogether new innovation - does make this ski feel more maneuverable in tight spots. It's accordingly more floaty and fun, and more smooth than my memory of the M5. I really liked this ski, but the competition (Enforcer 104, Ranger 102) are also really great skis. I think the Mantra 102 will find its niche as a more versatile and therefore broader appeal Mantra. Fans of stiff tails that pop you from one turn to the next will enjoy this offering in the all-mountain wide category.

Armada ARV106
Test Location: Alpine Meadows surprise spring powder day
I tested this ski out of step with the rest of the all mountain wide testing I did, so it’s harder for me to do apples-to-apples. I’ll start by saying that I generally prefer metal in my skis, and the list of all-wood skis that I actually like is pretty short. Well, the ARV 106 is definitely on there, and may actually mark a turning point in my attitude toward a) wood core skis positioned for soft snow and b) more forward stance mount. I took the ski up to Alpine Meadows and cut some afternoon stash laps on Alpine Bowl Chair. We were hiking Upper Saddle to High Yellow Face and Our Father, and the ARV was super fun. I found it to be a good combination of floaty and nimble. It was still perfectly capable as I hit higher speeds on the runout. The competition in all mountain wide is definitely challenging, but I think the ARV 106 stands out for giving a little more feedback and connection with softer snow. Like many of the all-mountain wide skis, this ski was still plenty of fun on groomers, so despite its width and lack of metal, it certainly would hold up for most western skiers.

All-Mountain Narrow (88-98 mm waist skis)

An interesting category of skis. Some folks are going to like these skis as a potential quiver of one, particularly if you don’t actively seek fresh tracks. I generally feel like too many skiers, especially young skiers, overlook frontside skis. It is their loss. These skis are quicker, rippier, and more exciting, and they can make boilerplate groomers feel like your own personal race track. It’s worth trying one of these if you haven’t been on a narrower ski in a while.

Atomic Vantage 97 Ti
The snow was turning increasingly wet by the time I took out the Vantage Ti. Not the right conditions for this ski, but I needed to try it out so I could differentiate from the Mantra M5. I liked it. Seems to be more versatile than the M5. Still charges. It’s an interesting build: at 97mm waist, I’m kind of scratching my head. Is this really a powder ski? If not, why would you want a ski this wide? I suppose that the extra width comes in handy when plowing throw crud, chop, and rutted snow, but that firm and flat tail is a lot to handle in off piste conditions. My personal feeling is that once you cross the 90mm line, at least some tail early rise is pretty essential. That being said, one of my favorite skis is the Stockli Stormrider 95, which has a firm if not punishing tail, and to this ski’s credit, it compares favorably to the Stockli and costs much less. I think that the Vantage shape makes way more sense in the 86 and 90 models. Long way of saying: if you are a quiver-of-one skier who specifically doesn’t seek out off piste powder but still wants to ski on piste in variable conditions, this could be a great one for you.

Stockli Stormrider 88
Length: 177
I owned a previous generation of the 88 and I loved it. I always found myself slightly between sizes. The 177 was more accessible and quick. The 186 was a point down hill, count 5 seconds, and then turn sort of ski. And the tears streaming backward out of my eyes were 50% joy and 50% fear. The new 177 feels like it gives me both worlds, and even at 6'1", I feel right at home on this ski. Unshakable confidence across all snow types. Crisp, clean turning. The 88 is the gateway drug to edgy and more aggressive narrow skis...but it's a perfectly satisfying end state as well. For my California customer, I don't think it quite works as a one ski quiver, unless one deliberately plans to avoid deeper days. It’s too narrow to be a powder ski. But my goodness, this ski is smoother than a Lindt truffle and sharper than a Victorinox chef's knife. I was testing a host of ~88 mm skis and I almost felt bad because I took this ski out as a baseline. It's hard for any other ski to measure up. I’ll stop short of calling it a one ski quiver, and in the case of this ski, I think that’s a great thing: it’s so powerful and confident on piste while still being manageable in tighter off piste runs.

Volkl Kendo 88
Length: 177 and 184
I tested this ski in a 177 and 184, and I found myself between sizes. It's powerful. It's edgy. It floats adequately and doesn't hook too badly. The 3D radius sidecut is novel and discernible, enabling different turn lengths. Relative to the buttery smooth (and $1,000) Stormrider 88, I found the Kendo to have a little shudder on hardpack. The 184 was a plank for me, and I was more than happy to trade it in for the 177. I would enjoy it in perfect corduroy the most.

Blizzard Brahma 88
Length: 180
The Brahma was a surprise ski for me. I like metal skis a lot, but hand-flexing this ski, plus negative experiences with the Bonafide, led me to think I would not enjoy the Brahma. I was wrong. It was a wonderfully precise carver. It navigated day-old pow with ease and aplomb. It was very comfortable at speed. Given that flat tail, I think it is a compelling option for the charger who knows how to finish a turn but still wants to hit some off-piste runs...but not too many. It does demand an athletic user, and folks who don't know they want metal will more likely be at home on other, more forgiving skis.

Salomon QST 92
I've enjoyed every 19/20 QST. They are all fun, accessible, smooth, and reasonably precise and stable. From my experience, they ski more similar (to each other) than different, at least in the models from 92 to 106. The 92 was only available in a 177, and I would have grabbed the next size up if it were available. It ended up not mattering. I was able to draw long and short carves with surprising ease. I did not take this ski up to high speed, but it seemed perfectly stable given the test scenario. The great thing about the QSTs, and the 92 in particular, is how easy they are to ski. That said, even aggressive skiers seem to like them. I'm going long on Salomon for next year. I would still choose the next size up (184?) for me in this model, but the fact that I could enjoy the 177 means that Salomon has succeeded in creating an amazingly broad sweet spot for the QST line.

Nordica Enforcer 93
One of my old and dear friends. I still love this ski more than just about any other ski in the category. As great as the Kore 93 is, the Enforcer offers that much more stability and confidence, especially when the going gets weird. It's also a better carving tool. Sure, you need to have the fitness to bend this ski, but it will reward you with the ability to drive through chop. It really stood out to me as the best Enforcer, save maybe the new 104. Or possibly the 110, if one has the good fortune to ski that ski in the right conditions. But the 93 is a very tempting option for the Tahoe one ski quiver. We took a winding road from Snowbasin's gondola, and I ended up doing figure 8s behind a ski patroller on a much narrower ski...until I accelerated past him. Love this ski, and was glad I took the time to ski it again.

Note: Nordica has scrapped the 93 for an all-new 94 mm waisted model. I have not skied the new ski.

Nordica Enforcer 88
Length: 179
Admittedly, I was skeptical about this ski. The 93 was already such a smooth and crisp carver, I anticipated that the 88 was less of a ski design innovation and more of a product line extension. I hate when I let my prejudice get the better of me, but I came away with a similar impression after skiing. I didn't find myself enjoying turns any more on this ski...in some ways, I missed the 93. Maybe the Enforcer 88 can steal some market from the Brahma. Maybe there are some folks with bum knees who won't go for the 93. But it just didn't thrill me as a new offering. Still thought it was a smooth, polished, and enjoyable ski. Just not a thrillingly new or different ski. The reps (and some reviewers) tout the comparatively stiff tail. I’m a good carver, but I didn’t really notice it as a benefit over the 93, which is my pick purely for versatility. All that being said, the fact that Enforcers have won so many magazine awards and sold so many units, my guess is that there are a bunch of folks who have been holding out for a narrower ski, and I bet they will jump on this one.

Armada Invictus 89 Ti
Woo hoo! The Invictus had me hooting and hollering, even as I grabbed it at the tail end of two full days of ski testing. Really fast, smooth, confident ski. I felt like the whole mountain was my carving playground. My colleague loves his Invictus and so I had to give it a shot - think this would be a great ski for somebody who rips but still wants the freedom to play. It has the confidence at speed that you get from the Brahma 88 and Kendo 88, but it was so much more FUN on the mountain. For me, it was a shockingly close second to the Stormrider 88.

Note: Armada has discontinued Invictus in favor of the all-new Declivity series, which are similarly carving-oriented / directional / charging skis with metal. People seem to love them. I haven’t skied them.

Elan Ripstick 96 Black
A premium ski in a relatively attainable price. Elan’s whole Ripstick line uses asymmetrical sidecut that increases edge hold on inside edges while easing up on the outsides. Translation: more power where you need it, while enabling you to smear off a little speed when the going gets dicey. I skied the 96 after ripping around almost all day on ~90mm skis, and found it to be very responsive for a comparatively wider ski. I’m still partial to skis with metal, but for somebody who likes the lightness of carbon, I think the Black edition - which adds an extra layer of carbon and thus an extra “top gear” for high speed charging - is a really appealing ski.

Armada ARV 96 Ti
Test Location: Deer Valley, Squaw Valley sleeper spring powder day
Excellent ski. One of the first skis I loved riding in a more centered stance. Relaxed and confident, and spectacular carving and edge hold for a twin tip, somewhat new school shaped ski. In fact, those adjectives feel wrong for this model. I enjoyed a bonus day on this ski ripping around Squaw Valley with Mike LaRoche. I had mistakenly predicted more groomer action, but Mike showed me all the powder stashes, often times a foot or more of chalky but light pow. The 96 did shockingly well given even in the deeper snow, and was an animal on the prepared piste. I own this ski.

Armada Tracer 98
Test Location: Deer Valley
Easy, smooth, a close cousin to the Salomon QST 99, but perhaps not quite as damp. Armada has trimmed some weight here, clearly shooting for the touring market. My favorite top sheet of the year. It’s worth noting that in addition to being a fairly light ski, Armada built the Tracer to have more mass concentrated under foot, which makes touring more efficient.

Stockli Stormrider 95
O Stormrider 95. How I love thee. Let me count the ways. You are the most stable and eerily quiet ski on snow. You take any turn shape with ease. You glide through chop like a maglev train. You'll take me as fast as I want to go and still let me scrub speed if I get into trouble. Your edges slice into snow of all types, from corduroy to graupel to death cookies to boilerplate. You charge through crud better than the likes of the Mantra or the Bonafide, but you still let me feel the texture of snow. I hate most expensive things, but you make me question all that. Call me.

On-Piste / Groomer Skis (<88 mm waist or groomer specific construction)

Stockli Laser AX
Length: 175
Test Location: Deer Valley, Squaw Valley, Alpine Meadows
This is one of my favorite skis in the world. It’s a firm snow ski, and is rather not much fun in tight, firm bumps and similar terrain. Having spent years on skis north of 100mm, stepping onto the Laser AX’s 78 felt like I had been given the keys to an Italian sports car after schlubbing around in SUVs. Lightning quick edge-to-edge. Disturbingly stable at any speed. Edge hold that bends space-time. All of that, while still being fun to ski, whereas most other race-inspired skis will absolutely punish you if you don’t manage them. I own this ski and I pretty much will beg you to get out and try one for yourself. It will change how you feel about skiing.

Stöckli Laser AR
A new Laser! Hooray! This is a great new offering. It's interesting how Stöckli skis always have a lot of common characteristics. They are smooth. They have superb edge hold. They beg you (and sometimes taunt you) to open up the throttle. So what does the AR bring that's new? Stöckli has apparently positioned it as the least firm snow specific Laser. Softer tail for sure. I found it to be more user-friendly even than the AX, which I praise for its user-friendliness. The AR is more forgiving, which I was pleased to find when I bombed through a narrow gulley and urgently needed to scrub speed on the snowy edges while turning through the icy trough. It's not quite as crisp as the AX, nor is it the speed-hungry powerhouse that the Stormrider 88 is. But it is more than capable in those departments, and it won't make you pay the price for getting a little loose. One Stockli rep provided the following analogy: “The AR is the Stormrider 95 to the AX’s Stormrider 88.” I felt this checked out accordingly. I think this translates into a very appealing package for the advanced-but-not-quite expert skier. I would enthusiastically sell it to anybody who wants a consummate carving tool and has the pocketbook to buy it.

Atomic Vantage 90 Ti
Great ski. Fast, precise, and exciting. And a reasonably great price. This ski tempts you to higher speed. One of my favorite runs of the day, and when I turned around, my fiancé was hot on my tails riding the same ski. She later told me: “I could have passed you if I wanted to.” It was awesome seeing her rip up the mountain. The Vantage 90 Ti prefers firm snow obviously, and I deliberately left it out of the all-mountain narrow category in my review because of its shape. I liked it better than the Kendo 88.

Atomic Vantage 86 Ti
A very close cousin to the 90 Ti. I marginally preferred the 90, but I could attribute that to deteriorating conditions (or legs). Clean, precise, quick. Very fun.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
hmm grabbed a pair of 115FR 188 on sale, wonder how they are compared to the 102fr, maybe enforcer 110 replacements?

appreciate the time and effort testing/writing.

I see so many rage about the Enforcer 88 and interesting you likeing the 93 so much, but not the 88. I got 55-65lbs on you, and for me that makes both the 88 and 93 feel to soft, I can tolerate this in a 104 or 110 (but 110 is actually quite good) and 104 is .. quite fun just not that chargy.

Last edited:

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thanks for the very detailed explanations in your reviews of a ton of skis! Funny how the two above members posted first(@ski otter 2 and @anders_nor), as I thought of them when reading your great reviews because it sounds like all 4 of us enjoy similar skis!

I’m the same size as @Tree Stashes so it was interesting reading the reviews on skis I liked and didn’t like or even own. LOVING the Kendo 88 in 184cm with it mounted at the plus 2cm position but it came with a horrible edge high tune and 1.5 degree base bevels so lots of work to get it to where it should be. Now super fun at any speeds like a mini Mantra 102. Better grip than an Enforcer 88(which I always thought needs less taper) and more comfortable at high speeds than a Brahma. Super fun ski.

The Enforcer 94, new Brahma 88 and Bonafide and Dynastar MFree 108 will all be skis worth your demo as I bet you’d like them too. Try the Rustler 11 188cm or 192cm at plus 1cm or 2cm mounts as it makes them far more fun at our size!

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
mantra 102, 191cm is fun at any speed, as long as its over 50mph

1.5 base bevel should just mean it doesnt exactly turn on its own, but still be nice when you turn it though? guess the edge high doesnt help, but hey, its less weird than base high ;)

Im still on the fence about kendo88 since I have the deacon 84 which is what..181? 182? no taper etc, not 100% convinced yet the 184 will ski bigger than it. they should make a 188-189 or 191 out of it as well, but interesting that you at 6'1 prefer the 177 over 184, but could be weight as well? in theory the kendo 88 is VERY appealing to me, just to short.

Katana 108s are coming in and people are loving it, so considering getting my M102 s big brother, but its not like I get to ski anything that big this year....

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Venture into my weird and obsessive mind...if you dare.

For your perusal and reference, my notes on the ~40 pairs of skis I got to demo last year. I know many folks have made ski purchase decisions already, but for you fence straddlers: maybe my notes can push you over the edge. You may not agree with my notes, and every skier has their own definition of fun. For example, I genuinely dislike the Bonafide, which is one of the most popular skis of all time. I split my notes into four sections: powder, all-mountain wide, all-mountain narrow, and piste skis. I found exceptional skis in each category. It’s a good year to be a skier.

Notes on Tester:
I’m 6’1”, 170 lbs, 35 yo. I get most of my ski days in North Lake Tahoe, Mammoth, and Utah. I work part-time in a small ski shop. My tastes in skis definitely reflects my bias: I like heavy and especially metal skis because they cope better with our beloved Sierra snow (marine, heavy). I don’t get as much time on independent ski brands as I would like - something I hope to change. I try to acknowledge my bias while still highlighting the virtues of skis I write about.

Powder Skis (110+ mm waist)
The powder ski! The ski you save for those special days! The ski that keeps you up at night knowing that your body and spirit will transcend time and space through this sacred instrument! Most people associate their powder skis with the best times, and I’ll make the argument that most “quiver of one skis” fall apart when faced with 12”+ of fluff. So do the right thing and consider adding one of these to your lineup!

Blizzard Spur
Test Location: Heavy sierra powder day at Mammoth Mountains, Snowbasin ~15” powder day
The Spur is in a category by itself, which is apparent just by looking at the asymmetrical cut. Insane float, a unique blend of sturdy and surfy. I found it easy and reliable at any speed, though it did have a tendency to get hooked on the heavy pow. In blower, the Spur would be an effortless dream. I found it easier to manage than the Nordica Enforcer Pro and the Dynastar Proto, a little more turn-y and fun than those skis, which excel at charging down gnarly terrain. Somewhat regrettably, I did not realize that the Spur is designed to be worn both ways: swapping your left ski to your right will either shorten or lengthen the radius. I rode the longer radius configuration.

Note: Blizzard has performed a major update to the Spur for 2020/21. I have not skied it. The new Spur no longer has the asymmetrical sidecut, and they dropped the mean-looking murdered out topsheet with pink sidewalls for a hideous green / blue geometric topsheet.

Blizzard Rustler 11
Length: 188 and 192
Test Location: Heavy sierra powder day at Mammoth Mountain, Mammoth January Storm (windblown powder), Alpine Meadows March storm (4” of cream on top of 12” of Sierra cement)
The rustler 11 has been a favorite of mine all season. I went up to the 192 today to push the limits of this very versatile ski. I could manage the 192, but it is a very different ski;
Blizzard reps tell me that it is really built for pros on the Freeride World Tour. I continue to think that this is the perfect resort powder ski. It enables me to attack everything from fresh lines to tracked pow. It can rip around on groomers getting back to the lift. For a metal ski, it has a fantastic ooey-gooey interface with soft snow. Some testers fault the rustler for lacking snappy response on groomers, and I’ll acknowledge that it does not have the race-bred super G feel that you might find in an Enforcer 110. But I still think it's the best ski in the category. It's versatile and approachable for a ski this wide, and I never lacked float. It's essentially three skis in one: a super fun surfy pow ski, a surprisingly clean and nimble carver, and an end of day or leftover crud buster. I now own this ski.

Armada ARV116 JJ
Test Location: Alpine Meadows, what looked to be a powder day turned into cement with 2” of cream on top.
I was excited to take out this legendary ski for the first time, knowing that it would be a different beast altogether from other skis in the category. I was thrilled with the experience, and felt that the JJ provides a unique surfy / smeary experience that I absolutely loved. I would love to get it out in deeper snow sometime, where those qualities would really shine. Still, I was pleased and impressed with how the ski did while cruising groomers back to the lift. This ski skis a little short - would have liked to try the 192 (and I’m 6’1” // 170 lbs).

Armada Tracer 118
I was impressed by how much this ski liked speed. I think it makes great sense as a hybrid resort / backcountry ski for the skier who likes speed. It floats great, but I found it a little sloppy on edge hold, at least in heavy (wet) Sierra pow. May have been the conditions, but other skis were handling better. I loved the graphics. I would give it another shot on different snow.

Armada Declivity X
Surprise hit for me. I thought it would be a big mountain high speed tool, but found it to be surprisingly accessible and versatile. Close call with the Rustler 11, these were my two favorite resort powder skis. At 115mm waist, a wonderful dedicated powder ski. I look forward to riding it again sometime.

Armada ARG 133
This was a huge treat to test, and I think I kept it out longer than any other ski in the somewhat epic blizzard conditions at Mammoth. Like the Blizzard Spur, this is a purpose-built ski. And that purpose is spraying face shots all over the mountain. I found the ARG to be great at short cuts and yet still stable when I pointed them out. Of the pure powder skis, this was my favorite. Reserved for the deepest days only.

Nordica Enforcer Pro
Length: 191
I've been a huge fan of the enforcer line for some time, but never got to try the pro / 115. It feels like an enforcer for sure. It's a big ski for sure. I would love to take this ski to Alaska. I love that it can mow down chop. It certainly rails on groomers. But...I'm not sure this ski really makes sense for people who aren't pro skiers. Although it's fun on groomers, it's not much more fun than other powder skis, and it's more of a chore in tight spots. I think I learned something about how Enforcers win a lot of awards: the skis nail a lot of the evaluation criteria. But that doesn't always translate to fun. And in the case of a powder ski, railing groomers is beside the point.

Dynastar Proto
Length: 189
Test Location: Mammoth WWSRA Demo Days
I tested this ski right next to the Enforcer Pro, and overall I preferred it as a powder ski. They are both high speed float masters, and I suspect they both will be most at home charging steep lines where you need to point'em out. I found the Proto to be a little planky, but nevertheless it was surprisingly agile and nimble. I found myself hopping turns more than slarving or smearing, but I still charged down the hill with confidence, even in tight corners. The Proto got my vote for a high speed pow ski, but the Rustler 11 and the Declivity were more accessible and well rounded.

Salomon QST 118
I enjoyed the QST 118, and I wouldn't have a hard time selling it. It carves nicely. It floats beautifully. Lots of rocker, decently stiff tail. I could imagine falling in love when skiing it in heroic conditions, but I could say the same about a lot of skis.

Head Kore 117
The 117 feels like the most different ski in the Kore lineup. With almost no camber, this ski is buttery and quick at lower speeds or in deeper snow. The ski felt a little less grippy and solid as compared to other Kores, or even other skis in this category, which makes a lot of sense for this ski. In the end, I like this ski a lot for somebody who wants a pivoty pow ski that can handle a little speed, but not too much. As with other Kore skis, I’ll continue my complaint that they are in fact too light. Utah skiers may disagree.

Atomic Bent Chetler 120
Test Location: 2+ foot dump at Mammoth Mountain, storm day with high winds
Having previously tried (and disliked) the Bent Chetler 100, I wasn’t sure how I would like the 120. It turns out to be a much better shape and size for this style of playful, surfy construction. I struggled a bit with the forward stance, though that can probably be blamed on the heavier Sierra snow I skied that day. Floatation is obviously in a league of its own, and for the skier who has the good fortune to score deep powder, the Bent Chetler is the perfect surfy, playful feel that encapsulates the carefree fun of skiing in powder. For me personally, I still need my powder ski to hold up for afternoon leftovers, and I felt the 120 was a little too light for that. I do love the idea of using this as a touring setup, where fresh powder is almost endless. Makes a great all-purpose powder ski if you don’t want to fly with a downhill and backcountry setup when you fly to Japan.

Fishcer Ranger 115 Fr
Test Location: 2+ foot dump at Alpine Meadows
Hats off to Fischer for their Fr lineup. They managed to marry the crisp, round carve of their race lineage with a ski that surfs, slashes, and pivots. I really enjoyed the 115, and have wondered if maybe I would have preferred it over my very beloved Rustler 11. I got to ski the Ranger 115 in a late season storm at Alpine Meadows and the ski had a wonderful blend of playfulness while still being really smooth over the rutted tracks back to the chair. I plan to revisit this ski again.

All-Mountain Wide (99-109 mm waist)

Probably the most versatile category for folks in the North American West. I like all-mountain wide skis a lot because you can pretty much grab one without looking at the forecast - or knowing what terrain you will end up riding - and still have a great time. These skis have to balance fun and float with precision and power. A tall order - but there are a ton of fantastic options this year.

Nordica Enforcer 104 Free
Test Location: Heavy sierra powder day at Mammoth Mountain, Snowbasin Demo Days
Fantastic, accessible, carves and smears. Exactly what Nordica needed to add. Enough float for any Sierra powder day. Abundant fun factor. I tried it both at Mammoth, where it was fun and smeary, and at Snowbasin, where it transitioned between fluffy stashes and dusty but firm groomers with ease. A+ ski. If I could only own one ski next year, this would be it. Highly recommended for the energetic, confident skier who wants one ski that does it all.

Salomon QST 106
This ski surprised me. It immediately made me feel like I was one with the snow. The balance felt perfect from the first turn. It was easy to get on edge and its carving accuracy was fantastic. I skied it in the 188, and was surprised how easy it was. I would guess that intermediate skiers would enjoy this ski a lot. That being said, I skied with some expert skiers at Snowbasin who were ripping on the 106 without a problem. Considering conditions, I thought it was wonderful for the heavier pow.

Dynastar Legend 106
Although by no means a bad ski, the Legend 106 did not stand out in its category, which is filled with a lot of compelling options. I found it to be more fun and forgiving than I expected, but I was really thrown by the tail, which felt loose and wiggly in the soft stuff. I probably would love this ski on firm snow and high speeds, and I might reach for this for more expert skiers, but I had more fun on the Salomon QST 106 and the Nordica Enforcer 104. I thought I would have preferred the Legend, which has a remarkably stiff hand flex. But the swimmy tail was very unusual and did not excite me.

**Note: Dynastar discontinued the whole Legend lineup for 2020/21, replacing it with what appears to be a great offering in the M-Pro and M-Free series of skis. The new lineup incorporates polyurethane into the layup, a somewhat novel core material that should be very smooth. I stand by my critique of the Legend series.

Salomon QST 99
Overall I liked this ski and I think it will sell very well. At 99 mm, there were better skis for the blizzard conditions. Nevertheless I found the QST to provide adequate float. It was fun and easy to ski, and would be very accessible for intermediate skiers. It didn't grab on to the heavy and somewhat wet snow. It also got knocked around a bit. But a lot of users will love this ski as an all mountain daily driver that has plenty of fun and forgiveness.

Blizzard Rustler 10
Length: 180 and 188
Test Location: Heavy sierra powder day at Mammoth Mountain, Deer Valley (most firm snow, some dust on crust)
I’m a huge fan of Rustlers, and I like the direction of this new, more stable, more confident ski. Still totally fun in trees and deep stashes. I skied with a friend who rode an Atomic Vantage 97 Ti - a much more firm snow oriented ski - and I had no trouble keeping up once we opened up onto groomers. I loved this ski. I took it out again for a sunny day at Deer Valley and I continue to be impressed with its firm and soft snow handling. I struggled a bit in the rutted and firm bumps off piste, which were crust underneath a 3" dash of dust. I'm glad I got that exposure but I still love this ski and would consider it an excellent quiver of one choice. The 188 is probably my ski, but I felt pretty stable in the 180 as well. If I’m being really honest, I would love it in a 185 cm length.

Fischer Ranger 102 FR
Length: 177 and 184 cm
The 102 is a fun ski that almost anybody can hop on and enjoy. I found its floatation and playfulness to be excellent. It was delightful on a wonderful steep pitch of mostly untracked pow. I cruised onto some mellow packed powder groomers and found it incredibly easy to get on edge and carve nice arcs. The ski produces a remarkably round carve shape which was novel and fun, if not overpowering. The ski got a little lost in some tracked off-piste lower down the mountain, which makes me worry about how it would hold up in heavier Sierra snow, but that lighter weight means this ski is just a lot more pure fun. Given its ease of use, I would enthusiastically recommend it to a skier who wants a well rounded all mountain ski that doesn't punish them. To contrast it with the Ranger 99 Ti, this ski was more fun and approachable, and I felt it did great in powder.

Head Kore 105
The Kore series has done well for Head, and has helped a lot of skiers get into a freeride oriented ski that allows them to shred without draining their fitness. I like the 105 a lot, and I think the ultralight construction makes a ton of sense for a ski that ought to be more soft snow oriented. Yes, it still rails on groomers. Yes, it is disturbingly stable at speed for its weight. And it's rather dreamy in powder. My only complaint against this ski is that I wish it had more heft to charge through crud and even tracked pow. Many skiers will naturally gravitate toward is lightweight and highlight this aspect as a strength, so I file this critique as a minor one. I do give Head props for adapting each Kore mold to the demands of that model, and the 105 feels like a virtuous fulfillment of this category's most sought after features. I would vote for an Enforcer 104 free or a QST 106 as close competition for this ski. And the Ranger 107ti for the more expert, charge-y skier. One slight ding on this ski: the lack of a mounting plate seems to produce higher than normal binding failures. I’m not sure if Head has addressed this, but other ultra lightweight skis (old DPS) have needed to similar tweaks. Consider a helicoil.

Note: Head informed me that all Kores have been updated with a mounting plate for models from 2018/19 and forward.

Fischer Ranger 107 Ti
Length: 182 cm
When I learned about the updates to the Ranger Ti series, I was immediately stoked and excited to ski them. Long a fan of the Ranger series, my only complaint on recent experiences was that I wanted more power out of the ski. Be careful what you wish for. The Ti is a beastly ski. I love its powerful carving. I love how stable it is in crud. And when I got the ski in untracked Utah pow, it floated like a butterfly, only to shred groomers just a few turns later with that deliciously precise Fischer continuous carve. All that said, this is a demanding ski, best for athletic skiers. I would struggle in tight bumps or rutted tree lines. I still love the ski...but maybe it could ease up a bit? Sincerely, Goldilocks

Fischer Ranger 99 Ti
Length: 181 and 188
Test Location: Snowbasin Demo Days, Alpine Meadows spring powder day
I expounded on the Ranger Ti series in the 107 Ti review. The 188 length was too much for me. It's a fantastic carving tool. It has no discernible speed limit. It punished me in the bumps. It’s labor-intensive off-piste. It's a beastly ski for sure, and those really strong demanding high speed skiers are going to love it. I think it still skis circles around the Mantra M5 in basically every category. But I will be thoughtful about which customers get to look at the 99. On a later trip, I grabbed a 181 and felt much more at home on that length of ski. I still found the ski to be a little planky for my 170 lbs while skiing through some end-of-day pow at Alpine Meadows. It was phenomenal on groomers, and thus I find it to be an interesting ski for a quiver-of-one skier. Realistically, many skiers spend most of their time on groomers, but don’t want to be left out in the cold if the powder comes. For an all-mountain skier who wants one ski that is high performance on piste but still fun in powder, the 99 Ti could work nicely, but only if that skier has sheer strength and technique in spades.

Völkl Mantra 102
If you read my Enforcer 88 review, you might expect me to dismiss the Mantra 102 as another business-driven product line extension from the smash success of this year's Mantra M5. Credit where it's due: the Mantra 102 is not only new and different - it's better. While the M5 clearly excels as a high speed, long radius, directional charger, the 102 is in fact a much more versatile ski, while still maintaining its charger pedigree. The triple radius sidecut - while not an altogether new innovation - does make this ski feel more maneuverable in tight spots. It's accordingly more floaty and fun, and more smooth than my memory of the M5. I really liked this ski, but the competition (Enforcer 104, Ranger 102) are also really great skis. I think the Mantra 102 will find its niche as a more versatile and therefore broader appeal Mantra. Fans of stiff tails that pop you from one turn to the next will enjoy this offering in the all-mountain wide category.

Armada ARV106
Test Location: Alpine Meadows surprise spring powder day
I tested this ski out of step with the rest of the all mountain wide testing I did, so it’s harder for me to do apples-to-apples. I’ll start by saying that I generally prefer metal in my skis, and the list of all-wood skis that I actually like is pretty short. Well, the ARV 106 is definitely on there, and may actually mark a turning point in my attitude toward a) wood core skis positioned for soft snow and b) more forward stance mount. I took the ski up to Alpine Meadows and cut some afternoon stash laps on Alpine Bowl Chair. We were hiking Upper Saddle to High Yellow Face and Our Father, and the ARV was super fun. I found it to be a good combination of floaty and nimble. It was still perfectly capable as I hit higher speeds on the runout. The competition in all mountain wide is definitely challenging, but I think the ARV 106 stands out for giving a little more feedback and connection with softer snow. Like many of the all-mountain wide skis, this ski was still plenty of fun on groomers, so despite its width and lack of metal, it certainly would hold up for most western skiers.
All-Mountain Narrow (88-98 mm waist skis)

An interesting category of skis. Some folks are going to like these skis as a potential quiver of one, particularly if you don’t actively seek fresh tracks. I generally feel like too many skiers, especially young skiers, overlook frontside skis. It is their loss. These skis are quicker, rippier, and more exciting, and they can make boilerplate groomers feel like your own personal race track. It’s worth trying one of these if you haven’t been on a narrower ski in a while.

Atomic Vantage 97 Ti
The snow was turning increasingly wet by the time I took out the Vantage Ti. Not the right conditions for this ski, but I needed to try it out so I could differentiate from the Mantra M5. I liked it. Seems to be more versatile than the M5. Still charges. It’s an interesting build: at 97mm waist, I’m kind of scratching my head. Is this really a powder ski? If not, why would you want a ski this wide? I suppose that the extra width comes in handy when plowing throw crud, chop, and rutted snow, but that firm and flat tail is a lot to handle in off piste conditions. My personal feeling is that once you cross the 90mm line, at least some tail early rise is pretty essential. That being said, one of my favorite skis is the Stöckli Stormrider 95, which has a firm if not punishing tail, and to this ski’s credit, it compares favorably to the Stöckli and costs much less. I think that the Vantage shape makes way more sense in the 86 and 90 models. Long way of saying: if you are a quiver-of-one skier who specifically doesn’t seek out off piste powder but still wants to ski on piste in variable conditions, this could be a great one for you.

Stöckli Stormrider 88
I owned a previous generation of the 88 and I loved it. I always found myself slightly between sizes. The 177 was more accessible and quick. The 186 was a point down hill, count 5 seconds, and then turn sort of ski. And the tears streaming backward out of my eyes were 50% joy and 50% fear. The new 177 feels like it gives me both worlds, and even at 6'1", I feel right at home on this ski. Unshakable confidence across all snow types. Crisp, clean turning. The 88 is the gateway drug to edgy and more aggressive narrow skis...but it's a perfectly satisfying end state as well. For my California customer, I don't think it quite works as a one ski quiver, unless one deliberately plans to avoid deeper days. It’s too narrow to be a powder ski. But my goodness, this ski is smoother than a Lindt truffle and sharper than a Victorinox chef's knife. I was testing a host of ~88 mm skis and I almost felt bad because I took this ski out as a baseline. It's hard for any other ski to measure up. I’ll stop short of calling it a one ski quiver, and in the case of this ski, I think that’s a great thing: it’s so powerful and confident on piste while still being manageable in tighter off piste runs.

Völkl Kendo 88
Length: 177 and 184
I tested this ski in a 177 and 184, and I found myself between sizes. It's powerful. It's edgy. It floats adequately and doesn't hook too badly. The 3D radius sidecut is novel and discernible, enabling different turn lengths. Relative to the buttery smooth (and $1,000) Stormrider 88, I found the Kendo to have a little shudder on hardpack. The 184 was a plank for me, and I was more than happy to trade it in for the 177. I would enjoy it in perfect corduroy the most.

Blizzard Brahma 88
The Brahma was a surprise ski for me. I like metal skis a lot, but hand-flexing this ski, plus negative experiences with the Bonafide, led me to think I would not enjoy the Brahma. I was wrong. It was a wonderfully precise carver. It navigated day-old pow with ease and aplomb. It was very comfortable at speed. Given that flat tail, I think it is a compelling option for the charger who knows how to finish a turn but still wants to hit some off-piste runs...but not too many. It does demand an athletic user, and folks who don't know they want metal will more likely be at home on other, more forgiving skis.

Salomon QST 92
I've enjoyed every 19/20 QST. They are all fun, accessible, smooth, and reasonably precise and stable. From my experience, they ski more similar (to each other) than different, at least in the models from 92 to 106. The 92 was only available in a 177, and I would have grabbed the next size up if it were available. It ended up not mattering. I was able to draw long and short carves with surprising ease. I did not take this ski up to high speed, but it seemed perfectly stable given the test scenario. The great thing about the QSTs, and the 92 in particular, is how easy they are to ski. That said, even aggressive skiers seem to like them. I'm going long on Salomon for next year. I would still choose the next size up (184?) for me in this model, but the fact that I could enjoy the 177 means that Salomon has succeeded in creating an amazingly broad sweet spot for the QST line.

Nordica Enforcer 93
One of my old and dear friends. I still love this ski more than just about any other ski in the category. As great as the Kore 93 is, the Enforcer offers that much more stability and confidence, especially when the going gets weird. It's also a better carving tool. Sure, you need to have the fitness to bend this ski, but it will reward you with the ability to drive through chop. It really stood out to me as the best Enforcer, save maybe the new 104. Or possibly the 110, if one has the good fortune to ski that ski in the right conditions. But the 93 is a very tempting option for the Tahoe one ski quiver. We took a winding road from Snowbasin's gondola, and I ended up doing figure 8s behind a ski patroller on a much narrower ski...until I accelerated past him. Love this ski, and was glad I took the time to ski it again.

Note: Nordica has scrapped the 93 for an all-new 94 mm waisted model. I have not skied the new ski.

Nordica Enforcer 88
Admittedly, I was skeptical about this ski. The 93 was already such a smooth and crisp carver, I anticipated that the 88 was less of a ski design innovation and more of a product line extension. I hate when I let my prejudice get the better of me, but I came away with a similar impression after skiing. I didn't find myself enjoying turns any more on this ski...in some ways, I missed the 93. Maybe the Enforcer 88 can steal some market from the Brahma. Maybe there are some folks with bum knees who won't go for the 93. But it just didn't thrill me as a new offering. Still thought it was a smooth, polished, and enjoyable ski. Just not a thrillingly new or different ski. The reps (and some reviewers) tout the comparatively stiff tail. I’m a good carver, but I didn’t really notice it as a benefit over the 93, which is my pick purely for versatility. All that being said, the fact that Enforcers have won so many magazine awards and sold so many units, my guess is that there are a bunch of folks who have been holding out for a narrower ski, and I bet they will jump on this one.

Armada Invictus 89 Ti
Woo hoo! The Invictus had me hooting and hollering, even as I grabbed it at the tail end of two full days of ski testing. Really fast, smooth, confident ski. I felt like the whole mountain was my carving playground. My colleague loves his Invictus and so I had to give it a shot - think this would be a great ski for somebody who rips but still wants the freedom to play. It has the confidence at speed that you get from the Brahma 88 and Kendo 88, but it was so much more FUN on the mountain. For me, it was a shockingly close second to the Stormrider 88.

Note: Armada has discontinued Invictus in favor of the all-new Declivity series, which are similarly carving-oriented / directional / charging skis with metal. People seem to love them. I haven’t skied them.

Elan Ripstick 96 Black - 184
A premium ski in a relatively attainable price. Elan’s whole Ripstick line uses asymmetrical sidecut that increases edge hold on inside edges while easing up on the outsides. Translation: more power where you need it, while enabling you to smear off a little speed when the going gets dicey. I skied the 96 after ripping around almost all day on ~90mm skis, and found it to be very responsive for a comparatively wider ski. I’m still partial to skis with metal, but for somebody who likes the lightness of carbon, I think the Black edition - which adds an extra layer of carbon and thus an extra “top gear” for high speed charging - is a really appealing ski.

Armada ARV 96 Ti
Test Location: Deer Valley, Squaw Valley sleeper spring powder day
Excellent ski. One of the first skis I loved riding in a more centered stance. Relaxed and confident, and spectacular carving and edge hold for a twin tip, somewhat new school shaped ski. In fact, those adjectives feel wrong for this model. I enjoyed a bonus day on this ski ripping around Squaw Valley with Mike LaRoche. I had mistakenly predicted more groomer action, but Mike showed me all the powder stashes, often times a foot or more of chalky but light pow. The 96 did shockingly well given even in the deeper snow, and was an animal on the prepared piste. I own this ski.

Armada Tracer 98
Easy, smooth, a close cousin to the Salomon QST 99, but perhaps not quite as damp. Armada has trimmed some weight here, clearly shooting for the touring market. My favorite top sheet of the year. It’s worth noting that in addition to being a fairly light ski, Armada built the Tracer to have more mass concentrated under foot, which makes touring more efficient.

Stöckli Stormrider 95 - 177
O Stormrider 95. How I love thee. Let me count the ways. You are the most stable and eerily quiet ski on snow. You take any turn shape with ease. You glide through chop like a maglev train. You'll take me as fast as I want to go and still let me scrub speed if I get into trouble. Your edges slice into snow of all types, from corduroy to graupel to death cookies to boilerplate. You charge through crud better than the likes of the Mantra or the Bonafide, but you still let me feel the texture of snow. I hate most expensive things, but you make me question all that. Call me.

On-Piste / Groomer Skis (<88 mm waist or groomer specific construction)

Stöckli Laser AX
Length: 175
Test Location: Deer Valley, Squaw Valley, Alpine Meadows
This is one of my favorite skis in the world. It’s a firm snow ski, and is rather not much fun in tight, firm bumps and similar terrain. Having spent years on skis north of 100mm, stepping onto the Laser AX’s 78 felt like I had been given the keys to an Italian sports car after schlubbing around in SUVs. Lightning quick edge-to-edge. Disturbingly stable at any speed. Edge hold that bends space-time. All of that, while still being fun to ski, whereas most other race-inspired skis will absolutely punish you if you don’t manage them. I own this ski and I pretty much will beg you to get out and try one for yourself. It will change how you feel about skiing.

Stöckli Laser AR
A new Laser! Hooray! This is a great new offering. It's interesting how Stöckli skis always have a lot of common characteristics. They are smooth. They have superb edge hold. They beg you (and sometimes taunt you) to open up the throttle. So what does the AR bring that's new? Stöckli has apparently positioned it as the least firm snow specific Laser. Softer tail for sure. I found it to be more user-friendly even than the AX, which I praise for its user-friendliness. The AR is more forgiving, which I was pleased to find when I bombed through a narrow gulley and urgently needed to scrub speed on the snowy edges while turning through the icy trough. It's not quite as crisp as the AX, nor is it the speed-hungry powerhouse that the Stormrider 88 is. But it is more than capable in those departments, and it won't make you pay the price for getting a little loose. One Stöckli rep provided the following analogy: “The AR is the Stormrider 95 to the AX’s Stormrider 88.” I felt this checked out accordingly. I think this translates into a very appealing package for the advanced-but-not-quite expert skier. I would enthusiastically sell it to anybody who wants a consummate carving tool and has the pocketbook to buy it.

Atomic Vantage 90 Ti
Great ski. Fast, precise, and exciting. And a reasonably great price. This ski tempts you to higher speed. One of my favorite runs of the day, and when I turned around, my fiancé was hot on my tails riding the same ski. She later told me: “I could have passed you if I wanted to.” It was awesome seeing her rip up the mountain. The Vantage 90 Ti prefers firm snow obviously, and I deliberately left it out of the all-mountain narrow category in my review because of its shape. I liked it better than the Kendo 88.

Atomic Vantage 86 Ti
A very close cousin to the 90 Ti. I marginally preferred the 90, but I could attribute that to deteriorating conditions (or legs). Clean, precise, quick. Very fun.

Nice job on these reviews. I am also a Stockli fan, so I was surprised by your comparison of the SR88 to the Laser AR. For me, those impressions are flipped. The 88 is my least favorite of the Stockli line-up. I'd take the 83mm AR over it every day of the week. I also own the AX and multiple version of the SR95. In my quiver, the 88 has no home.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
hmm grabbed a pair of 115FR 188 on sale, wonder how they are compared to the 102fr, maybe enforcer 110 replacements?

The 115 FR is an astounding ski. In 188, I found that it always begged me for more -- "really, buddy, that couldn't have been done a bit faster?" and "why so many turns back there?!". And the noted Fischer carve. Can they build a ski that does NOT carve well?!

My main skiing buddy moved from the Enforcer 110s to the Fischers and is stoked. Note that we are both "classic" skiers, and do not care for forward-mounted skis.

Ultimately my busted up knees pushed me to a 108 waist for resort pow, and this highlighted the only negative of the 115 in my book, which is that it doesn't plane that well for its width. My 108s actually do a better job in that regard.

TS
Tree Stashes

Tree Stashes

Masterfit Bootfitter
Nice job on these reviews. I am also a Stöckli fan, so I was surprised by your comparison of the SR88 to the Laser AR. For me, those impressions are flipped. The 88 is my least favorite of the Stöckli line-up. I'd take the 83mm AR over it every day of the week. I also own the AX and multiple version of the SR95. In my quiver, the 88 has no home.

What are your complaints on the 88? My comparison was really more of an analogy:

Laser AX : Laser AR
::
SR 88 : SR 95

I think I stole this analogy almost word for word from @LindseyB. The AX / 88 are more stout throughout, and I think especially in the tail. The AR / 95 are a little more forgiving and carefree.

...and I do think the AX / 88 are more "pure" Stockli skis.

Last edited:
TS
Tree Stashes

Tree Stashes

Masterfit Bootfitter

appreciate the time and effort testing/writing.

I see so many rage about the Enforcer 88 and interesting you likeing the 93 so much, but not the 88. I got 55-65lbs on you, and for me that makes both the 88 and 93 feel to soft, I can tolerate this in a 104 or 110 (but 110 is actually quite good) and 104 is .. quite fun just not that chargy.

I'm light for my height. I might revisit the E88 at some point, as impressions continue to hold positive. I can't believe we have "all-new" E94 and E100 this year.

The E104 and E110 not being as charge-y rings true: they use balsa and beech in the layup, substantially lighter woods. As the wider skis in the lineup, I think this is the right design choice: they are a little easier to finesse in variable snow and tight spots. Although I don't have the E110 on here, I think it is a phenomenal ski...but I've only skied it on a weekday at Snowbasin with two feet of license plate snow and a total of about 8 people lapping the John Paul chair.

I think the Fischer 115 FR is also a remarkable ski, and maybe even one of the "easier" wide skis, especially contrasted with the Enforcer Pro.If I had the contrast the 115 FR with the E110...I think E110 is more true in heavy snow, and more solid on edge, even grading for a 5 mm width advantage. The 115 FR is a more carefree powder ski.

Last edited:
TS
Tree Stashes

Tree Stashes

Masterfit Bootfitter
The 115 FR is an astounding ski. In 188, I found that it always begged me for more -- "really, buddy, that couldn't have been done a bit faster?" and "why so many turns back there?!". And the noted Fischer carve. Can they build a ski that does NOT carve well?!

My main skiing buddy moved from the Enforcer 110s to the Fischers and is stoked. Note that we are both "classic" skiers, and do not care for forward-mounted skis.

Ultimately my busted up knees pushed me to a 108 waist for resort pow, and this highlighted the only negative of the 115 in my book, which is that it doesn't plane that well for its width. My 108s actually do a better job in that regard.

Agreed on all accounts. Interesting point on planing: this maybe doesn't seem like a Fischer brand move, but I wonder if this could be helped with something along the lines of Armada's "Smear Tech" or Atomic's "HRZN" tip shape? I guess Fischer did make the Watea once upon a time...

Which 108 are you on?

TS
Tree Stashes

Tree Stashes

Masterfit Bootfitter
mantra 102, 191cm is fun at any speed, as long as its over 50mph

1.5 base bevel should just mean it doesnt exactly turn on its own, but still be nice when you turn it though? guess the edge high doesnt help, but hey, its less weird than base high ;)

Im still on the fence about kendo88 since I have the deacon 84 which is what..181? 182? no taper etc, not 100% convinced yet the 184 will ski bigger than it. they should make a 188-189 or 191 out of it as well, but interesting that you at 6'1 prefer the 177 over 184, but could be weight as well? in theory the kendo 88 is VERY appealing to me, just to short.

Katana 108s are coming in and people are loving it, so considering getting my M102 s big brother, but its not like I get to ski anything that big this year....

It's funny, I check a lot of boxes for a "directional" skier which should line me up as a Volkl fan, but the Mantra 102 is probably the only Volkl ski I've tried that I *really* liked. For example, I thought the Vantage 97Ti was better at doing what the Mantra does best.

I pit the Kendo against a Stormrider 88, and it just wasn't fair. By comparison, the Kendo was just really harsh and shuddery. I think this is where you come to appreciate the finer details of Stockli's production quality: precision milling the titanal to create a gradient from 0.5mm to 0.3mm (don't quote me), and blending elastomer into their adhesive. I do like Volkl's 3D radius trick; it's fun to feel a ski engage more and more as you tilt it over. Full disclosure, I'm a Dalbello diehard, but I don't see a lot else from MDV that really gets my juices flowing..

TS
Tree Stashes

Tree Stashes

Masterfit Bootfitter
Thanks for the very detailed explanations in your reviews of a ton of skis! Funny how the two above members posted first(@ski otter 2 and @anders_nor), as I thought of them when reading your great reviews because it sounds like all 4 of us enjoy similar skis!

I’m the same size as @Tree Stashes so it was interesting reading the reviews on skis I liked and didn’t like or even own. LOVING the Kendo 88 in 184cm with it mounted at the plus 2cm position but it came with a horrible edge high tune and 1.5 degree base bevels so lots of work to get it to where it should be. Now super fun at any speeds like a mini Mantra 102. Better grip than an Enforcer 88(which I always thought needs less taper) and more comfortable at high speeds than a Brahma. Super fun ski.

The Enforcer 94, new Brahma 88 and Bonafide and Dynastar MFree 108 will all be skis worth your demo as I bet you’d like them too. Try the Rustler 11 188cm or 192cm at plus 1cm or 2cm mounts as it makes them far more fun at our size!

Interesting and astute point re the base bevel and mount points. Fischer at the Snowbasin demo was the only brand I've seen that actually posted the base / edge tune right on the ski. Really pro move, even if basically all their skis were at 1 / 1, and I normally like my edges at 2 degrees.

Since performing these reviews (mostly February 2019), I've gotten in the habit of knocking demo bindings ahead or back a couple of clicks. True to my "directional" style, I generally do like a lot of freeride skis back 1 cm, and like a lot of folks on here, I like the Laser AX +1. I did not try that change on the Kendo 88, so certainly something worth pondering.

I'd be happy to try the new skis you mentioned, but I hated the Bonafide I tried in 2018. Too planky, no snow feel. I saw Blizzard reps taking Bonafides out between demo laps and they said it was "like eating bread between rounds of wine tasting." I don't know about you guys, but I don't go to wine tasting for the bread ;)

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have not skied the atomic 97 ti, but judging by blister reviews its like a less chargy, lighter, more punishing mantra 102? other has to chime in here. I would say get on that mantra some more, and bump the mount to +1 or +2 , and learn it some more, it takes some getting used to and establishing a trust relationship. You can "stand up" doing 60mph to scrub speed, its just stable and not punishing at all on the frontside (even when its just piles of snow with ice)! and its like a freight train through stuff, like.. your not feeling like skiiing bumps? it will just go through them where say 102Fr goes over.

I do wish there was something inbetween the mantra 102 and deacon 84, though, also for radius

MDV has a pretty nice lineup for 2021, with new duke PT 12/16, slight redesign heal for jester/griffon on a allready solid product, and Mantra 102, revolt 104, revolt 121, deacon 84, blaze 94/106 + their racetigers of course. my GF is giving me a 5-6 pairs max limit for when we go to the mountains for the holiday, and Im probably going to bring 3 or 4 out of 6 beeing MDV, I have a lot of skis, so this imho actually says something. But if I can only bring 1 .. the 102FR will be the 1 that goes to go.

Never really been on stocklis much other than rentals when in the alps their pricing/offers seems so outragous a lot, a lot has to do with retailers and currency, but still...

Ref numbers and waste width... I had an "ohhh" moment the other day, I ride 102FR a lot, and have multiple lengths, I discoverd the 191cm 102Fr had what, a 1,5mm waist width diff to m-free 108 192cm, and you could put them back to back and they would look surprisingly similar in height/width.

The E88 kinda felt like a better ski than 93 for me, but it just couldnt' handle my weight, I couldnt drive shovels, I couldnt ski it centerd (it seems to prefer this) it does have tons of grip though, I will give it that, super aggresive factory tune. Over rollers on carve centerd it would like getting rearward on a short slalom ski and totally give out, really not nice.

TS
Tree Stashes

Tree Stashes

Masterfit Bootfitter
I have not skied the atomic 97 ti, but judging by blister reviews its like a less chargy, lighter, more punishing mantra 102? other has to chime in here.

For clarity, when I say "Mantra" I mean the "Mantra M5", which comps well to the Vantage 97 Ti: 96 mm waist, flat tail, "frame" construction. I give the Vantage the "edge" over the Mantra M5 for power, precision, and yes, edge hold. They both suck in bumps.

The Mantra 102 is a totally different category of ski, and again: it's one of the only Volkl skis that I really like.

TS
Tree Stashes

Tree Stashes

Masterfit Bootfitter

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Barf, no thank you. Shift for mortals, CAST for gods.

I haven't skied these, but I've heard they are great!

I know waist widths are more marketing than measurement, but that's quite a jump from a 102mm label!
wanna comment on the no love for PT? I find it to be superbeefy. I do own.. all 3 :p but have yet to ski it, plan to do my first tour on them next week

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow, what a great post. Thank you very much for it.

You hit on a comparison I've been hungry for: Fischer 102 FR vs 99 ti. You basically confirmed that two skis I've been most intrigued with -- the 99ti and Stormrider 95 -- could work very well for me.

Two skis I wish were on your list? Kastle MX99 and Salomon Stance 96.

TS
Tree Stashes

Tree Stashes

Masterfit Bootfitter
wanna comment on the no love for PT? I find it to be superbeefy. I do own.. all 3 :p but have yet to ski it, plan to do my first tour on them next week

1. General bias against Marker products. Don't like the kerflomp step-in, lots of plastic, expensive, overrated, marketing first. Poor commitment to the product or customer. $0.02. May not apply in this case. Disclaimer Disclaimer Caveat.
  2. The Shift beats the PT 16 by 200 grams per ski, a pound in total.
  3. The Shift does not have any removable pieces that could get lost in my pack or tumbling down the mountain.
  4. The Shift is priced $100-$150 less vs the PT 16. Don't pay for something you don't need.
  5. CAST weighs the same as the PT but gets you in the world cup Pivot (DIN 18). I trust Look.
  6. CAST toe piece is dead simple and invulnerable to icing
  7. CAST offers two heel riser heights
  8. CAST / Pivot gives you a nice flat ramp out of the box
  9. Both Shift and CAST have years in the market and thousands of users. Marker's last attempt a radically innovative binding (Kingpin) was riddled with defects. Also, the Kingpin was stupid.
I'm a mere mortal: I ski at most a DIN 10, so the Shift works just fine for me. I've never skied a CAST so my argument there comes with a meaningful grain of salt.

I'll carve out the only market niche that warrants a Duke PT 16: you need a DIN >13, but you insist on wearing an ISO 9533 touring boot. The Shift only goes to 13, the CAST / Pivot is not MNC.

Sponsor

Staff online