• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review 40 models of 2019/20 skis reviewed

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
valid points, I will add that I've been 3) with shifts, meaning tumbeling :p it doesnt seem to like 6'3 and 230 ish lbs, but after I figured it out a bit upping rear din, more forward pressure and always checking the toe life has been fairly good, I did sell 1 out of 2 shift skis. (for a profit?!) and local stores are sold out of shifts.. for entire season they said :eek:

you do get a PT 12, where the heal is a squire, for 16 its a metal jester, with toe removed ,the 12' is lighter? ish than a shift.

I tend to buy bindings during summer, when they seem to sell the marker stuff at 50%, heck even attack 13's were what, 60 euros? recently!

very few has been on stance it seems, but thoose I talked to loved 96/102 here locally during demo last year

I see you clearified the m5/97 ti thing, that makes more sense indeed, the m5 is a good ski for a lot of people, but never wow for me.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I ski a pair of Ranger 115 in 188 cm, but in the earlier XTi version. Same shape, but supposedly more metal. I'm 6'6", 225 lb. I'll admit the number of legit days at Killington that I needed them were on one hand, but hey I really like those Rangers. I would consider a pair of 102 FR or 99 Ti if I really wanted to fill out the quiver with 69, 88, ~100, and 115 under foot. Any additional thoughts on those two?

My new 88 is the Legend X88 and I loved the Legend X96 I demoed, but I have a few pounds on you.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I've posted before that what I love about how Fischer does rocker is that they don't soften the flex through the tips and tails when they already have a significant amount of splay. I hate having rockered tips bouncing all over the place on my way back to the lift for my next powder lap. The Fischer 115 FR has got serious balls in its flex pattern, but packed into a very playful shape. It's everything I wanted and I was coming from the DPS Wailer 112RP. The Fischer 115 FR kept the quickness that I really valued from the 112RP, but got rid of the twitchiness that the DPS could have when charging.

I liked the 115 FR so much that I decided to pick up the Pro MT 95 Ti because it has a similar rocker line in the tips with that excellent marriage of the progressive sidecut and the rise line. They totally overlap with my SR95s, but this is what happens when Covid has you confined for too long... ;)

TS
Tree Stashes

Tree Stashes

Seeker of Shady Fluff Pockets
Masterfit Bootfitter
I would consider a pair of 102 FR or 99 Ti if I really wanted to fill out the quiver with 69, 88, ~100, and 115 under foot. Any additional thoughts on those two?

They are both SO great but they are SO different.

The 99Ti is much more directional and charge-y. Pretty flat. I was outmatched by the 99Ti in a 188, but the 180 (181?) was really satisfying. Here are some adjectives that pop into my head: solid, powerful, damp. Favors a more athletic and skilled skier. Pick the 99Ti if you want to go fast.

The 102Fr is much more well-mannered: easier to swing around, fun, but still smooth and a wonderful carver. It won't bite into ice quite as sharply, but I think it's a much more well-rounded ski. Since your quiver is stacked for piste equipment, I think you've got a good opening for this extremely versatile ski.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For clarity, when I say "Mantra" I mean the "Mantra M5", which comps well to the Vantage 97 Ti: 96 mm waist, flat tail, "frame" construction. I give the Vantage the "edge" over the Mantra M5 for power, precision, and yes, edge hold. They both suck in bumps.

The Mantra 102 is a totally different category of ski, and again: it's one of the only Völkl skis that I really like.
The M5, to me, is a fat GS ski, similar pros and cons. As such, it's not especially versatile. I don't like its dampness feel in major crud (a bit like a GS ski, in this). I love it carving on piste. But I'd take the right Deacon (or Volkl FIS GS 188/30, etc.) over it, for that. So the M5 doesn't get out of the barn too often.

I can really see the appeal/preference for the Mantra 102, which is more of a rock solid charger, to me - an easy-going charger at that. And since it handles crud so well, it's much more versatile and safisfying, seems like.

To me, the problem with the Vantage Atomics is they are not as damp when not on edge flexing. They are sort of a finesse ski, in that way. And in a related way, they suck in bumps. I'd love them more IF they were damper. (I love to work the flex of such Atomics tip to tail, really fun.)

Last edited:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I demoed the 102 FR twice. Didn't like it's dampness, but I could have lived with that since everything else about it was great enough, and compensated for the light weight dampness feel that wasn't. There are enough folks who love the 102 FR and find it damp, seems like.

I have a sort of hole in what I've demoed with the Fischers, however, and haven't been on many of their other skis, besides near race skis (Curvs), which I've liked.
(@Tree Stashes, is there a similar sort of hole in your demoing, or do you find you just don't much like K2 recent skis much?)

As far as Fischers go, I own the Multiflex Fischer RC One GT 86/182. It's a favorite, skied it just today in 3" of fresh powder/crud, where it excels. Two days ago I was in about the same conditions (similar 2-3" powder/crud) and skied a 180 Bonafide (not the newest model). That was good too, but not compared to the RC One on such a day, at least the way I had the Bonafide set up.

In the fatter skis, the Volkls that rock my boat are the V-Werks skis, especially the 112 Katana 19x (but also the V Werks Mantra, in some of its versions; and the V-W Code is pretty swell too). That longest 112 V-W ski is my powder ski, for the most part, at this point. It can't compare to the 193mm pull K2 Pettitor 120, but then I have a questionable knee now, and the weight of the Pettitors after a few hours gets to that knee.

I really like also the various Moment Bibby Pros, but they lack float, something I notice at times.

The Rustler 11 I liked best the longest, the 192. Wonderful and solid. I could almost get that ski. But it is still noticeably less damp, etc. than the longest Katana, for me, and the Black Ops Rossi 118, and the Pettitors. And the Bibbys.

If I could combine the best qualities of the longest Proto 115 Dynastar Free (playful carving/flexing & tracking, etc.) and of the longest '21 Kore 117 (which to me skis a bit differently than the previous versions, mostly because of different rocker rise and mount point), there I'd have my current powder ski. (With the Kore, it's partly the float, neat dampness feel, newly playful but solid movement in powder, and partly the Kore carve/rebound response, that I'd like to combine with the 115 Free.)

There are so many good skis, all different. And so many different points of view and experiences with them. Lucky.

TS
Tree Stashes

Tree Stashes

Masterfit Bootfitter
The M5, to me, is a fat GS ski, similar pros and cons. As such, it's not especially versatile.
They are sort of a finesse ski, in that way. And in a related way, they suck in bumps. I'd love them more IF they were damper.

Yes, my thoughts exactly. The Vantage gets my nod because it rewards finesse skiing. The M5 is a great ski if you want to chug beers and go fast without thinking too hard.

I can really see the appeal/preference for the Mantra 102, which is more of a rock solid charger, to me - an easy-going charger at that. And since it handles crud so well, it's much more versatile and safisfying, seems like.
light weight dampness

The Mantra 102 is a really cool ski, and yes, damper than the Fischer 102 FR. I'm pretty light for my height, but I agree that the 102 FR is a more lively ski. Obviously, Fischer took the old Ranger 98 Ti and broke out into the Ranger 99 Ti (very damp) and the Ranger 102 FR...and TBH, I think they split the difference a tad bit too wide. Or, put another way: there are skiers who like stability but aren't Mike Hattrup, who could have enjoyed a ski somewhere in between these two. Or, another way still: Fischer made two different skis that are more specialized and compelling in their own right.

do you find you just don't much like K2 recent skis much?

I haven't skied _any_ K2 skis. I know the Mindbenders have made some strong impressions. Maybe this year.

Fischer RC One GT 86/182

Also a great ski.

Volkls that rock my boat are the V-Werks skis, especially the 112 Katana 19x

I have not stepped into any V-Werks. I'm normally allergic to carbon - but since you seem like damp skis, I'd be curious to give them a shot.

Moment Bibby Pros

Also great. Trying out a pair of Wildcat Tours this winter, will let you know how I like those. I've skied the kitty in a 190 and loved it.

Rustler 11 I liked best the longest, the 192

The 192, per Charlie Hepburn, is a distinct ski from the rest of the lineup, built for FWT comps. Again, noticing that you like damper skis, makes sense that you would go for this one. For a powder ski, I'll trade a little bit of dampness for a little bit of maneuverability, especially when skiing the tree stashes.

Indeed!

That’s what more than one person at California Ski Company in Berkeley told me!

And one more CalSki folk to the stack! That's my ski industry alma mater.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Appreciate your take on the salomon qst 92. Bought a pair of 185s after demo last spring and just got on them today. Fully agree with your description. Easy and fun. But not gutless. Great bump ski very smooth and slithery.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Interesting and astute point re the base bevel and mount points. Fischer at the Snowbasin demo was the only brand I've seen that actually posted the base / edge tune right on the ski. Really pro move, even if basically all their skis were at 1 / 1, and I normally like my edges at 2 degrees.

Since performing these reviews (mostly February 2019), I've gotten in the habit of knocking demo bindings ahead or back a couple of clicks. True to my "directional" style, I generally do like a lot of freeride skis back 1 cm, and like a lot of folks on here, I like the Laser AX +1. I did not try that change on the Kendo 88, so certainly something worth pondering.

I'd be happy to try the new skis you mentioned, but I hated the Bonafide I tried in 2018. Too planky, no snow feel. I saw Blizzard reps taking Bonafides out between demo laps and they said it was "like eating bread between rounds of wine tasting." I don't know about you guys, but I don't go to wine tasting for the bread ;)

That’s interesting about Fisher reps redoing the edges at 1/1 as the factory does finish most models at 1/2. My Ranger 102 FR were very edge high on the bases and had very uneven edge bevels and that seems common when many reviewers and new buyers are mentioning “detuning the edges” on that ski.

2021 Bonafide 97 and Brahma 88 added some weight, made the tips/tails more compliant and now have a “less carbon feel” more like the original versions. Flex and weight of the new Bonafides and Brahma 88s are awesome but wish they had longer turning radius for high speed hauling which would make them perfect!

I take that the Blizzard rep taking out the Bonafide out between other skis as a good thing. More like having bread and then having your “reference favorite wine” before trying another wine.
In my example, you are getting to drink MORE WINE so that’s always a good thing! Lol

TS
Tree Stashes

Tree Stashes

Masterfit Bootfitter
Great bump ski very smooth and slithery

Love that description! It's funny, I rarely think about evaluating skis as fun in bumps, but that's a pretty common use case after dry spells. Thanks!

robwbright

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Nice work. Confirms that the Enforcer 104 and Kore 105 are both still skis I'm interested in. But you said they're both so good that it didn't really help me get rid of one of them! lol

Sponsor

Staff online