• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

-4F no big deal (as long as no wind)

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
-12°F was one of my best days of the season.

Same, but I did get a bit of frostbite on my cheeks where the balaclava does not reach for the first time in my life.

One of the joys of aging, perhaps. Currently in the process of evaluating a few different "mini-masks" that fit in my pocket and go on without having to remove said balaclava.

I usually am walking around outside in single digit temps, in shorts to build up my cold tolerance and brown fat for the season. It works!

You do know that you can build that fat indoors, by simply eating hamburgers, drinking dark beer, and doing less cardio during the winter, right? Ask me how I know.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I used to embrace the cold.

Wore t-shirts in November and December to get used to it. Nowadays I still get out but I layer up. I wear a heavy "town" coat around town.

Skied a few days right at and just below 0 season before last and it was a bit tough, though with lots of layers and chemical hand and toe warmers I managed. After that I bought a pair of pricey Hestra pirmaloft mitten liners with goretex outer mitts. I am, I'm afraid, enjoying the milder winter we've been having in our neck of the woods. Back up to high 40's yesterday - we went for a nice hike. I haven't shoveled snow yet this winter. I do miss xc though.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wind makes every situation 10x colder. I’m with @jt10000: temperature - no problem. Wind - cold at any temperature.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As others have said, no wind, no problem. Heated socks help ogsmile

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Put an extra baklava
Yum!

9454-Greek-Baklava-mfs-197-d45ac334a0ec4e84883b09b6fc60312d.jpg

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Same, but I did get a bit of frostbite on my cheeks where the balaclava does not reach for the first time in my life.
I had two face masks on. My balaclava (works so much better for this purpose than baklava), and a half mask that wraps around the lower half of my face and has some neoprene in it. It covers my nose but directs air downwards.

ThomasD

Getting off the lift
Skier
I don't mind skiing in negative weather, but for my kids, it's about risk management. The risk to reward is so low at those temp that I don't mind skipping a day or two.
Agreed. We were on a family trip at Lake Louise one year, in temps well below zero. Everything was going great until mid afternoon when we found ourselves in the back bowls and my older son suddenly became hypothermic. And I do mean suddenly, even he didn't quite understand it as he went from fine to uncontrollable shivering in a single run. The worst part is he was already a decent sized teenager and picking him up and skiing him out was not an option. Thankfully we were able to shepherd him down to the Temple Lodge and get him warmed back up.

My theory is it was a combination of a heavy lunch, going from skiing in sunshine to skiing in shade, and that we had slowed down enough after lunch to not be generating as much heat.

I find low temperatures are much more tolerable when they are sustained, as that drives the humidity out and all your insulation works so much better. The worst conditions are when it goes from 35+ to sub zero overnight. Those are days even I don't ski.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
My fingers have become a barrier for me skiing in the brutal cold, even with mittens, liners and hand grabbers it just gets to a point where it's unbearable. If on a trip or staying at a resort area I will go but driving anywhere to ski or even the home mountain, no way. I'm also one who skis deep into the spring where I have the different problem of sweaty soaked hands, so I have no problem skipping if it's "Northeastern Stupid Cold".

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Agreed. We were on a family trip at Lake Louise one year, in temps well below zero. Everything was going great until mid afternoon when we found ourselves in the back bowls and my older son suddenly became hypothermic. And I do mean suddenly, even he didn't quite understand it as he went from fine to uncontrollable shivering in a single run. The worst part is he was already a decent sized teenager and picking him up and skiing him out was not an option. Thankfully we were able to shepherd him down to the Temple Lodge and get him warmed back up.

My theory is it was a combination of a heavy lunch, going from skiing in sunshine to skiing in shade, and that we had slowed down enough after lunch to not be generating as much heat.

I find low temperatures are much more tolerable when they are sustained, as that drives the humidity out and all your insulation works so much better. The worst conditions are when it goes from 35+ to sub zero overnight. Those are days even I don't ski.
Yikes! Did you ever figure out what happened?

ThomasD

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yikes! Did you ever figure out what happened?
Nothing much more really. We got him warmed back up at the lodge, then skied around to the frontside and since the day was about over headed back to the hotel. Next day he was fine, but temps were not quite as extreme either and we were at Sunshine so shade was not as easy to find. I just took it as an indication that when the temperatures get that low the warning track can be much shorter.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)

One of the joys of aging, perhaps. Currently in the process of evaluating a few different "mini-masks" that fit in my pocket and go on without having to remove said balaclava.

You do know that you can build that fat indoors, by simply eating hamburgers, drinking dark beer, and doing less cardio during the winter, right? Ask me how I know.
Was skiing last Friday when the temperature was -33.5 C, -28.3 F without wind chill (they had to slow down the lift) and we got together at the bottom of the lift for sweep, when the hill staff and another patroller pointed out a "real shiny dime-sized patch of frostbite" on the end of my nose, so they did sweep without me. Turns out it was only ice from my breath freezing on my nose, but my nose is my weak spot. If I try and cover it up with a balaclava, my breath fogs my glasses. I can tuck my chin into my collar and the rest of my face is covered by huge Smith OTG glasses, but I haven't figured out what to do with my nose.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
My fingers have become a barrier for me skiing in the brutal cold, even with mittens, liners and hand grabbers it just gets to a point where it's unbearable. If on a trip or staying at a resort area I will go but driving anywhere to ski or even the home mountain, no way. I'm also one who skis deep into the spring where I have the different problem of sweaty soaked hands, so I have no problem skipping if it's "Northeastern Stupid Cold".
My diabetic fingers are the same. My solution is Karbon leather electric gloves (as long as the batteries last), or Outdoor Research Alti mittens. I'm sure the OR heated Prevail mittens would work too.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
but I haven't figured out what to do with my nose.

This might be the ticket. The "snag" for me is the ear loops, but it's a pretty inexpensive roll of the dice, and made by some guy in his home, so I've got one to try in the next cold snap.

Patented nose pocket!

tx river rat

Booting up
Skier
Our crew - three kids age seven to ten, and three adults - went out Saturday with temps -4 when we started. I was worried, esp about the kids, but we nailed it on clothes, chemical heaters. Near zero complaints. Still air and sun were big factors.

At the end of the day when we were tired (and it was 7F or 8F) we did get cold a bit.
I've found myself overdressed in 10 degree weather if the sun's out. Ski boots are soooo much warmer now than when I started skiing.

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
Was skiing last Friday when the temperature was -33.5 C, -28.3 F without wind chill (they had to slow down the lift) and we got together at the bottom of the lift for sweep, when the hill staff and another patroller pointed out a "real shiny dime-sized patch of frostbite" on the end of my nose, so they did sweep without me. Turns out it was only ice from my breath freezing on my nose, but my nose is my weak spot. If I try and cover it up with a balaclava, my breath fogs my glasses. I can tuck my chin into my collar and the rest of my face is covered by huge Smith OTG glasses, but I haven't figured out what to do with my nose.
I have seen goggles with a nose cover clip on them. Have never seen this in a shop anywhere but it’s a google accessory available somewhere

Sponsor

Staff online