• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

50/50 ski/binding setup question

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
I would not adjust your shift binding, unless you really know what you are doing. The factory spec is the gold standard and I would add a note of caution adjusting the AFD. Treat your Shift binding with care - the bindings are not as beefy as a alpine binding (e.g., Warden 13 or equivalent). Avoid using the binding to kick the snow off of your boots - treat the binding like a finely tuned sported car.

More unsolicited advice - if you use the bindings for touring, make sure that the toe lever is pulled to a vertical position or you will walk out of the bindings. Amerisports will replace the plastic toe cover with dimples that will hold the level in place.

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
maaaan, struggeld with shifts today, they insisted on the toe dropping routine for the left ski, lent them to a buddy, "are they supposed to go click click" we at least got.. 1 lap before it happend, forgot the screw driver, found found someone who had one, woop. Was probablytoo close to threshold after adjustment, so my faul for not "strokeing it with the hairs" I guess... My friend was very good at testing them though, he did 2 single ejects and 1 full yardsale through the day, we didnt so much over terrain him, as he just never skied pow before, and it was getting tracked out. Dude was soooooooo happy though, and 0 injuries :)

I was rideing duke PT 16, as was a friend, 0 issues, even stepping in, in way way to much snow, just for testing, still locked. but shit is heavy. on good side, toe didnt self adjust.... ;)

I'm curious to get someone's opinion on the Duke PT there are very few real reviews on it. From what I've found online it seems the Duke PT 12 uphill mode and Shift 10 weights are pretty comparable?

How are the Duke PTs skinning and skiing?

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm curious to get someone's opinion on the Duke PT there are very few real reviews on it. From what I've found online it seems the Duke PT 12 uphill mode and Shift 10 weights are pretty comparable?

How are the Duke PTs skinning and skiing?
It skies like a even heavier jester, kinda the weight of a pivot metal, its basicly a jester, heck I even swapped to a 18 pro housing just to prove it. (its a jester 16)

For skinning the toe reminds you of a kingpin, but will have to get back to you on that with more testing. you dont have the levels of risers though, so meh on that, since Im better at the down, than up I kinda like higher risers.

But so for its *bomb proof* I have 0 concerns doing anything with the binding, you can ride it like your every day resort binding. only weak point would probably be the opening lever for the CLAW if someone drives over your skis. but.. its a jester 16, its bomb proof so far. (I have it on binding freedom to move around its $$$$$$)

Do save weight on a duke PT 16, you can swap in a griffon heel piece, I published all data and weights on the different ones and possible combos. guessing a duke PT 13 will come along at some time.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
gotto give props to shift I guess, did close to 20.000 feet today, 0 issues for both of us (on shift)

BC 120 + shift + xtd 130 = light and fun. had a bad knee day, and needed something lighter.

skibuddy tested the release of his... 12 times, and they really should have released all thoose times ;) (his first time testing wide skis, and pow)

TS
S

switters

Booting up
Skier
I'm doing the AIARE level one class this weekend. Yesterday, we were touring in the area between Park City and Canyons. Snow was pretty deep and we were changing back and forth between ski and walk mode often. The brake on one of my skis kept releasing, switching from walk to ski mode. There was a lot of snow getting in the binding and icing up, which I assume was causing the problem. Seems like I've read about this before and it was mentioned in the article that @Slim posted above. Any tips for dealing with this?

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
some put rubberbands on the brakes when they skin... this is one of the issues, it happens if they touch each other while skinning, so brake width is a thing. but.. also at random sometimes.

I guess snow in there doesnt help.

WAs it still a good time though?

TS
S

switters

Booting up
Skier
some put rubberbands on the brakes when they skin... this is one of the issues, it happens if they touch each other while skinning, so brake width is a thing. but.. also at random sometimes.

I guess snow in there doesnt help.

WAs it still a good time though?

It was a great class. We did a full tour on our second field day, and I didn't have any issues with the brakes (as I did on the first field day). During the first field day we did a lot of simulated rescue, and I was transitioning a ton in deep, soft snow. I think that's why I had so many problems with icing. I did buy a couple of Voile straps and found some thick rubber bands to use on the brakes if this happens again—someone else also suggested that trick. Thanks!

Sponsor

Staff online