• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

50L pack recommendations

clewis

Booting up
Skier
Any recommendations for roughly a 50L + pack. This will be used for mostly hut trips and short summer trips. I currently have an old Gregory pack 70L+, but its expedition sized. I used it in the past for hut trips but it's obviously a little over kill.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Are you talking about ski into a hut, and do day outings from there? Or hut to hut tours?

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you are wanting to use it for backpacking in summer, and if you need to ski with it, a lightweight pack seems the way to go. A 50l pack is going to be very heavy to ski with anyway, so at least I’d want to minimize the weight of the empty pack.
I wouldn’t want to go much above 1.2 kg.

Local for you?

The first brand that comes to mind is Seek Outside.
Their flight pack is on the bigger end of 50l, but it is light and fits close to the back.

Last edited:

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
FWIW I use a older version of this North Face pack The Phantom 50L -
https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/outlet/phantom-50-antarctica-backpack-nf0a3s6o-c1?variationId=8WN Can't beat $99
I have used this pack for a 2 night spring ski / camp trip and for longer day tours. I am an average sized female so my gear is smaller but was able to fit everything needed into the S/M size. North Face has a few other packs that might work for you. This fits me well and skis very balanced.
Can be stripped down for day use, making it even lighter.

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Any recommendations for roughly a 50L + pack. This will be used for mostly hut trips and short summer trips. I currently have an old Gregory pack 70L+, but its expedition sized. I used it in the past for hut trips but it's obviously a little over kill.

I would just use the pack you have a smaller pack for day trips from the hut. It is much better to cinch down a larger pack than to overfill a smaller pack. A 30L is plenty for day trips.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
What kind of budget are you looking at?

You can spend top money for an Osprey pack that isn't comfortable, or maybe get a cheaper pack that can be comfortable. It's not saying all Ospreys are uncomfortable, it depends on the pack model.

Like boots, aside from price, if it's not comfortable, it's not really worth the pricetag, even if the pack is plated with gold

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well @clewis this is where you are going to have to make a choice on your back pack: Either free-ball it with a pack like the North Face or other suggestions by @Slim or suck it up and add the weight of having a metal frame that you can continually hit your head on when you lean back like the Osprey.
Personally, I'd rather be free and light, I understand some like the constraints/support of a metal frame, its just not me.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Well @clewis this is where you are going to have to make a choice on your back pack: Either free-ball it with a pack like the North Face or other suggestions by @Slim or suck it up and add the weight of having a metal frame that you can continually hit your head on when you lean back like the Osprey.
Personally, I'd rather be free and light, I understand some like the constraints/support of a metal frame, its just not me.

Yeah. The metal frame is great for long hikes on mellow grade trails. As soon as things get steep the metal frame really sucks and gets in the way. It is still preferable for heavy loads but still.

TS
clewis

clewis

Booting up
Skier
What kind of budget are you looking at?

You can spend top money for an Osprey pack that isn't comfortable, or maybe get a cheaper pack that can be comfortable. It's not saying all Ospreys are uncomfortable, it depends on the pack model.

Like boots, aside from price, if it's not comfortable, it's not really worth the pricetag, even if the pack is plated with gold

Budget is 200.00-300.00. I hold onto gear for a long time. So I'm fine paying for a good piece of gear if it serves it's purpose. The pack I'm trying to replace is about 20 yrs old.

@Ken_R and @In2h2o most likely looking for a pack without the metal frame.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@clewis ,

When you said 'hut trips" did you mean:
  1. skiing from hut to hut? If so, in North America (bring all your own food, and a sleeping bag)?
  2. skiing from hut to hut in the Alps (bringing only snacks and sleeping bag liner)
  3. skiing into a hut and doing day trips from there? (Carrying a heavier food and sleeping bag)

For:
  1. 45-55 liters, something that carries significant weight well, but is still compact and flexible enough to ski well, and work super hard on reducing the weight of your gear.
  2. 30-40 liters, something that is compact and flexible enough to ski well, and work super hard on reducing the weight of your gear.
  3. 45-60 liters, Only focused on carry capacity of pack. (assuming you are bringing a smaller day skiing pack)

I would definitely want some kind of alloy or carbon frame stay to carry the amounts of weight in 1 or 3. That said, there is a wide range of suspension systems, as far as the amount of weight they carry, and how much freedom of movement the pack has. But frameless really stops being efficient around 20 lbs or so.

Last edited: