• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So, will you be going to Alta now?
Spring is an excellent time to make real progress. Wet corn has tons of feedback to the skier.
Plus, Alta is probably weeks from corn? It's got to be colder there.

We have free days at both Alta/Bird, Sollitude and Brighton from out DV season pass. I am not inclined to go though as I am ready for golf and to really delve into some fishing. I have a lot of local water to learn and Fly Fishing is and has been a huge passion for me. I am excited about golf for the first time since 1998 as well.... But... Betsy indicated she wants to ski at some of the other places this spring so I might get dragged there. I was planning on today being my last day of the season, but now I am doing a promo thing tomorrow so I will likely ski for the 75 minute window of perfect conditions. Sunday conditions do look enticing as well :huh:

James

Out There
Instructor
Does one need to always play 18 holes?
Don't know much about golf.
Conceivably, one could golf, ski, and fish in one day?

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Does one need to always play 18 holes?
Don't know much about golf.
Conceivably, one could golf, ski, and fish in one day?

I skied and hit balls one day last week, skiing and fishing is very easy. Our course only opens the front 9 on April 19th, the par 3 course opens on April 12th.

I caught a bunch of these yesterday
7913DCF5-3E44-4696-AF6D-752E3047DE7C.jpeg
B35C05F6-7843-42D2-A890-4FB38F026A55.jpeg

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the slush at DV may be different than what some assume...

No, DV have the same slush as all the other resorts. Nothing a warm temp HF wax won't fix.

So, will you be going to Alta now?
Spring is an excellent time to make real progress. Wet corn has tons of feedback to the skier.
Plus, Alta is probably weeks from corn? It's got to be colder there.

Don't know about Alta. Mamie won't ski there.
The bird had some slush today. At lower elevations.
Decent snow higher up on the north facing slopes.
Really nasty crud on the higher south facing slopes.

Just need a bi of skill to enjoy it all.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Why does DV close so early?
I heard it has to do with a few things, including animal migration, the lower elevation and how the snow falls apart so quickly, but those are just rumors. I'll see Bill Rock today and I'll ask him why PC closes early too.

Pretty close -- champagne powder is probably a bit easier. My order of fun:

• Deep untracked pow
  • Corn
  • Slush.
Mike
What about...
  • fresh corduroy
  • refrozen groomers
  • (and my personal favorite)refrozen coral reef

a & b.
d) No foot rest.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Missed you this AM.

View attachment 70466
We did make a quick stop a the The Stein Ericksen Lodge with some pretty cool people Alan Shoenberger, @Tricia @Bob Salernon Dave Ingemie and @Justin Koski. Other that we we were skiing with not in the picture, Susie Chaffee, Tom Kelly and Richard Allen.
@Started at 53 It would have been great to bump into you. We were skiing with a group from the Ski Hall of Fame. These skiing rock stars from the 70s, in their 70s are a hoot to ski with.
It amazes me how well Suzy Chaffee skis with those Scott boots and Hart Ballet skis.
And Alan Schoenberger, Wow!!
Bob Salerno didn't surprise me, I figured he'd be back strong after a double hip replacement last year.

IMG_0069.JPG

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The season has come to a close for me (although I am getting pressure to ski closing day tomorrow) and it was a great year.

I started the season not able to make parallel turns, but got that taken care of in late December.

I was restricted to green runs early, but ended up the season on virtually all blue runs. The previously steep sections of the green runs were laughable at the end of the season when I think back how I had to make turns to limit my speed on the steep green pitches.

At the start of the season my quads would tire quickly due to backseat and defensive skiing and I would have to stop on long runs to rest. The last 2/3’s of the season I just enjoyed ripping runs from top to bottom and this allowed me to get in a lot more runs per day which equates to more fun.

I skied in a lot of varied conditions, and have no problem with crud which scared me senseless until January 6th when we skied in a 13” DUMP that really was a big learning day and allowed me to get over the hurdle of crud.

March saw my first left footed tail following the tips turns with any consistency, so that was possibly my most gratifying accomplishment of the year. I am still not able to do this every turn, but in conditions that allow it is getting pretty easy. I am still sliding my tails in icy conditions, so that will be a goal for next year to learn to carve in firmer snow. God knows I am heavy enough :doh:

One thing I know, I hate slushy slow snow. I am sure it is somewhat due to my feeling forward on my skis and the feeling of brakes when the skis hit slow snow. I will have to get over that in the future. I am not a person who likes the unknown in any aspect of my life, so inconsistent snow bothers me. As soon as I get that I tend to get defensive, which is counterintuitive to progressing in varied conditions

I did get my first (and hopefully ONLY sled ride on January 10th) which was the result of a very bad crash the led to an ER visit, crutches and braces. The crash was my fault, I was avoiding a slower skier on a steep for me blue run and got in the backseat. I learned from it for sure. It was far from my only fall, and I had some real beauties! I look back and they were all part of the learning curve, and yes I have a TON more to learn.

Kind of sadly, I did not get any late season videos as we were having too much fun to stop and do videos, it was just a constant top to bottom and repeat.

2018-2019 was a transformational year for me. I still have loads to learn, but isn’t that the fun?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I would never use the term laughable to describe one's difficulty on green terrain. One of my mountains has green terrain that's pretty steep and while it's easier for me now I still look back at how easy it is now but always with a sense of pride and accomplishment. That's awesome you've come so far. May the progression and happy feelings occur for years to come.

Sponsor

Staff online