• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

59 million skiers visited US resorts in the 2020-21 winter season

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Interesting. I clicked through to get the stats:

US skier visits (A visit is considered the use of a lift ticket for any part of the day.)
• 2020-21: 59 million
• 2019-20: 51.1 million* (shortened season)
• 2018-19: 59 million
• 2017-18: 53.3 million
• 2016-17: 54.7 million

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
it makes sense to me. I mean many folks not working or working from home and with the time and money to ski more than usual. Plus the same would hold true for the tons of non avid skiers ending up with higher rates of participation for the same reasons. Then also many experimenters and first timers again for the same reasons.

What doesnt make sense is the price hikes that were to be understood to help make up some for last year. But with more skiers this year it now seems more of a price gouge than it does anything else.

But I suppose participation increases vs decreases may be a very regional thing. Overall participation up but likely not up in all areas. Especially last years (2020) decline where many areas were much harder hit via covid situation earlier on in the ski season vs other places. I mean certainly in the lower northeast NYC metro area the ski hills were likely hit hardest and earliest. That goes back to what i mention about trying to recoup some the losses from the 2019-2020 year via raised tix pricing this year. And even the start of this 2020-2021 season there were of course heavy restrictions and many things like limited tickets etc.

But I think what we saw was a huge increase in the off peak weekday participation's that may not have been expected but ended up (along with raised pricing) being quite profitable season.
But again this can be very different thing in different places. Id imagine destination resorts (due to travel restrictions) may not have seen the increase. yet on another note I can also imagine very many the wealthier folks flocked to thier ski homes and condos and stayed there and resulted in an increase. Im all over the place here cause its all crazy.

But I also wonder will the pricing for next season drop back again or does it stay so long as folks are paying it? or is that a stupid question.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
They probably made less money on food/bev and lessons/seasonal programs.

Reactions: Ogg

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I think it varies a lot by state. I think Vermont was down tis year becasue fo travel restrictions, but in NY every weekday was busy all season long. A typical Gore mountain weekday looks like a 50 year class reunion, but this year there were way more kids than old timers on weekdays. I'm sure NY skier visits were up, and the same for any area that's mostly locals.

dm

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
We hit a new season record. Huge jump. Here's hoping they go back to wherever they normally go next season. Was 348,000 in 16-17, 384,000+ in 18-19, then 450,000 this past season, 20-21. The infrastructure really is not keeping up.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
We hit a new season record. Huge jump. Here's hoping they go back to wherever they normally go next season. Was 348,000 in 16-17, 384,000+ in 18-19, then 450,000 this past season, 20-21. The infrastructure really is not keeping up.
Not sure if Big Sky had a record, but I believe yield was up as the mountain controlled properties were allotted lift tickets when the ticket window and online were "sold out" for those with other accomodations.

Infrastructure issues like critical lifts were an issue this season. The area takes a chunk of the resort tax to continue marketing the charms of Big Sky while public infrastructure like water and roads are being strained. The resort tax was recently bumped up by 25% to address water infrastructure and the marketing budget was kept intact. The decisions are made by unelected people with limited accountability because Big Sky is an unincorporated town straddling two counties.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
People want what they can't have. When we were told to stay home, we wanted to go out. Outdoor activities were some of the few things you could do. Skiing was one of the things you could do in winter. Summer Hiking and biking decimated some of the trails near us in NM.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
The infrastructure really is not keeping up.

I made the mistake of ordering a pizza for pickup at Jersey Boys on farmers market night last week. Holly freaking zoo!!! No parking, double parked and ran in to grab it. Worse than chair 7!

James

Out There
Instructor
I mean certainly in the lower northeast NYC metro area the ski hills were likely hit hardest and earliest.
The NBA shut down Wednesday night March 11. Vail announced shut down Saturday March 14. Sunday they were closed. Killington did the same.
What places closed earlier?
I don’t think there were US travel restrictions before that week.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
The NBA shut down Wednesday night March 11. Vail announced shut down Saturday March 14. Sunday they were closed. Killington did the same.
What places closed earlier?
I don’t think there were US travel restrictions before that week.
yes I suppose your correct that they may have all ended about the same time frame