• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

6 Great Rail Trails

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Hey, what's the story on that thing that parallels 1000 Islands parkway, east of Gananoque? Bring a time trial bike and a hole-free TT helmet, just to outrun the bugs?
Heh. Bugs aren't bad there, no bush. It's nice and paved, you could do that whole thing in a few hours. Beautiful area and views of the Thousand Islands, and Gananoque is a beautiful town.

If you really want something nice, try the Frontenac Arch..it's a bit figurative, it's a geological arch formation that goes from Algonquin Park to the St. Lawrence. It's a really beautiful area. I'd stay a night or two in Kingston, get yerself some Spearhead Beer and make a week of it.

skiJ

Getting off the lift
Skier
Elroy-Sparta State Trail (arcgis.com)

the link is a brief for the Elroy-Sparta trail in Wisconsin - now part of a network of trails from north of LaCrosse (wisconsin) to central southern Wisconsin --

I rode this original trail twice in my youth ( 1970s ) when it was a recently converted, rural ,,, opportunity -

these are great trails If you are up to riding crushed limestone.

( be aware : two sections of the trail are currently under Repair due to storm washouts )

Good luck. skiJ

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There are a bunch of rail trails 'round here. Westchester County NY, just outside of NYC. There was an article in the NY Times last year by a guy who strung a bunch of rail trails together with some roads, probably some of the aforementioned ECG (East Coast Greenway) and worked his way from the NYC to the Catskills - Think Hunter Mtn. I believe he camped along the way. Maybe a motel room or 2. This was during the height of the pandemic.

There is a South County Rail Trail, a North county Rail Trail. Not sure what's next. Then the Dutchess County Rail Trail which leads to the bridge over the Hudson. Which is was a railroad bridge. The first, I think, to span the Hudson. It was featured in The Boys In The Boat book as the turning point in the final match the book leads up to. Anyway that is really about the only real scenic spot I have seen along these 3 trails.

More fun to explore is the Old Croton Aqueduct trail which follows the path of water from Croton Reservoir to Manhattan and is a mix of dirt paths and local roads. We use our mountain bikes for it though I have seen gravel bikes and even roadies on it.

I would look for the article, but it would be paywalled , sorry.

Castle Dave

Getting off the lift
Skier
As a local who has used and enjoyed the Kettle Valley Railway trail I would agree much of it would not be recommended for a bicycle. As far as "illegal" ATVs are concerned for the record only certain small sections of the Kettle Valley Rail are closed to motorized vehicles. The vast majority of the miles and miles of rail line are legally open for anybody to use which is very Canadian.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
If we can get in.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
We'll be near the border 2 days before it opens and want to come across.
However it seems that we also need to have a test with 72 hours, is that true?

We have our vax cards, but wouldn't be able to find a test while we're camping.

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is there a State Park or other good place to camp with a small RV somewhere near the Northern Trail?
Not a clue. I’m sure there are private campgrounds around, but I don’t think there are any RV friendly state parks. But I could be wrong.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I found some of the roads a little harrowing in PEC. Choose carefully. Some are highly travelled some are not...

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I found some of the roads a little harrowing in PEC. Choose carefully. Some are highly travelled some are not...
I think @Jilly was referring to the Millenium trail, from the canal up to Macaulay Mountain.

If the GTA idiots would stay home and not invade "the County" the roads would be saver. Millennium trail is part of the Lakeshore trail from Oshawa through. The TCT is north, by Hwy 7. Both are old railway beds.