• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

7 year old progression help

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
^^^ This. This. This. This!

No poles yet. No No No.
No to steeper terrain. He'll go even wider in his stance because he's using it now to slow down.
No to trees no to bumps - until his stance is narrower, almost parallel between turns.

Work on controlling speed by completing turns on these groomers. Completing turns means going across the hill towards trees at the end of every single turn.
Once he "gets" that going across the trail will slow him down, work on getting those skis parallell between turns.

The only way to do that is to stand on the downhill ski between turns and move the uphill one to parallel. Work on that with him. Change instructors if you can't get this one to get him more parallel right now.
When he can get parallel between turns, then he's ready for new terrain. Let it be a reward.
I have to disagree here. In my opinion skiing should be more about having fun for beginner youngsters.
I agree on the no poles yet though.

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
No.

I think the last thing he needs is steeper terrain. I wouldn’t worry about his hands and I’d work on that stance. Get his feet closer so he can balance on one ski at a time.
That was my thought when she mentioned steeper terrain.
I almost wonder if going back to the actual bunny hill to work on stance will change things for him.

Keeping in mind that these are 375 ft vertical hills not mountains. ;)

Also Phil brought up the skis he's on.
Because the kids school program has free rentals, she decided to not purchase equipment just yet. I can imagine the rental skis haven't been tuned (ever) and are probably pretty straight.
Phil wondered if a better shaped ski may help him.

And another thing....
I was wondering if getting him on terrain with some small rollers may help. I recall Dookey taking kids on a run that had man made rollers and watching the kids naturally bring their feet together and develop some extension/flexion.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Great instruction that appears to be fun for them to learn good technique. Wish I had this when I was a kid.
I agree, that first video is a great one.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is a video (not a great one but its what I have) of my nephew working on hands out front by holding a pole while my BIL has the other pole.
They did this on the bunny hill and it seemed to work in the moment.
Lots of good info here, including the videos @rcc55125 Thanks.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If the child really wanting poles as a treat, you could give Poles but still with restrictions; and that you will take them away if not used as directed.

When on the slopes/groomers, poles only in horizontal practice mode until better parallel turns achieved. Poles will be taken away if being dragged and/or revert to power wedge . You can always leave the poles temporarily at a liftstation if they are getting in the way, nobody will take them.

Vertical mode poles only for cattracks and liftlines; or for low speed ski maneuvering between trees practice (should you want to start that).

Even if the poles are for the cattracks only; it is still more fun, and will save you having to pull/tow.

motogreg

A liftie once told me I was an okay skier....
Skier
In my opinion, which is worthless, unless they are a prodigy, at 7 years old the focus should be on having fun, not critiquing technique. Crystal is my "home" "mountain", just getting kids to turn instead of bombing every run is a win.

Also, according to my own kids (7.9, 10, and 12) who tried it for the first time a couple weeks ago, NASTAR improved their skiing with only a few runs....

Personally I wouldnt worry about poles till they are ready to start carving, all it does is give them more to manage when loading and unloading lifts, which is what you do more than ski at crystal....

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In my opinion, which is worthless, unless they are a prodigy, at 7 years old the focus should be on having fun, not critiquing technique. Crystal is my "home" "mountain", just getting kids to turn instead of bombing every run is a win.

Also, according to my own kids (7.9, 10, and 12) who tried it for the first time a couple weeks ago, NASTAR improved their skiing with only a few runs....

Personally I wouldnt worry about poles till they are ready to start carving, all it does is give them more to manage when loading and unloading lifts, which is what you do more than ski at crystal....

Thanks.
The reason I started this thread was to get a few tips so that he continues to improve for safety reason, and still have fun. Getting super techy was never my intent.

As for poles, I'm not sure why its been a topic for so many in this thread. He's not asking for poles and the only time he's had poles is when he took his mom's for the drill that the instructor was working on with him.

Heck, maybe you'll run into them some time. I mean...don't literally run into them but...

Mike B

Putting on skis
Skier
Focus on what he does well and create a progression from there. Hint: it has nothing to do with his hands.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As for poles, I'm not sure why its been a topic for so many in this thread. He's not asking for poles and the only time he's had poles is when he took his mom's for the drill that the instructor was working on with him.

I think people have the impression that giving poles automatically forces the hands up and it doesn't. I have battled dropped hands with poles many times as a coach.

Focus on what he does well and create a progression from there. Hint: it has nothing to do with his hands.

Why be so vague? If you have advice, just give it rather than forcing someone to guess what you are hinting at.

Mike B

Putting on skis
Skier
I think people have the impression that giving poles automatically forces the hands up and it doesn't. I have battled dropped hands with poles many times as a coach.

Why be so vague? If you have advice, just give it rather than forcing someone to guess what you are hinting at.
Because if you are an instructor then those folks should be able to tell what he does well and create a progression. If they are not instructors that do this for a career then why are they giving advice that is unhelpful?

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
From the video, it is difficult to asses his fore/aft balance, but the thing that really stands out is the width of his wedge. It is not a gliding wedge, so it is unlikely that he has learned much about foot to foot balance, rotary, and I'd be willing to be that he is aft. Personally, I'd be looking for a different instructor who will focus on trying to get him parallel or at least in a gliding wedge so that he can learn the skills he will need to get parallel.

As to his hands, while he is at an age where mirroring has likely started to disappear from his normal movement patterns, I'm a big fan of using hand movements to coordinate with foot and leg movements even in adults. So, give him a task with his hands to mimic what he should be doing with his feet and legs. That will get his hands in front and doing something productive. Although I don't believe moving his hands in front will do much, if anything, to improve his fore/aft stance. The will be in a position to assist with balance.

Mike

Mike B

Putting on skis
Skier
Ok, Ill add to what I thought would be a positive form of guided discovery instead of focusing on the negatives, for my last post.

What does the old outside ski need to do to release the turn? (He does it well). What can he do to that ski once that is accomplished?
Good luck. Adios.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I deleted a few posts that were unnecessary banter.

Back to the 7 year old.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
From the video, it is difficult to asses his fore/aft balance, but the thing that really stands out is the width of his wedge. It is not a gliding wedge, so it is unlikely that he has learned much about foot to foot balance, rotary, and I'd be willing to be that he is aft. Personally, I'd be looking for a different instructor who will focus on trying to get him parallel or at least in a gliding wedge so that he can learn the skills he will need to get parallel.

As to his hands, while he is at an age where mirroring has likely started to disappear from his normal movement patterns, I'm a big fan of using hand movements to coordinate with foot and leg movements even in adults. So, give him a task with his hands to mimic what he should be doing with his feet and legs. That will get his hands in front and doing something productive. Although I don't believe moving his hands in front will do much, if anything, to improve his fore/aft stance. The will be in a position to assist with balance.

Mike
Thank you Mike.
He has only been skiing about 6 times and has had a handful of beginner lessons.
While on the magic carpet he had to prove that he could control his speed and turn. They also worked on his hands because he was keeping his hands behind him.
They worked on his hadn position to get him forward which (in turn) brought his legs to more of a gliding wedge position.
Now that he's off skiing with mom, his hand position has dropped and he's back to a big wedge instead of a gliding wedge.

This is the only reason I was originally talking about hand position.
And no, there is no intention of introducing poles, other than the drill while holding mom's pole like in the second video.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Wendy
    Resurrecting the Oxford comma
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January