• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

7 year old progression help

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yep. And forget about all that fore-aft balance talk too.....

Just have fun. And, again, nastar at crystal runs tuesday-sunday, and is 5 bucks for 4 runs for the kiddos. My 8 year old got a platinum last week, easy-peasy, ,all she had to do was skip the gates on the bottom half of the course. Killin' it.
Thanks. Right now they are only skiing Thursday nights with the schooll program, so NASTAR is not likely going to happen (for now). Thank you for the suggestion.

Smear

Getting off the lift
Skier
but the thing my sister has observed is that he stands taller and turns better when he keeps his hands up, but he has a habit of dropping his hands to his knees.
I think its because its a natural chain reaction in your body when your hands are in a better position.

I have a 7-year old son that I ski with a lot after he decided to quit the locaI ski trainings. I try keep it fun and not to instruct him, but sometimes sneak in a bit. We have a game we call "hermegåsa", ehh copycat-goose?? . The person in front decides what to do and the follower have to do the same. We split the hill in half so that both get to decide, often doing something with the hands while turning. My exersizes are usually something productive like schlopyes or reaching for outside boot. His are more of variable quality, but whatever focused he does with his hands while turning it usually improves what the skis are doing on the snow. On the other hand if he starts mindlessly sucking on his mitts then his skiing turns shit instantly...

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I agree, practicing a traverse it just happens.
It doesn't happen with all kids. Many hang onto that wedge as if their lives depended on it, even when traversing. Thumpers is a good traverse drill; thump the uphill ski tail onto the snow; how loud can you thump?Thump thump THUMP!!! That will delete the wedge, at least while thumping. It gets them on the outside ski. And their minds are on thumping loudly. If they are brave enough to try it.

Kurt

Ski 4 Life
Instructor
It doesn't happen with all kids. Many hang onto that wedge as if their lives depended on it, even when traversing. Thumpers is a good traverse drill; thump the uphill ski tail onto the snow; how loud can you thump?Thump thump THUMP!!! That will delete the wedge, at least while thumping. It gets them on the outside ski. And their minds are on thumping loudly. If they are brave enough to try it.
Yep, that's a good one too. What works for one student may not work for another, glad a lot of options are available.

Sponsor

Staff online