• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

73 need a easier boot to get in and out of

Levy1

Putting on skis
Skier
I've had extensive work done all my life on alignment and Bob at Telluride after my broken leg set me up with a 5-degree can't on my right boot 1° on the left in a Lange RS 130. Also I have large severe bunions. I always get a 97 last boot because I need that tightness but at my age I am unable to get in and out of my boot's any longer. What can I purchase that might be somewhat easier to work with but still be planeable and cantable? I am laid off so I am unable to get back to Telluride.

Bienski

Putting on skis
Skier
I've had extensive work done all my life on alignment and Bob at Telluride after my broken leg set me up with a 5-degree can't on my right boot 1° on the left in a Lange RS 130. Also I have large severe bunions. I always get a 97 last boot because I need that tightness but at my age I am unable to get in and out of my boot's any longer. What can I purchase that might be somewhat easier to work with but still be planeable and cantable? I am laid off so I am unable to get back to Telluride.
You didn’t say how old your current RS 130s are, but if they are older and don’t use the new Dual Core technology, I suggest you look at a new pair of Langes. I also ski the RS 130 and my new pair is significantly easier to get into than my old pair.

TS
Levy1

Levy1

Putting on skis
Skier
You didn’t say how old your current RS 130s are, but if they are older and don’t use the new Dual Core technology, I suggest you look at a new pair of Langes. I also ski the RS 130 and my new pair is significantly easier to get into than my old pair.
3 years old how do you tell if they're dual core or not?

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Assuming you're trying to stay with a four buckle overlap boot, will say my old Salomon X-max 120 boots are not a problem, the prior Nordica Speedmachine 110's were difficult. If you can find a NIB S-max or S-pro, coming from a Lange, I'd think to try the pro. Could try a new Salomon S-pro 130 or 120, although I can't promise the same ease as I think Salomon changed the cuff plastics.

Bienski

Putting on skis
Skier
I believe Lange introduced Dual Core in 2018. I have the 2019-2020 model and it has Dual Core written on the outside front of the boot and twice on the back of the boot.

TS
Levy1

Levy1

Putting on skis
Skier
I did have that Salomon xmax a few years ago and went into the Lange about 3 years ago. I'm being told that there's no difference in fit with the RS in a 97 or 100 as far as the ankle area that the only difference is the 100 has a wider tow box and that's the only place where it's any bigger. That would really help with my severe bunions if I could get into a 100.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The easiest 4 buckle I have found to get in and out of is the K2 Recon which is available in a 97mm last plus it has the same stance as your Langes. Now, 5* is significant. 5* is significant for canting. The K2 will be able to accommodate that but will need some prep in that the lugs will need to be filled with JB weld or Epoxy before routing.

If easy is the main goal and you are willing to give up a bit of performance, the Nordica 110 HF might be an option.

TS
Levy1

Levy1

Putting on skis
Skier
The easiest 4 buckle I have found to get in and out of is the K2 Recon which is available in a 97mm last plus it has the same stance as your Langes. Now, 5* is significant. 5* is significant for canting. The K2 will be able to accommodate that but will need some prep in that the lugs will need to be filled with JB weld or Epoxy before routing.

If easy is the main goal and you are willing to give up a bit of performance, the Nordica 110 HF might be an option.
I never knew you could fill a lug what do you do drill a hole in it?

Castle Dave

Getting off the lift
Skier
Have you tried a heated boot bag? Using one made my life so much easier. To remove the boots I just use the car heater for 5 to 10 minutes and off they come.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The easiest 4 buckle I have found to get in and out of is the K2 Recon

Sadly, these did not feel like "my feet" when I tried them on, but they darn near fall on and off your foot.

When I got into an RX130 then switched to an Intuition liner, the boot became quite a bit easier to get on and off. If you love your RS130s this approach might be worth a try.

TS
Levy1

Levy1

Putting on skis
Skier
Have you tried a heated boot bag? Using one made my life so much easier. To remove the boots I just use the car heater for 5 to 10 minutes and off they come.
Yes I am using a heated boot bag for about 3 years now.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sadly, these did not feel like "my feet" when I tried them on, but they darn near fall on and off your foot.

When I got into an RX130 then switched to an Intuition liner, the boot became quite a bit easier to get on and off. If you love your RS130s this approach might be worth a try.
I just got some Intuition Dreamliners LV to replace packed out RS130 liners. Right toes are a little pinched, but the rest felt pretty good without molding and skiing for a few days. I'll have to see how they still feel as the season progresses. The ankle and instep hold is back to where it needs to be (firm), but not as tight as the brand new boot and liner. This was the liner recommended by Intuition when I filled out their form.

Yes I am using a heated boot bag for about 3 years now.

Levy, the lace-up liner is new to me, so all I can say is that it slides in easier than it comes out. I have not tried it without the laces like a normal liner. I spayed the inside of my boot with some silicon+teflon to smooth things out.

I'm intrigued by the new Full Tilt First Chair 130, which should be much easier to put on than the Lange. Even Bode wears FT. :)

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier

The Nordica HF 110's are fairly easy to get into. I had a severe ankle injury in my right foot that limits it flexion . Out of the box the boot slipped on quite easily. But the loss of muscle mass in the right calf required the boot fitter to set new up with tongue inserts to make up some space. I skied three days with this setup and found that the tongue inserts would ride up when the boot was flexed. The high tech fix was duct tape. The boot now is much more difficult to get into but it is quite comfortable for all day wear and quite warm with my WigWam ski socks.
I still found them a bit soft flex wise so next time out I'm using a pair of NRS 2' straps to act as Booster/Power straps. Thanks to a poster here on SkiTalk for that tip. One of the straps can pull double duty as boot carriers:)
Slemers

Sponsor

Staff online