• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

86 Fuji OPUS III

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
The Japanese were making fantastic high end bikes in the 70's and through till around 1987. After that even they were getting stuff made in Taiwan. Miyata and Fuji were two of the very best.
I've had a '82 Miyata Team Pro for over a decade now but have been keeping an eye open for a high end 80's Fuji.

Enter this '86 Fuji OPUS III frameset.

86 OPUS III.jpg

For production based frames they are good, VERY good. In fact better the some semi production stuff out of the UK and Italy at the time. Looking over all the details I was duly impressed.
The build would have to be all period Japanese kit but NO Shimano. I almost achieved that with exceptions for the Italian saddle and rims. I will go on record as saying the the later Suntour Superbe Pro components are without equal during this time period. The hubs, front and rear changers and the infamous hidden spring sidepull brakes are all amazing. Nitto came through with bars, stem and bottle cages. Sugino for the crankset and bottom bracket. The MKS RX-1 pedals also are without peer. Lastly the Suntour Winner Ultra7 freewheel in a 13-26 purrs like a kitten...

Have only been out for a short 25 miler on her so far but I can tell we'll get along fabulously! Love the look, the mechanical simplicity and excellence of this build.

OPUS 02.JPG

OPUS 04.JPG

OPUS 06.JPG

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
I rode/raced those brake calipers for years - best single-pivot caliper ever. Still have them on the front of a bike I use for easy "gravel" riding.

Img_0079smaller.jpg

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Indeed. The Campy Chorus Monoplaner from the early 90's would come in second (first loser!).

OPUS 08.JPG

Suntour Superbe Pro hidden spring

Campy 91-94 Chorus Monoplaner brakes 2.jpg

Campagnolo Chorus Monoplaner

Campy Monoplaner on Chesini.jpg

Campy Monoplaner on my '92 Chesini Arena

Last edited:

Sponsor