• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

$899.00 for a K2 ski??

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lets get back to this being about K2 skis and not other unrelated products.

So, how does K2 train its factory employees? When they first made the move (20 years ago)? that must have been a bit of an undertaking.

Are there quite a few Americans still on the ground there? What about quality control? And how do they work to prevent knock-offs?

And is K2 (and Liberty) doing advertising in China, given that Xi wants X number of new skiers?

Lilledonmarco

Booting up
Skier
This thread is interesting.

Here's a tip - the next time you go skiing actually look at what you are wearing. Your googles, helmet, outer layer, poles, boots (or at least, most parts of them), bindings, transceiver and backpack are ALL made in China....

Yet, people have no issue with that...but skis? They should be made somewhere else. :)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This thread is interesting.

Here's a tip - the next time you go skiing actually look at what you are wearing. Your googles, helmet, outer layer, poles, boots (or at least, most parts of them), bindings, transceiver and backpack are ALL made in China....

Yet, people have no issue with that...but skis? They should be made somewhere else. :)
And the device they are typing to complain, where do you think that was produced.

Most of the bindings do come from Europe though. ;)

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Soooo I had to try it, not really loving the china thing, but seeing how good the revolt volkl series built in china has been... well yeah had to try.

Now the owner of k2 mti 74mm 180cm now. Daymn stiff for so little metal, so far looks good. My first brand new 70mm ski in a while.

Last edited:

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Soooo I had to try it, not really loving the china thing, but seeing how good the revolt Völkl series built in china has been... well yeah had to try.

Now the owner of k2 mti 74mm 180cm now. Daymn stiff for so little metal, so far looks good. My first brand new 70mm ski in a while.
Yup, while Chinese produced won't stop me from purchasing a ski, I would prefer a ski made in USA or Europe all else equal especially if there isn't much price difference. I own some k2 skis, but wish the brand would move production back to the states. Let's see what new ownership does from here, because my sense is the mindbender series has not moved the needle in terms of revitalizing the brand. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if k2 has lost more market share in the past year.

beantownace

Booting up
Skier
Maybe it is just me but I find it hard to believe a K2 ski made in China would retail for $899.00. I have not considered a K2 product as a viable option since they moved production to China years ago. With a retail price greater than a Blossom White Out, I cannot believe they could be worth what K2 is asking.

Do they really have the materials, manufacturing process, and QA to justify that price, or is this becoming the new baseline retail price for skis?

If that's the case, Stöckli prices aren't that much greater for the proven quality you get.

Just asking.
Send me some beers after I get you a great deal. Go to Corbetts.com purchase the ski in Canadian $ takes a little to ship them but they don't take too long you can get the K2 disruption for around 700 with binding. Just got the 82ti myself.

Sponsor

Staff online