• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 8hrs to killington or 9.5hrs to stowe

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
IIRC Goat was recut in the 66 or 67. I was there in 69 but my skills were more perfect for the Spruce side then.
I'm not thinking a major re-cut, just remove a few more trees to make it wider. I remember it being literally one mogul wide the first time I skied it, and it is 2 or 3 wide now.
(Of course, maybe that's just the rosy glow of memory talking....)

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I'm not thinking a major re-cut, just remove a few more trees to make it wider. I remember it being literally one mogul wide the first time I skied it, and it is 2 or 3 wide now.
(Of course, maybe that's just the rosy glow of memory talking....)

Starr is apparently originally about half the width it is now, which would certainly add some significant challenge, especially when you consider that in the '60's skis were much longer than they typically are now. I can see running out of real-estate in a hurry.

I've seen old trail maps of Stowe that show the original Goat trail isn't where the current variation is. See: https://waw.w3.uvm.edu/skivt-l/?Pag...eHistLrg.jpeg&dir=./vault/Historic_Trail_Maps

It looks like "original Goat" headed down from the current start but towards Nosedive trail. I believe the remnants of it are what is now considered Pipeline? I've never been in there. I've heard it's ridiculously steep and tight. What is labeled "Nosedive Cutoff" (now "Bypass") -- a narrow rocky little trail -- was the "easy way" around the seven turns of Nosedive Trail. :geek:

There is a section on Upper Goat that's essentially "one bump wide" where you need to squeeze past an ice covered boulder on your right and trees on your left. Most of Upper Goat isn't so much "bumps" but random snow piles while you dodge rocks and tree stumps. i.e., it sucks. The rest of Goat varies in width, but you always have at least three or four bumps to work with and sometimes one or two more. When I first skied it (2005 or so?) I remember thinking that it's wider than I thought it would be.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Most of Upper Goat isn't so much "bumps" but random snow piles while you dodge rocks and tree stumps. i.e., it sucks.
That's what I referred to in another thead as "called bumps only out of politeness".

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
You're weird.

It rained last night and today. Currently the snow is trying a valiant assault but they’re too few in number. The tide may turn in a few hours.

*shrug* just pointing out the obvious. After all the Von Trapp Austrian discussion and @James noting that the snow hasn't been able take the place by storm?

Do you really think the flakes are not French?

Last edited:

Tonyr4

Putting on skis
Skier
Thinking about a road trip from Ohio this winter. Killington is about 8 hrs and Stowe is about 9.5 hrs. Wondering people’s opinions on the shorter drive or the longer drive.
I have skied Killington and Stowe a number of times and love both places, the terrain is better at Stowe. With that being said if your only skiing blue runs that extra 3 hours round trip is probably not worth the drive unless your looking for a higher end hotel, shopping, restaurant experience to go along with the skiing. Killington has more of the college type crowd but the access road does have lots of good restaurants on it. Honesty you will have fun at either place if the weather is good.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Thinking about a road trip from Ohio this winter. Killington is about 8 hrs and Stowe is about 9.5 hrs. Wondering people’s opinions on the shorter drive or the longer drive.

I have been to both. Stowe would be my choice no doubt.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
’m leaning towards Stowe but I have plenty of time to decide

I was stunned to find it was getting hard to find a room near Killington on April!

Unless booking.com is lying about that “Only two rooms left at this price” thing they always say.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
There is a Fairfield Inn right off the main road in Waterbury that looks nice from the outside but I've never stay there.
It's pretty nice- about what I'd expect for a Marriott place. I've stayed there to ski Sugarbush, MRG, and Stowe before. Good location.

Last edited:

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Well, typical VT weather this weekend. Rain yesterday, a foot of snow overnight and wind hold today. Clients yesterday were like "we'll have more terrain tomorrow, right?". No. less terrain. It gets better from here though.