• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 8hrs to killington or 9.5hrs to stowe

ELDoane

Gravity Fed, Beer Cooled
Skier
Exiled from VT, trying to ski off the Capitol Dome
Well, typical VT weather this weekend. Rain yesterday, a foot of snow overnight and wind hold today. Clients yesterday were like "we'll have more terrain tomorrow, right?". No. less terrain. It gets better from here though.
I swear, the view of the masses trying to negotiate the bumped up run out to the Quad was worth the price of admission. All I kept hearing in my head was Flight of the Valkyries as I watched hapless tourists launching themselves in all directions.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well, typical VT weather this weekend. Rain yesterday, a foot of snow overnight and wind hold today. Clients yesterday were like "we'll have more terrain tomorrow, right?". No. less terrain. It gets better from here though.
Well it was much whiter than yesterday. Looks like the can of maple syrup picture. So there’s that.

Joeski

Booting up
Skier
I didn't read 7 pages, but I worked at both mountains for a substantial period of time. This is my perspective as an expert skiier:

If you like to "get lost" (in a good way) exploring and and skiing all kinds of terrain, Killington is the best (my favorite, by far.) If you prefer finding that small hidden gem in the trees and don't mind skiing the same area quite a few times, you might like Stowe.

Killington is BIG, Stowe feels tiny in comparison. People in Stowe thing their mountain is way better. Killington has so much more that you're likely to find your own thing that isn't talked about as much, but is just as magical (to you.)

Off trail snow can be better at Stowe. There seems to be more 'light powder' days that make you think of the west coast. But they are few and far between, so if you get one you're lucky, but I wouldn't plan my trip based on that (go to Jay if that's what you want.)

après, I personally really like Stowe. The village is quaint, the shuttle is awesome, the people are great (unless you say you like Killington better, lol.)

If you're a family I'd probably say Stowe, Killington is a bit more chaotic and Stowe is more calming. If it's just you or a couple of advanced skiers, you're likely far away from the chaos at Killington so that doesn't matter.

I lived at the base of the mountain road in Stowe and worked in facilities there after college. I worked on-snow at Killington throughout college, including the seasons I 'took off from school to ski 7 days/week' and lived about 45min away.

Joeski

Booting up
Skier
I just saw that OP is intermediate. I'd probably recommend what others have said and check out Okemo or Stratton - quieter, cheaper, and more percentage of intermediate skiing. Killington is a zoo if you can't get escape into the more challenging terrain. Stowe is kinda small for the price, especially if you eliminate the trees, steeps, and bumps.

I also love love love Sugarbush.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure I’d agree with “quieter” - all of those places will be a zoo on any midwinter weekend.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Unless something has changed at Okemo, getting from the base lodge and up onto the mountain is like rush hour traffic...

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Unless something has changed at Okemo, getting from the base lodge and up onto the mountain is like rush hour traffic...

Something has changed. They've opened Jackson Gore, an entirely new section. Parking isn't bad (although you walk uphill to the lodge or take the shuttle), and the trip from the lodge to the lift is uncomplicated, usually not crowded, and flat! JG isn't open until a little later in the season. It's on National Park land, and the bears won't be disturbed until they are fully hibernating. And that's a good thing!

James

Out There
Instructor
At the wrong time, true. It’s also why you don’t go back down there. Or go midweek.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
The last time I was at Okemo was just after JG was opened. I had heard that was an alternative, but never got to try it in practice. Most people will go to the main lodge, and on weekends (which is when the OP said he would be going) there's a lot of skier traffic unless you get there very early and beat the crowds. Not what I would want a spouse that's a green run skier to have to deal with...been there, done that.

SIMMS7400

Booting up
Skier
Stowe is the Aspen of the East and should be avoided at all costs. It's infested with G-Wagon driving lodge moms, walking around in their faux-mink jackets with a YETI mug filled with Irish Coffee claiming making believe they are on some sort of 'Real Housewives of Stowe' reality show. And what really grinds my gears is that they always use the stats of Mt. Mansfield to tout their resort. While Stowe IS on Mt. Mansfield, the tallest lifts at Stowe only service 80% up the mountain. It's actually a joke because they claim their Summit Elevation is 4,395 but that's actually the elevation of the true summit of Mt. Mansfield. So the 2100 of vertical they claim is actually more like 1600, it's an absolute an utter joke when compared to the MUCH better choices of mountains in that area.

TBH, I would scrap both of your choices and highly consider Sugarbush or Smuggs as they are right there as well. Hit Sugarbush mid-week and you'll have Lincoln and Ellen Peaks to yourself. Its one of my favorite mountains in the East (other than Sugar Loaf). Smuggs is also another great option and doesn't see 1/4 of the crowds that Killington and Stowe see. They are still living in the 80's/90's and its a really cool old school vibe.

Don't sleep on Whiteface either. It has the most vertical in the East (3,400) and a great variety of terrain and not to mention some of the most spectacular scenery in the east overlooking Lake Placid and the Adirondack Region..

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
And what really grinds my gears is that they always use the stats of Mt. Mansfield to tout their resort. While Stowe IS on Mt. Mansfield, the tallest lifts at Stowe only service 80% up the mountain. It's actually a joke because they claim their Summit Elevation is 4,395 but that's actually the elevation of the true summit of Mt. Mansfield. So the 2100 of vertical they claim is actually more like 1600, it's an absolute an utter joke when compared to the MUCH better choices of mountains in that area.
The Four Runner Quad rises 2,046 feet, and the Gondola rises 2100 feet. https://liftblog.com/stowe-vt/

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Stowe is the Aspen of the East and should be avoided at all costs. It's infested with G-Wagon driving lodge moms, walking around in their faux-mink jackets with a YETI mug filled with Irish Coffee claiming making believe they are on some sort of 'Real Housewives of Stowe' reality show. And what really grinds my gears is that they always use the stats of Mt. Mansfield to tout their resort. While Stowe IS on Mt. Mansfield, the tallest lifts at Stowe only service 80% up the mountain. It's actually a joke because they claim their Summit Elevation is 4,395 but that's actually the elevation of the true summit of Mt. Mansfield. So the 2100 of vertical they claim is actually more like 1600, it's an absolute an utter joke when compared to the MUCH better choices of mountains in that area.

TBH, I would scrap both of your choices and highly consider Sugarbush or Smuggs as they are right there as well. Hit Sugarbush mid-week and you'll have Lincoln and Ellen Peaks to yourself. Its one of my favorite mountains in the East (other than Sugar Loaf). Smuggs is also another great option and doesn't see 1/4 of the crowds that Killington and Stowe see. They are still living in the 80's/90's and its a really cool old school vibe.

Don't sleep on Whiteface either. It has the most vertical in the East (3,400) and a great variety of terrain and not to mention some of the most spectacular scenery in the east overlooking Lake Placid and the Adirondack Region..

I agree with the bolded portion of this entirely; please go somewhere (anywhere !) else because I enjoy skiing uncrowded slopes. :D

Stowe does claim a vertical drop of 2,360 feet and it can be skied continuously... but the only way to do it is to ski Toll Road (a green) from the top of the Fourrunner Quad to the base of the Toll House chair. It's not exactly exciting skiing. As @Laurel Hill Crazie stated, the "fun" vertical of Stowe is in the (still very respectable) 2,100 vertical foot range.

Sponsor

Staff online