• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 8hrs to killington or 9.5hrs to stowe

Smitty244

Booting up
Skier
Thinking about a road trip from Ohio this winter. Killington is about 8 hrs and Stowe is about 9.5 hrs. Wondering people’s opinions on the shorter drive or the longer drive.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'd do Stowe.. Better terrain and glades if it snows. More Iconic as the real life family from The Sound of Music founded Stowe. But, make it a point to hit both at some point in your lifetime. Killington is great very early or very late season.. and has great spring bump skiing.. World Cup races too..

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Depends on your pass.....Ikon or Epic.

I really like both.....for different reasons. Really depends on what you/family are looking for. I have Epic pass, I am at Stowe more now......(and my kids are in Burlington)

Pros
Killington- closer drive for you, lodging will be cheaper......lots of different terrain zones/lots of different ways to move around the mountain. Lots of snowmaking...it is the Beast.
Stowe- classic VT, great terrain/trees, snow conditions are usually pretty damn good.

Cons
Killington- all of NY/NJ loves Killington.
Stowe- further drive for you, more expensive overall..

Last edited:

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
When I first started to travel to Vermont to ski, Killington was always my destination. Then a friend of mine living in Woodstock near Killington took me to Stowe. I think I've been back to Killington once since then. Both offer interesting skiing but I do prefer Stowe. Mt. Mansfield is tall. Killington is big.

TS
Smitty244

Smitty244

Booting up
Skier
I have only been skiing a few years now but I have been out to Colorado to copper and keystone. I’d mostly be doing intermediate stuff. No trees or moguls yet

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have only been skiing a few years now but I have been out to Colorado to copper and keystone. I’d mostly be doing intermediate stuff. No trees or moguls yet
if only intermediate stuff/cruisers....skip Stowe (for now) and just go to Killington....or even better go to Okemo. It is perfect terrain for an intermediate skiing family.......but it will be crowded with other families of the same wants/needs....lol.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I would do Killington and like others have said Stowe is not far for a side trip.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
if only intermediate stuff/cruisers....skip Stowe (for now) and just go to Killington....or even better go to Okemo. It is perfect terrain for an intermediate skiing family.......but it will be crowded with other families of the same wants/needs....lol.
^ this. or Stratton if you're an IKON type.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Pros
Killington- closer drive for you, lodging will be cheaper......lots of different terrain zones/lots of different ways to move around the mountain. Lots of snowmaking...it is the Beast.
Stowe- classic VT, great terrain/trees, snow conditions are usually pretty damn good.

Cons
Killington- all of NY/NJ loves Killington.
Stowe- further drive for you, more expensive overall..

I've never skied Stowe (on the bucket list!) but I have a few more pros and cons to offer re K.

Pros
-huge variety of terrain
-some of the mountains are quieter than the super-crowded ones
-midweek early mornings are lovely

Cons
-has a rowdier reputation (think drinking beer and smoking weed on the lifts (therefore the 20-somethings are skiing fast and recklessly as the day wears on), noisy crowds at the bar toward the end of the day
-easy to get lost (so easy!)

If your family craves the party atmosphere, don't let me stand in your way. ;)

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Okemo is close to Killington and has a more family atmosphere. If you're going during a crowded time (school vacations), it is quite crowded, though.

TS
Smitty244

Smitty244

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for the info. Anything sounds good compared to the normal 750’ of vertical I’m used to. What’s a good month to go so I’m guaranteed good snow and when all the terrain is open? Maybe mid January early February?

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
... yeah, but so is Killington
Quite true. Actually, being retired and living up there, I never skied during those vacations! My pass was usually mid-week and blacked out.

Once I was there on a weekend, to ski with a bunch of folks who were working five days. It was a bit of a zoo. But I wasn’t much of a skier then, so that made it even harder.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The poster's Midwest school vacation may not be the same as our super-crowded New England school vacation week.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I havent skied snowkemostratton iin prime conditon but imo don't bother go to killington sugarbush or stowe. Heck get the ikon and go to mt tremblant too.

Or if there is good snow go on the cheap to Magic and Smugglers

January is hit or miss. Late Feb to mid March is where its at if its at at all

Sponsor

Staff online