• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 8hrs to killington or 9.5hrs to stowe

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not too far north of Toledo and would much rather drive to Gore than Killington, so given the choice you presented I'd say Stowe. Never been there, but plan to fix that this February.

TS
Smitty244

Smitty244

Booting up
Skier
Depending if my wife can go since she is a school teacher, I might be making the trip solo. Kinda sketchy since if I got hurt and could drive home.

Last edited:
TS
Smitty244

Smitty244

Booting up
Skier
I'm not too far north of Toledo and would much rather drive to Gore than Killington, so given the choice you presented I'd say Stowe. Never been there, but plan to fix that this February.
Pick me up on your way through lol. I’m in Conneaut on the Ohio pa border.

Carl

On the north side of the mountain
Skier
Lots of intermediate terrain at Killington. Stowe's best terrain is the more advanced stuff. You many also consider Sugarbush, two mountains with lots of combined terrain and plenty of intermediate trails. The further north you go the more snow they get.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I'd do Stowe.. Better terrain and glades if it snows. More Iconic as the real life family from The Sound of Music founded Stowe. But, make it a point to hit both at some point in your lifetime. Killington is great very early or very late season.. and has great spring bump skiing.. World Cup races too..

The comment about the Von Trapp’s founding Stowe is “not so accurate.”
I grew up there. The Von Trapp’s moved to town in 1942. As I recall they moved to Stowe because they hated the humid summers of the Mid-Altantic and when the saw Stowe and VT, it reminded them of Austria.

They turned a small lodge into a pretty big business. Now 2500+ acres, big Nordic trail network, lots of summer MTB, and something like a 100 roon lodge. I learned last year that Sam, who runs it and is the third generation is married to a Purcell, who’s family owns and runs Portillo. Good genes.

But no, they had nothing to do with the Mount Mansfield Co, and the “Mount Mansfield LIFT Co” which with a big assist to the CCC developed the ski area. Both sides of route 108.

The guy generally acknowledged locally as being the founder/driving force at the start was a lumber baron, and local, Craig Burt. Our first ski house was his son’s first home in town. The wood used to build it pretty much could only be obtained by a lumber guy.

My dad also did a lot of business with an NYC investment broker, Roland Palmedo, who invested a lot of money in MRG and the MMC.

Sorry for the history correction. BTW, the Von Trapp’s were not too well known, though they toured all over the country as singers….until the well fictionalized story came out as the Sound of Music and their fame and notoriety exploded.

One of our family homes was on Moscow Road, very close to their land. As a kid Maria scared me…let’s say that she did not resemble Julie Andrews. We were weekenders and not locals. My dad would occasionally remind her that he had been there longer than they had!!!

Stowe is THE iconic New England Ski town, though much, much more different that it was even 30 years ago. Killington, where I coached for three years and have “skied” hundreds of days to me has not so much soul.

Stowe in March, in a normal winter is pretty hard to beat, IMO.

Actually lots of good choices, here.

If you road trip solo, I’d consider staying in Waterbury, and skiing Stowe, Sugarbush and MRG {just to experience the place}. Stowe’s ski reputation can be blown way out of proportion. I could go a week and almost never leave the woods. My 86 year old mom was very happy cruising all over the place on groomers. She could rip, even late in her ski career. My kids were “pretty solid” skiers, and were skiing all over the place at 4-5. Lots to ski other than the Front Four.

Crowds can be an issue. Midweek is great. Pretty much the same in all of N.E.

We moved our ski base/home 30 years ago to Maine, but ski 10-15 days a season at Stowe. Have friends who are at Sugarbush who we always catch up with.

Really beautiful part of the country! Have fun!

TS
Smitty244

Smitty244

Booting up
Skier
Is Waterbury kind of between sugarbush and Stowe then? Any recommendations on where to stay?

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I learned last year that Sam, who runs it and is the third generation was married to a Purcell, who’s family owns and runs Portillo. Good genes.

FIFY

BTW: where was the Burt house you lived in? Sounds cool. I hope some A-hole COVID refugee hasn't bought it and torn it down!

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Is Waterbury kind of between sugarbush and Stowe then? Any recommendations on where to stay?

Yes, Waterbury is midway between Stowe and Sugarbush. Lots of Airbnb’s, hotels, etc.

The drive to either area is fairly straightforward; maybe 30, 40 minutes to either place?

Waterbury is sometimes referred to as “Beerbury”. There are a lot of breweries packed into about two blocks.

Also near Waterbury is Bolton Valley which is a much quieter scene than Stowe or Bush. Ski area vs ski resort.

Muleski

Inactive
Haha, past tense.

We were on Weeks Hill Rd, the house just above the Mayo Farm. Bought it in 1986. It was a pretty boring looking house. A lot like a Deck House in design. It faced south, looked over the farm, right at the church steeple in the village. All glass.

Turn 90 degrees, and you looked right at Mansfield. Pretty neat. The living room walls were all black cherry, built in cherry and ash couch along the wall. Floors all locally milled maple and pine. MBR wall all Tiger Maple.

The land was great. What a setting. The farm still operated. We often have a cow or pig or two jump the barbed wire fence to come say hi. We bought it with 5 acres, as we could not afford the other 13, which ww had an option to buy, right of refusal.

We sold it in 1994. The owners had a house fire, and rebuilt on the foundation. The “new house” doesn’t do much for me. As you drive on the farm road from the country club end, first house on the left, up on the hill.

Loved that place. Did NOT love the weekend group at that time. And Sugarloaf was ski home since 1960 for my wife. Was absolutely the right move for us. Though our kids, ages 35 and 32 STILL give us a hard time.

Stowe is special, no matter what may be being built, developed, etc.

Best ski memory ever was a 4 day long boy’s weekend with my then 7year old dad {an ex Olympian who could still RIP} and my then six year old son. Who did not ski like a six year old!

We had a blast. And got a lot of history lessons! My son still remembers it all.
FIFY

BTW: where was the Burt house you lived in? Sounds cool. I hope some A-hole COVID refugee hasn't bought it and torn it down!

TS
Smitty244

Smitty244

Booting up
Skier
What is Mrg. I’m totally unfamiliar so trying to get a little knowledge

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
What is Mrg. I’m totally unfamiliar so trying to get a little knowledge

MRG is Mad River Glen. It is a "throwback" ski area; they have the last surviving "single" chair anywhere in the US. It is an exact replica of their original lift from 1948. Very very little snowmaking. Their "base lodge" looks like somebody's back yard shed.

It is the closest you will get to a skiing time machine. They have some legendary hairball terrain, but they also have some honestly super nice groomers. There is terrain for everybody there.

If conditions are good, it is 100% worth a visit. Their snow report page will give you the unvarnished truth of what you will find. For instance, they have said "our conditions are simply atrocious; we are 100% open". :roflmao:So if you come up to Northern Vermont -- Bush, Stowe, Bolton, MRG -- build a little leeway into your schedule and keep an MRG day as a solid possibility.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The comment about the Von Trapp’s founding Stowe is “not so accurate.”
I grew up there. The Von Trapp’s moved to town in 1942. As I recall they moved to Stowe because they hated the humid summers of the Mid-Altantic and when the saw Stowe and VT, it reminded them of Austria.

They turned a small lodge into a pretty big business. Now 2500+ acres, big Nordic trail network, lots of summer MTB, and something like a 100 roon lodge. I learned last year that Sam, who runs it and is the third generation is married to a Purcell, who’s family owns and runs Portillo. Good genes.

But no, they had nothing to do with the Mount Mansfield Co, and the “Mount Mansfield LIFT Co” which with a big assist to the CCC developed the ski area. Both sides of route 108.

The guy generally acknowledged locally as being the founder/driving force at the start was a lumber baron, and local, Craig Burt. Our first ski house was his son’s first home in town. The wood used to build it pretty much could only be obtained by a lumber guy.

My dad also did a lot of business with an NYC investment broker, Roland Palmedo, who invested a lot of money in MRG and the MMC.

Sorry for the history correction. BTW, the Von Trapp’s were not too well known, though they toured all over the country as singers….until the well fictionalized story came out as the Sound of Music and their fame and notoriety exploded.

One of our family homes was on Moscow Road, very close to their land. As a kid Maria scared me…let’s say that she did not resemble Julie Andrews. We were weekenders and not locals. My dad would occasionally remind her that he had been there longer than they had!!!

Stowe is THE iconic New England Ski town, though much, much more different that it was even 30 years ago. Killington, where I coached for three years and have “skied” hundreds of days to me has not so much soul.

Stowe in March, in a normal winter is pretty hard to beat, IMO.

Actually lots of good choices, here.

If you road trip solo, I’d consider staying in Waterbury, and skiing Stowe, Sugarbush and MRG {just to experience the place}. Stowe’s ski reputation can be blown way out of proportion. I could go a week and almost never leave the woods. My 86 year old mom was very happy cruising all over the place on groomers. She could rip, even late in her ski career. My kids were “pretty solid” skiers, and were skiing all over the place at 4-5. Lots to ski other than the Front Four.

Crowds can be an issue. Midweek is great. Pretty much the same in all of N.E.

We moved our ski base/home 30 years ago to Maine, but ski 10-15 days a season at Stowe. Have friends who are at Sugarbush who we always catch up with.

Really beautiful part of the country! Have fun!
SHUT UP, You're ruining it! My wife won't want to go if she finds out that the Von Trapp's great grandkids won't be yodeling and singing carols to greet us as we walk up to the base lodge there...

Muleski

Inactive
MRG is Mad River Glen. It is a "throwback" ski area; they have the last surviving "single" chair anywhere in the US. It is an exact replica of their original lift from 1948. Very very little snowmaking. Their "base lodge" looks like somebody's back yard shed.

It is the closest you will get to a skiing time machine. They have some legendary hairball terrain, but they also have some honestly super nice groomers. There is terrain for everybody there.

If conditions are good, it is 100% worth a visit. Their snow report page will give you the unvarnished truth of what you will find. For instance, they have said "our conditions are simply atrocious; we are 100% open". :roflmao:So if you come up to Northern Vermont -- Bush, Stowe, Bolton, MRG -- build a little leeway into your schedule and keep an MRG day as a solid possibility.

100% !!

It's a part of ski history that many of us hope will last forever. It's pretty much the way New England skiing used to be. When I was a kid, Stowe had their original chair, and an ancient double that ran right next to each other form above the Mansfield Lodge to the Octagon. The lift at MRG is that kind of lift. And yes MRG has a variety of terrain. Catch it with good spring snow and sun....you'll never forget it!
And if the weather sucks, along with the skiing, it's an absolute do not miss "drive by", IMO. Very cool.

It's also a co-op in terms of ownership and governance. You can buy a share for $2000. That's pretty unique. Can't do that at Vail!

SHUT UP, You're ruining it! My wife won't want to go if she finds out that the Von Trapp's great grandkids won't be yodeling and singing carols to greet us as we walk up to the base lodge there...

Ahh, she will not be disappointed. Won't be any Von Trapp great grandchildren, but the Austrian "theme" is very strong in their lodge, from the architecture, to afternoon tea, etc. All good. Our secret with your wife!!!

Long Hair Hippy

Getting on the lift
Skier
I live in Toledo and have been heading east for quite a few years. I typically go late March/early April after our season is done in SE Michigan.

The drive is a piece of cake and takes roughly 11 hours to get to Stowe and just under 10 hours to get to the Killington area (Rutland). I do have a bit of a lead foot but traffic just seems to flow on the New York Thruway! The extra hour or so is negligible after that many miles.

I am fortunate (or unfortunate depending on how you view things) to have a volunteer/employee Epic NE pass. Plus I am a cheap SOB , so take my advice with a grain of salt. I typically arrive on Sunday and ski M-F if my schedule permits. Crowds so far are never an issue unless it’s a weekend.

Killington is big and like others have pointed out, can be a bit of a nut zone at times. Nothing wrong with that! It’s hard to beat spring skiing there. All levels of skiing here. The layout can be overwhelming and confusing. Although it’s been a few years, the wife and I always had fun here. I’ve had my ass handed to me by the mountain on more than one occasion here.

Stowe is a charming town and offers all types of skiing . The terrain won’t disappoint. Food, beverage and lodging can be somewhat more expensive depending on where you choose to stay and eat. It depends on what you’re looking for. Stowe base area is kind of confusing. Think lots of stairs! During the week parking is convenient. The last time I went to Stowe 5- nights lodging was just over $400.00 and that included a big breakfast. This was late season but we had a couple of 6” plus powder days.

Okemo as others have mentioned is not far from K-ton. Its groomers are long and there are several decent bump runs. Last year I skied Wednesday thru Saturday . Saturday had like 30 minute lift lines, but I met a lot of great folks in the line. I actually had a blast there.. Parking is not too bad and the layout is pretty straight forward. It can be a bit of a hike from the parking lot. Staying on property here will cost you a few bucks! It’s an easy drive from Rutland.

Here is something to consider…. The last couple of years ( well, not in 2020) , I’ve been staying in Rutland and using it as my base. It’s roughly within 90 minutes of Stowe, 20 minutes of Killington, 30 minutes of Okemo, and 90 minutes of Mt. Sunapee and Mt. Snow. Actually it is about 90 minutes to just about any mid to southern VT resort. It’s way cheaper than staying at on or near the resort. Lots of food and beverage options too. I will likely do the same again this year.

Honestly, since you are from the flatlands too, you can’t go wrong with any of them, Vermont is a beautiful state!

TS
Smitty244

Smitty244

Booting up
Skier
As I look out my back door and see grass and leaves still on the trees in the lower 40’s all this ski talk is making it difficult. I bought new skis in July and just got new boots. Bring on the snow

TS
Smitty244

Smitty244

Booting up
Skier
I live in Toledo and have been heading east for quite a few years. I typically go late March/early April after our season is done in SE Michigan.

The drive is a piece of cake and takes roughly 11 hours to get to Stowe and just under 10 hours to get to the Killington area (Rutland). I do have a bit of a lead foot but traffic just seems to flow on the New York Thruway! The extra hour or so is negligible after that many miles.

I am fortunate (or unfortunate depending on how you view things) to have a volunteer/employee Epic NE pass. Plus I am a cheap SOB , so take my advice with a grain of salt. I typically arrive on Sunday and ski M-F if my schedule permits. Crowds so far are never an issue unless it’s a weekend.

Killington is big and like others have pointed out, can be a bit of a nut zone at times. Nothing wrong with that! It’s hard to beat spring skiing there. All levels of skiing here. The layout can be overwhelming and confusing. Although it’s been a few years, the wife and I always had fun here. I’ve had my ass handed to me by the mountain on more than one occasion here.

Stowe is a charming town and offers all types of skiing . The terrain won’t disappoint. Food, beverage and lodging can be somewhat more expensive depending on where you choose to stay and eat. It depends on what you’re looking for. Stowe base area is kind of confusing. Think lots of stairs! During the week parking is convenient. The last time I went to Stowe 5- nights lodging was just over $400.00 and that included a big breakfast. This was late season but we had a couple of 6” plus powder days.

Okemo as others have mentioned is not far from K-ton. Its groomers are long and there are several decent bump runs. Last year I skied Wednesday thru Saturday . Saturday had like 30 minute lift lines, but I met a lot of great folks in the line. I actually had a blast there.. Parking is not too bad and the layout is pretty straight forward. It can be a bit of a hike from the parking lot. Staying on property here will cost you a few bucks! It’s an easy drive from Rutland.

Here is something to consider…. The last couple of years ( well, not in 2020) , I’ve been staying in Rutland and using it as my base. It’s roughly within 90 minutes of Stowe, 20 minutes of Killington, 30 minutes of Okemo, and 90 minutes of Mt. Sunapee and Mt. Snow. Actually it is about 90 minutes to just about any mid to southern VT resort. It’s way cheaper than staying at on or near the resort. Lots of food and beverage options too. I will likely do the same again this year.

Honestly, since you are from the flatlands too, you can’t go wrong with any of them, Vermont is a beautiful state!
Yeah if I talk the wife into going it’ll be mostly beginner runs. If I go alone it’ll be pretty much all blue runs. She has only skied a handful of times so I’m hoping to get her out a handful more before making a trip. I went out to Colorado in February of 2020 before covid hit hard and did mostly blues out there. I’m definitely not a capable mogul skier. Every time I try a mogul run I spend more time on my ass then I do on my feet. I’d like to go west again but I’m thinking this option sounds cheaper as I am also a cheap sob

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Depending if my wife can go since she is a school teacher, I might be making the trip solo. Kinda sketchy since if I got hurt and could drive home.
When is your wife's spring break? Would you rather go solo?
I understand your thoughts about what to do if you have an accident and are alone, 9 hours from home when it happens. This not a small thing to consider.
You'll want to plan your calendar in order to avoid spending a lot of time on blue cruisers when there are crowds.

Skied-off New England blue cruiser-groomers can be quite off-putting. The snow turns to ice. If there are people gaining on you from behind, on that icy surface, that's taxing.

No matter where you go, you'll want to get the info here on which weekends to avoid because of New England school vacations. The weekend leading up to President's day and the week including it is always CROWDED. Do not go then.
Any weekend at Okemo or Stowe will be crowded. Probably the same at Killington. Okemo may be the worst for weekend crowds.

Try to ski only Sunday-Friday in order to avoid the worst crowds. If you only ski groomers labelled green and blue, and you're hoping for grippable snow, you'll want to plan to be on the snow when the crowds are not there so the snow is not skied-off by 10:00 am. So timing is important.

Also, if you only ski groomers, I'm going to disagree with others about Mad River Glen. The groomers are mostly connectors between bump runs and wooded skiing. There's a side of the mountain with open groomers, but they have not much snowmaking, so that terrain may be flat, thin, icy, and ungroomed. My suggestion is to ski Mad River Glen once you have spent some time in the bumps and have discovered you like them, even when they are icy.

Killington has more variety in its blue groomers than Stowe, IMO.

Sponsor