• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 8hrs to killington or 9.5hrs to stowe

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Whiteface has the long groomers though they might be a bit steepish and icy. Tremblant or Mont Sainte Anne would be ideal, but it's way far from Ohio.

Killington is a good choice and you can bite off a big chunks of altitude , especially if you want to work your way down from the peak to the bottom of Skyship.

FIFY. ;)

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
When I went to Colorado I had a cousin that lives two hrs from all the major resorts so I stayed and ate for free. We skied copper and keystone so I was spoiled going out there. Now I want to somewhat experience that within driving distance. So that’s why I looked into Vermont.
I learned to ski in VT and Killington still feels like a second home to me even though my family hasn't had a place there for almost two decades but if you are expecting the CO experience you may be disappointed.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
You’d better say a prayer to Ullr for snow, then. I’ve never skied out west, but I have heard that the snow is remarkable and very different.

Sharpen the skis, prepare to be confronted with ice. Our ice is more icy than the lovely packed powder that some of those Westerner call “ice.”

But the mountains are all wonderful, and all have a lot to offer. I doubt you can go wrong.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Lots of intermediate terrain at Killington. Stowe's best terrain is the more advanced stuff. You many also consider Sugarbush, two mountains with lots of combined terrain and plenty of intermediate trails. The further north you go the more snow they get.
Stowe has a ton of intermediate terrain.

A strong intermediatE can ski the front four now that they blew it up to make its smooth. The terrain where the Gondi is I would consider not difficult intermediate. It's nice but dull.

Spruce is awesome for any skier who just wants to go. It's easy and pleasant.

I think that you should go to Waitsfield and ski Sugarbush. And ski Mad River too if you are able to fit it in. The place is magical. The single is quick and so cool. I think the lodge is the best because it's old school VT. If you are free to drink a few beers do it on the deck. Great music with true Vermonters and dedicated skiers. It's the heart and soul of skiing in New England (in my opinion). Don't go on the weekend.

I advise, if you take a lesson, take it there - MRG.

And finally, to drive to Vermont from Ohio and then ski Okemo... that would be a shame.

Last edited:

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
They took some of the gnarl out. I googled the date but it appears someone forgot to write it down.

Maybe not Goat, but it is quite different from what it used to be.

Last edited:

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think I'll fly back east and ski some of that lovely hockey rink ice. Said no one ever. :ogbiggrin:

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Are you gonna be in for a surprise. :roflmao:

Pay no attention to the king grumpy, snarky guy.

The mountains you seek will give you a big mountain feel. Conditions are more often challenging. Sometimes great. Consistent not.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
They took some of the gnarl out. I googled the date but it appears someone forgot to write it down.

Maybe not Goat, but it is quite different from what it used to be.

Different? Compared to when? Perhaps “Chamois” was different than Goat and maybe “The International” was different than Starr as we know it now, but if there ever were changes they were long ago.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
My timeline is long. So that may be it. You must see the difference in Goat of old vs now.

James

Out There
Instructor
My timeline is long. So that may be it. You must see the difference in Goat of old vs now.
Like back when they put the double chair in up Liftline?
B34D8D94-B906-4416-96D0-74BB0E221C3D.jpeg

Maybe you just got a lot better over the yrs.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was there in 1967. Goat and Nose Dive had trees as in trees like the Green Mts. It was Thanksgiving and nobody was there. Huge dump and My sister and I were blown away. A teenager we met from the Anderson family set us up for the night and skied with us as well. Great memory.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Speaking of the Von Trapp's, their brewery is awesome.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm pretty sure upper Goat was narrower the first time I was on it.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I'm pretty sure upper Goat was narrower the first time I was on it.

At one point it was in a completely different place! You can still sort of ski it. It's barely wide enough to sideslip.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I thought the Starr / Goat / Nosedive / etc. reconfiguration occurred in the late '60s sometime. They certainly haven't changed in the 25, 30 years I've been going to Stowe.

Regarding the suitability of the Front Four to intermediates... Liftline is routinely skied by intermediate-level skiers; whether or not they enjoy the descent is another matter. The other three... Maybe if you're a glutton for punishment or happen to luck into a sweet conditions day.

Sponsor