• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

A complete noob wants to get into mountain biking

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd rather have a 25lb hardtail for $2k than a 35lb FS for $4k..that's me. YMMV...

You can do a lot better than 35 lbs for $4k in the FS market.

Even in today's market!

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The reality is, you can get a kick-ass hardtail for $2500 that weighs 25lbs. For $3-$4k you get a decent FS that weighs 35lbs. So it's really about budget. I can ride pretty much anything on a hardtail, doesn't mean it's the best tool always. And it's not as easy. But for $2k, I'll suck it up.
Hi there! Can I interest you in a singlespeed? :)

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
@noobski

Here is my two cents after a year into the new hobby:

- Borrow a bike and ride it. There must be someone with a bike collecting dust. After 5-10 rides, you'll know more about what you want such us sizing, components, bike features (e.g. drop post, head tube angle, 1x12 or 1x11 or 2x10, 29” vs 27.5, etc)... You will also get a way better idea of what you want to ride and where. I did not really understand what mountain biking really and did not apreciate the difference between different mnt biking styles.
- Learn fundamentals of the sport. There are many tutorials on youtube. Doing figure 8 on a driveway pays dividents! If you want to learn bunny hops or manual, do it on softer grass. It will still hurt when you wheel out but with less road rash. Ask me how I know.
- Learn about different level of components and decide what is important: entry level components on a fancy brand bike or nice components on a direct to consumer bikes. (or just a bike that you can order now!)
- Now that you know your size and components preference, consider direct to consumer brands. Polygon cough my attention in this article:
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-look-2021-polygon-siskiu-t.html

I got a Polygon Extrad 7 hard tail for SO in the fall, and, finally, got my FS bike (Siskui T8) delivered yesterday. Yes, they are often out of stock and it took a bit of hunting and sweet talking to customer service manager to get my T8 :)
For the road bike I went with a Vitus from chainreactioncycles last summer.

You should be fine with making some assembly, torquing the bolts, etc. or ask a local shop to assemble the bike for you...

As far as HT vs FS: are you speed seeking dare devil? Then get a hard tail first and learn to ride properly without relying on the full suspension to bail you out. If you are smart and deliberate about where and what you ride and know that you will not be taking excessive risk anyway, than get FS, enjoy a smooth ride while you learn without recklessly "sending it".

Welcome to yet another expensive and adrenaline providing hobby!

- most (if not all) of the advice in this thread is spot on. I understand it all better a year later tho :)
great report! Thank you!

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
Will you be riding alone or with someone? If you will be riding with someone I suggest looking at what types of bike they have (hardtail/full suspension, amount of suspension travel etc). If you get a whippet of a XC bike and all your riding buddies are on burly enduro rigs I am pretty sure you will regret it (or the other way around).
If you are comfortable in doing your own maintenance you could look at used bikes or direct to consumer brands. Working on bikes is not hard and pretty much everything is on youtube, but it does take some time, especially for beginners.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Will you be riding alone or with someone? If you will be riding with someone I suggest looking at what types of bike they have (hardtail/full suspension, amount of suspension travel etc). If you get a whippet of a XC bike and all your riding buddies are on burly enduro rigs I am pretty sure you will regret it (or the other way around).
If you are comfortable in doing your own maintenance you could look at used bikes or direct to consumer brands. Working on bikes is not hard and pretty much everything is on youtube, but it does take some time, especially for beginners.
Mostly alone. I have two friends that might ride with me; both have HTs. Another friend had a FS but sold it. If he buys again, he'll get a FS.

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
Mostly alone. I have two friends that might ride with me; both have HTs. Another friend had a FS but sold it. If he buys again, he'll get a FS.
I would suggest a short to medium travel full suspension bike (around 120mm travel at the rear with a bit more up front) with modern geometry (slack head angle, steep seat tube angle and low standover height) these bikes are very versatile.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I would suggest a short to medium travel full suspension bike (around 120mm travel at the rear with a bit more up front) with modern geometry (slack head angle, steep seat tube angle and low standover height) these bikes are very versatile.
Yup, I agree. Best of all worlds for sure.

TS
Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
Why Are Lead Times So Long? Covid19's Impact On The Bike Shop

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Would you be able to point out some specific bikes?
Thank you.

Where do you plan on biking?

Norco is a little under the radar and might be able to build with a faster turnaround. The Revolver bike that i got barely used from a shop for 4,000 is fast. I am not a newbie but am not sure if i deserve it though i do like the full suspension.

You can have plenty of fun on any bike so if you have to pull the trigger on a local used bike just have someone experienced make sure its not beat. I got my kid a $1200 hardtail for $850. Its all he needs foe now. The guy that sold it bikes Vietnam in Milford MA with his friends and got a FS. Better to ride a $1,000 bike for a year or two than not bike at all.

Last edited:

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thank you.

Check the Canyon Neuron or Spectral 29. They are both "trail" bikes. The Neuron leans towards the XC side and the Spectral towards the Enduro side.

Canyon Spectral 29 CF 2021 in review – The perfect do-it-all bike?

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/mountain-bikes/trail-bikes/spectral/spectral-29-cf-7/2835.html
>>They will have it in stock in a couple of weeks.

I mentioned the above bikes as they can be found in stock within a reasonable amount of time. There are plenty others brands that would work, but availability will be an issue.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I'm kind of into BMC right now. Something like this would be nice:
Not that slack quite frankly so a bit more XC oriented.

The Trek Fuel 5 is slacker..more travel..140mm up front.

The Top Fuel 7 is less travel but much like the Fuel 5..120mm travel up front.

Specialized Stumpjumper Alloy..slack and steep seat angle..more modern geo and 140mm travel.

Kona Hei Hei..only 120mm of travel..not so slack..

Canyon Neuron..nice bike..130mm..good in between bike..

I'll throw in one another one of my fave makers and bikes, Rocky Mountain Instinct.. Great looking bike with good kit and probably good exchange rate..

And the goliath..Giant...

So that's a lot of bikes to consider! That's kinda what I'd be looking at if I were you. They're all good bikes and really it's about what you can get your hands on these days. They're all in the 120-130mm front travel range and most are fairly modern geo. You can nitpick through the components..I prefer Shimano but I have SRAM now and it's fine too. Keep an eye on what fork you get dollar for dollar, that can change how the bike will behave. And sometimes, it comes down to colour... ogsmile

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Where do you plan on biking?

Thank you.

I would bike mainly upper midwest. Driftless region, so moderate climbs and decents of 100 - 400 feet and then just long rolling trails.

Check the Canyon Neuron or Spectral 29. They are both "trail" bikes. The Neuron leans towards the XC side and the Spectral towards the Enduro side.

I mentioned the above bikes as they can be found in stock within a reasonable amount of time. There are plenty others brands that would work, but availability will be an issue.

Thank you.

I'm kind of into BMC right now. Something like this would be nice:
Not that slack quite frankly so a bit more XC oriented.

The Trek Fuel 5 is slacker..more travel..140mm up front.

The Top Fuel 7 is less travel but much like the Fuel 5..120mm travel up front.

Specialized Stumpjumper Alloy..slack and steep seat angle..more modern geo and 140mm travel.

Kona Hei Hei..only 120mm of travel..not so slack..

Canyon Neuron..nice bike..130mm..good in between bike..

I'll throw in one another one of my fave makers and bikes, Rocky Mountain Instinct.. Great looking bike with good kit and probably good exchange rate..

And the goliath..Giant...

So that's a lot of bikes to consider! That's kinda what I'd be looking at if I were you. They're all good bikes and really it's about what you can get your hands on these days. They're all in the 120-130mm front travel range and most are fairly modern geo. You can nitpick through the components..I prefer Shimano but I have SRAM now and it's fine too. Keep an eye on what fork you get dollar for dollar, that can change how the bike will behave. And sometimes, it comes down to colour... ogsmile

Wonderful. Thank you so much. this is a great list from all of you!

TS
Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
Thank you.

Model Comparison Chart
Vander T7Vander T7 SESiskiu T7Vander T8Siskiu T8
FrameALX Trail 6061 Aluminum FrameALX Trail 6061 Aluminum FrameALX Trail 6061 Aluminum FrameALX Trail 6061 Aluminum FrameALX Trail 6061 Aluminum Frame
Front/Rear Travel130/130130/130140/135140/130 140/135
ForkRockShox Recon Silver RLRockShox Recon Silver RLRockshox Recon Silver-RL RockShox Recon Gold RLFox 34 Rhythm
ShockRockShox Monarch RRockShox Monarch RRockshox Deluxe Select PlusRockShox Monarch RFox Float DPS
DrivetrainSRAM SX 1x12 EagleSRAM SX 1x12 EagleShimano Deore M6100 1X12 SpeedSRAM NX/SX 1x12 EagleShimano SLX M7100 1X12 Speed
BrakesSRAM Level T, 2-PistonSRAM Level T, 2-PistonTektro HD-M735SRAM Guide RE, 4-PistonTektro HD-M745
SeatpostEntity Sport, RigidKS Rage-I, Dropper postTranz-X JD-YSP23JLKS Rage-I, Dropper postTranz-X JD-YSP23JL
Front/Rear Thru-Axle15x100/12x14215x100/12x14215x110mm/12x148mm15x110 Boost/12x14215x110mm/12x148mm
Price$1699.00$1899.00$1899.00$2399.00

I'm curious what would folks recommend for @noobski and what would @noobski gravitate to from the table above...

geometry and other info is somewhere on this site: https://www.bikesonline.com/2021-polygon-siskiu-t8-dual-suspension-mountain-bi

Sponsor

Staff online