• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

A complete noob wants to get into mountain biking

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hi @Pasha

Thanks for these additional ideas. I am hoping to test ride this week at the local shops. They have two to three of the options listed between you and the others. Namely Trek Top 7, Specialized Stumpjumper, and possibly Giant Trance and Specialized Evo Comp. The websites list them but by experience I have gone in to learn by time I get there they're sold...anyway, will still try.
The brands you listed I don't see locally, but there's a shop I haven't asked yet and will inquire when I visit this weekend.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi @Pasha

Thanks for these additional ideas. I am hoping to test ride this week at the local shops. They have two to three of the options listed between you and the others. Namely Trek Top 7, Specialized Stumpjumper, and possibly Giant Trance and Specialized Evo Comp. The websites list them but by experience I have gone in to learn by time I get there they're sold...anyway, will still try.
The brands you listed I don't see locally, but there's a shop I haven't asked yet and will inquire when I visit this weekend.
That's the best way to find out--ride them! They have a Top Fuel 7 in stock? That's amazing! I just heard from the shop owner that carries Trek last night that the bikes with Shimano XT are 400 days out! I actually ordered my EX 9.8 with SRAM Eagle GX, and it arrived this week--with Shimano XT!! (@Tom K. will appreciate this stroke of luck.) My bike was on order for 6 months.

There is a 2020 Fuel EX 9.8 in a large sitting downstairs at the shop. It was unsold as of recently. If anyone is interested, I can ask if it's been sold yet. The shop swaps to ski equipment in the winter, hence why it's off the sales floor. The higher-end bikes haven't been selling at nearly the pace as the sub-$1000 bikes. The Trek Marlins are selling like wildfire.

Anyway, @noobski, have fun demoing. I think once you get on one of the better spec'd full suspension bikes, you will be HOOKED and start browsing around for more places to ride.

TS
Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
Hi @Pasha

The brands I listed are online only direct sales. Hope you find something that fits in stock.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hi all,

I believe mission accomplished.

I found and bought a Stumpjumper Expert locally.

Thanks to those of you who shared ideas, I had narrowed it down to either buying local (or ordering from a ST member) if I couldn't find a local option. The local options favor Trek, Specialized, Santa Cruz and a few other brands. I spent almost all day today testing and looking over multiple models. Despite limited inventory, however I was still able to ride/review 8-9 different bikes in my size and price range (Trek Fuel 9.8, 9.7, 7, Santa Cruz 5010, and Specialized Stumpjumpers (2 versions)). I did not like the "fit" of the Fuel 9.8, however after trying it compared to the lower level Treks, I also did not want to dial back the components that were offered with the 7's. It was quite clear the difference to me just in my limited riding and comparing them. However to be fair, had I tried the 7's first and not tried the the 9.8 my noob-guess is that I would have been very pleased with that level of the lower bikes as well. No matter, I just wasn't into the Trek fit.

Fortunately I loved the fit of the Santa Cruz 5010 (27.5) and Stumpjumper Expert (29). I went with the Stumpjumper Expert because It truly felt "right" in all the ways I tested it. I rode that bike for probably a half hour running through the adjustments as well. It was also right in the middle of my assumed spend range as well. I was also able to buy it from our favorite ski (and bike) shop. Normally their inventory is cleaned out and so I didn't expect to find something there. Interestingly, the only reason it was even available is because someone else ordered it a long time ago and when it arrived, they changed their mind. This all happened just in the past few days. so certainly fortuitous that I walked in and found it there!

I appreciate everyone's help. A really big investment I've been working on and planning for almost a year now that I felt a lot more confident in making thanks to you!

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Little late to this party, 26, 29 or 27.5, all gave their disadvantages or advantages.

26’s been around forever, extremely nimble in tight tracks, smaller dia, does make for a slightly higher roll resistance. Better acceleration.

29’s was the rage for low roll resistance, but rides discovered it is not nimble as the track is longer and the wheels offer more gyroscopic effects (extra wt). Also harder to get moving for the same reason.

27.5’s came next and it was the compromise between the two. Best of both worlds result.

Full Suspension or Front similar discussion. Whats your application.

Full suspension can absorb a lot of bumps, but has power loss in pedaling, suspension soaks up power in the pedal stroke. Don’t go cheap here, cheaper generally means more power loss. Budget at least double (if not more) of a FS bike

Front suspension, sort of a compromise all the advantages of a hard tail, great power transfer. Down side doesn’t soak up bumps in the tail.

Entry level bikes (low end cost), components are cheap.

Mid range, look for decent components, vast improvement, biggest issue is suspension is ok, in full suspension, it usually sucks.

High end, well you really get what you pay for, but pay you do.

If you are truly newbie, start mid range Front suspension, keeps the budget in line, get a decent bike, ride it for a few years, learn to ride. After that you’ve got a better idea on what you need and ultimately want (more importantly you also understand the why). Personally I ride a 27.5, best of both world not dedicated to either extreme. As a newbie gives you good general riding experience. Would I like a Full Suspension, yes, but done correctly it is at least 6 to 10 time my current bike, for a little extra comfort.

Clipless pedals, I finally got a set, love them, understand how to clip in and out (more importantly out and practice a bit), I have a combo pedal (as shown in a few earlier posts), as I don’t always ride with bike shoes (compromise, but best of both worlds, individual type thing).

Like skiing beginner you you grow quickly, intermediate can last, allow you to grow and if selected correctly not break the budget. Finally high end, while extremely good and expensive can slow your growth because it masks your mistakes or amplifies them.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Okay, using this page to take it to the next level: spent 90% of my time thinking/researching the bike...but what do Noob's need to acquire and know at first and over time?

For example: I bought a shock pump and better pedals and a good helmet, but the rest is out in the noobosphere for me.

And what should we know next?

For example @AmyPJ mentioned to me that crashing is expected...hadn't thought of that...how do we go at riding? avoiding crashes?

Other noob tips?

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
All you need is a tire pump a water bottle holder and some chain lube.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Tire sealant, which needs to be refreshed periodically. A good tire gauge/pump because you'll quickly start learning that tire pressure is really important.

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
While I'm running tubeless, and the probability is low, I still pack a regular tube (with hand pump) and tubeless patch kit in case I get a puncture that the sealant wont fix. Pushing a bike from out in the woods to the trailhead has a high suck factor.

Sponsor

Staff online