• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

A complete noob wants to get into mountain biking

Smear

Getting off the lift
Skier
Some dirt paths - yes. Simple tracks - yes. I doubt I can ride more than 3-5 miles at first before running out of gas. The dream would be to take a chair up and ride a trail down. May be after a season or two of consistent riding and gettting bike legs and bike lungs.
These are two totally different bike, single track and lift access riding. Like skis, get the bike for the riding you will actually be doing verses one for the terrain you hope to do. A good hard tail with a dropper post will be a great bike for the next couple of years for you. Not to sound like a salesperson but what realistically (without extras like helmet, shoes, ect) is the most you can afford?

You sound a bit like me 3 years ago. At that point I had cycled some on fire roads and road but was a complete noob on actual trails.

I went all in and bougth a entry level alu FS with plenty of travel from a "direct to consumer" brand. Payed around 2500$. Don't spend all your availible play money on the bike, there also a lot of other stuff needed.

It's an addictive sports. Skiers seem to be predisposed to get extra hard bitten by the bug. But it can also be a challenging sport depending on the trails and terrain availible. Have broken 6 ribs on two occations, but no permanent damage so far ;-)

Entered my first enduro race last summer. Confirmed that I'm still a noob and ended up in last place in my class. This season I wanted to take it to the next level by getting more practice on the downhill part by using chairlift. Plan was to use the same bike as I use on normal trails. Invested in fullface, protection shirt, hip padding in additon to the knee and elbow protection I normally use. And got a season pass for skiing that can also be used in summer. But then COVID-19 happened and I don't think there will be any downhill mtb or more enduro races for me anytime soon...

As for clipless vs flats. If your plan is to get proficient at technical trail riding I would suggest to start with flats. It gives a bit more confidence, and many coaches say that some skills like jumping and hopping is better learned on flats. Get a pedal with pins and shoe made spesifically for flat pedals.

TS
Pasha

Pasha

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
@cantunamunch yes I have, thank you for asking. Several times on a short 15 min rides around the neighborhood. Had to change front tube before that. Front break (on the right! oh no!) is squeaking. The bike could benefit from a tune up but may have wait till after the pandemic. It’s in ok shape for short rides - just what I need to get in shape.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Hah, your bike is set up Euro-style.

Do you have bike shorts yet? You will want to get some.
MotoGP stylez... I have thumb-brake for backing it in on my MTB... ogwink

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
If it hasn't already been stated: It is very important for a noob to buy from a shop and not online...you'll need the technical AND the community support a good shop provides. It will be your initial conduit into the sport in your region.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Front break (on the right! oh no!)

You might want to change that..

I know of a certain person who shall remain unnamed :ogbiggrin: who wanted his bike to stop as did his motorcycle, i.e. right hand-front brake, changed the brakes and one day tried to do a spectacular slide turn in front of some people-to demonstrate a bit of bicycle-handling prowess, you know, but forgot that he changed the brakes, so hard squeeze with the right hand-spectacular flight over the handlebars-spectacular pain...:ogbiggrin::ogbiggrin:

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ Along similar lines, with Mt. Adams on my shoulder! Yesterday. Not a real mtb ride, but the pitch of these gravel roads means a hardtail is the most suitable tool. Yes, my usual horrid attempt at a force smile.

IMG_3096.jpg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I know of a certain person who shall remain unnamed :ogbiggrin: who wanted his bike to stop as did his motorcycle, i.e. right hand-front brake, changed the brakes and one day tried to do a spectacular slide turn in front of some people-to demonstrate a bit of bicycle-handling prowess, you know, but forgot that he changed the brakes, so hard squeeze with the right hand-spectacular flight over the handlebars-spectacular pain...:ogbiggrin::ogbiggrin:

Right?! The human body and brain are amazing things. At least 4 times a year, I end up riding my mtb and my dirt bike on the same day.

I never give a moment's thought to which hand does what. After six decades, it just kinda takes care of itself.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
After six decades, it just kinda takes care of itself.

That's it. Experience!

Unlike the person mentioned above, who at the very beginning, long ago, tried a couple of times to slide his MTB by pushing down the right pedal. :ogbiggrin: But that's relatively harmless compared to the couple of times when he forgot that a MTB weights around 10 kilos and a street motorcycle-around 220 kg with all the resulting hilarity and embarrassment. :)

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Darn it, I meant that photo above to go into the 2020 mtb thread.

Something to do later today!

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hah, your bike is set up Euro-style.

Noooooo!

The only people who run the front brake on the right are the British. It is called Moto-style, since Motos have it that way.

In fact, the British call the normal set up "euro style"

Europeans (except the British, who have decide they are their own continent now), run their bikes the same as Americans, except for maybe those who ride dirt bikes too.

TS
Pasha

Pasha

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
An update for anyone who cares:

I dug up an old 1980's Univega road bike from the shed; discovered it was ridable but not necessarily in top notch (read: safe) condition. Figured out that I like wrenching, recalled few skills from my youth, learned new ones from youtube. Updated break leavers, cables, chain, and tape after disassembling, cleaning, and lubricating the bike. Got chamois from wall mart (don't judge me: they work and a noob does not need $100 shorts), helmet from Costco, and a couple of jerseys from amazon China brands. Started to increase mileage per ride. The downtube friction shifters became annoying and I was ready for a modern new bike. Had to learned about bike fit and components. Got me a descent Vitus from chain reaction - all the local shops were sold out by then. Tried to sell the old bike. Dude came in to do a test ride and promptly sent the rear derailleur into the spokes bending the frame in the process. Jackass. So the new bike rocks, the old bike is back in the shed waiting from me figure our derailed hanger thread saver and a new derailleur.

On the mountain bike front, I got to borrow a 2010 Stompjumper. Took it to local trails around town. First time was sketchy but not awful. Did not die. Went to youtube for instructions on basics and fundamentals. Practiced track stand, manual and bunny hops in the drive way. Fell on my ass twice trying the manual, learned to cover the rear break but now lost confidence to try manual for real again :) Consequent rides got better and better. I had two goals: ride trails near the river (bosque) when leaves change colors and to ride down the ski area near by. Did both multiple time. Shuttled the ski area with co-worker twice. Second time was harder due to Dunning-Kruger effect. The trails with in 30 min bike ride from me are plenty fun with a mix of one i can do and the ones that are pretty technical for me (rocks mostly) so I have room to learn.

As a bonus, I (re)introduced the wife to cycling on a borrowed hybrid. She is enjoying wide flat trails and feels really sketchy on anything that even resembles single track. Ordered her a proper hardtail with real tires - should arrive in December tho.

I'll need to return the Stompjumper sooner or later but it works until bikes I want (entry level full suspension trail bike with reasonable components) will get back in stock.

TLDR: this noob has put 600 miles since April on both road (450 miles) and mountain (150 miles) bikes. Thank you for advice: it was and is very useful. It has been really cool to re-read the advice in this thread as I gained a little bit of experience. My original intent (ride around neighborhood, gain fitness) was a very low bar that I blew through pretty quickly. Riding bikes a) makes me feel like a kid and b) is a great anti-depressant.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Nicely done, especially on bunny hop and manuals. Have you done any session work on turns yet?

Talking of downtube shifting, half-step is a bit different, and that might be part of the issue on an 80s Univega. Most new cyclists don't really take to a pattern where every other shift is with both levers.

Sponsor

Staff online