• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

A huge dump day ... or how I learned to love my Giro Tor and MIPS Spherical Helmet

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A-Huge-Dump-Day-Giro-Mips-Spherical-Pugliese-SkiTalk-version2.jpg
This thread is for the general discussion of the Article A huge dump day ... or how I learned to love my Giro Tor and MIPS Spherical. Please add to the discussion here.

Last edited:

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Time to replace it. Helmets are one and done.

I hit pretty hard hard in the same spot (forehead) in my Smith “mips” a few days ago after a double ejection. No visible damage but I’m shopping for a new one today.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
@Philpug - It’s Nice to see MIPS doing exactly what it was supposed to. Glad to hear you are ok. I think there’s a bunch of us getting new lids this year.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great write up and glad you were able to do so. In another thread about bar down I mentioned I had to replace a helmet due to repeated hits in the back from people not giving the customary bar down warning. I am 6’7” and need to contort when the bar is going down or up. The final straw for the hat happened at Solitude on the lift that takes you to the top next to the gates to Honeycomb. At one point the lift goes back down before rising to the summit. A women and her son were riding with me and when we began the drop she without warning quickly pulled the bar down in a panic. It dented the back of my helmet. If I was not wearing one, I think it would have ko’d me and sent me off the chair into the rocks 100 feet or so below. Cheap insurance indeed.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
About the chair safety bar...I've skied in Europe where the bar must be lowered very soon and raised as late as possible. I'm tall, and I got into the habit that as soon as I sit on the chair I put a hand on the bar. I settle myself then let the bar be brought down in a controlled manner. It might take a second or two longer, but no more than that, and no one gets hit.