• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

A Journey Back...

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Over the last 2 years of law school and bar study my physical well-being took a back seat which has also affected my mental well-being. It was so bad that my ski days last year were short and reserved to nearly all groomers because I just didn't trust my strength to avoid injury in most of my beloved terrain. Honestly, I nearly cried every ski day because it was just so disappointing. It also created a toxic blame cycle in my own head that has served as a barrier to doing anything.

Now that I've passed the bar exam, I have time to devote to the journey back to wellness. Many of you have seen me cycle through levels of fitness so I completely understand if you're rolling your eyes and thinking "here we go again..." because in all honesty, I am doing the same even through I know that I had plenty of reason for getting to this point. I need to get my physical strength and cardio fitness back and lose weight. I'm focusing first on the fitness and strength just because I'm overwhelmed with trying to do it all at once and the strength/cardio work will make for a better/safer ski season. I also know that as I start exercising more I naturally chose better eating habits.

To start off I am getting back on the bike. Both outside on the mountain bike (although keeping to gravel paths for the most part while I work back in) and the Peloton. I started hiking right after the bar exam to get ready for my trip to Chamonix and will continue that as well. I recognized that I just couldn't get the strength back with just these but I wanted to add something with less impact on my joints that plyometrics (saving the impact stuff for skiing) so I'm adding in reformer pilates and am really enjoying it. The studio I'm going to does a 30 minute intro class for free then requires 3 private lessons to help me learn proper technique, form, and how to use the machine before you can start doing group lessons. Let me tell you, the work on the core, especially that deep lower core is intense and effective. We are also working on leg, back, and arm strength. I've also always loved the way a good stretch feels and part of pilates involves nice deep stretches so that feels amazing.

Anyhow, I thought I'd start a thread to help keep me accountable as I get back to the physical body that I'm comfortable with and that allows me to do all the things I want to do.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Over the last 2 years of law school and bar study my physical well-being took a back seat which has also affected my mental well-being. It was so bad that my ski days last year were short and reserved to nearly all groomers because I just didn't trust my strength to avoid injury in most of my beloved terrain. Honestly, I nearly cried every ski day because it was just so disappointing. It also created a toxic blame cycle in my own head that has served as a barrier to doing anything.

Now that I've passed the bar exam, I have time to devote to the journey back to wellness. Many of you have seen me cycle through levels of fitness so I completely understand if you're rolling your eyes and thinking "here we go again..." because in all honesty, I am doing the same even through I know that I had plenty of reason for getting to this point. I need to get my physical strength and cardio fitness back and lose weight. I'm focusing first on the fitness and strength just because I'm overwhelmed with trying to do it all at once and the strength/cardio work will make for a better/safer ski season. I also know that as I start exercising more I naturally chose better eating habits.

To start off I am getting back on the bike. Both outside on the mountain bike (although keeping to gravel paths for the most part while I work back in) and the Peloton. I started hiking right after the bar exam to get ready for my trip to Chamonix and will continue that as well. I recognized that I just couldn't get the strength back with just these but I wanted to add something with less impact on my joints that plyometrics (saving the impact stuff for skiing) so I'm adding in reformer pilates and am really enjoying it. The studio I'm going to does a 30 minute intro class for free then requires 3 private lessons to help me learn proper technique, form, and how to use the machine before you can start doing group lessons. Let me tell you, the work on the core, especially that deep lower core is intense and effective. We are also working on leg, back, and arm strength. I've also always loved the way a good stretch feels and part of pilates involves nice deep stretches so that feels amazing.

Anyhow, I thought I'd start a thread to help keep me accountable as I get back to the physical body that I'm comfortable with and that allows me to do all the things I want to do.
I wish you luck. It sounds like you are on the right path....a plan to make your mind and body healthy is the always a good first step. Good luck, have a great winter!

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
:golfclap:
Cheering you on from the sidelines. Slow and steady wins the race!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Sounds like you're already back on the horse. Nice going!

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Congrats on passing the bar exam!!!!

Good luck with the journey! Your comments about your mental state during and after ski days strikes close to home, but that's a story for another thread.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How can we help?

You know, I’m not sure right now. I just know that when I put things out publicly I do better at sticking with it. When I think of more I’ll post.

Don't forget the nutrition side... and onwards!

I will get there but as I said, I know that if I try to focus on too much as I get started I’ll fail at it all. Eventually I will get back to nutrition in detail.

Congrats on passing the bar exam!!!!

Good luck with the journey! Your comments about your mental state during and after ski days strikes close to home, but that's a story for another thread.

Thank you and I’m sorry you’re struggling too. Feel free to use this thread to get support if you’d like!

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thank you and I’m sorry you’re struggling too. Feel free to use this thread to get support if you’d like!

Thanks for the offer. Maybe in the future but for now I'll say I can completely understand how you felt about how your physical well-being impacted your skiing and the resulting mental toll.

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
so I'm adding in reformer pilates and am really enjoying it.
FWIW, I added reformer pilates to my exercise routine May 2021, and the 21-22 season was my best ski season ever. And I'm pretty old!! Previous 5 years, I was doing cardio, yoga, Zumba, a little weight training all for the sake of skiing strength and safety, but it seems the reformer pilates put me in a new place. I'm not sure exactly why, but I felt more competent and confident, and went into terrain I would never have ventured in my past. And bonus! I've (re)gained a little height, which gives the impression of weight loss, ha ha! Keep up the reformer, and I bet you'll enjoy your beloved terrain this winter. And big congrats on passing the Bar Counselor!

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Congrats on your achievement and best of luck to you.

When I turned 40, I decided to learn a new sport. Something I had never done or even contemplated before. High impact, challenging and addictive. It helped my skiing a lot.

You can find a way back.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What's this 'sidelines' business? Do we need to motivate you too? ;)
This is her thread , not mine. Though I could update the "in the gym" thread.

Congrats on your achievement and best of luck to you.

When I turned 40, I decided to learn a new sport. Something I had never done or even contemplated before. High impact, challenging and addictive. It helped my skiing a lot.

You can find a way back.
Which sport?

@coskigirl are you planning on a ride this weekend?

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Which sport?
Mule deer/Elk hunting. Lots of hiking and scrambling off trail in the mountains with a decent sized pack, for like a week or so. Mixed with long quiet periods sitting waiting watching. Very chill. It's like backpacking with a purpose. And that's preceded by like half the summer scouting, hiking learning the area and getting ready.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Which sport?

@coskigirl are you planning on a ride this weekend?

I’m headed to Vail Friday morning so Pilates tomorrow then hiking Friday and Saturday. Expecting frozen mix and snow Sunday to Tuesday so not sure what I’ll do those days other than walk the dog. Maybe I’ll do some gentle squats and some Peloton app yoga.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
IIRC, you suffered a concussion while you were in law school. And you adapted and committed and applied yourself and succeeded. That was a huge victory. Congratulations!

The skills and personal qualities that supported you in your career goals will support you in these personal goals. You should have a lot of confidence as you start this journey. Good Luck!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

In case it wasn't obvious, I was rather speaking to OP's writing here:

"here we go again..." because in all honesty, I am doing the same even

And intimating that we're all participants on that road, just in different packs (grupettos?), and not spectators.

Sponsor

Staff online