• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

A Journey Back...

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Hit me up if you come to Durango. A friend of mine is a PT and certified strength and conditioning coach. We can then set you up at the Durango Performance Center for performance metabolic testing.

I find that with granular data on what I should be doing I am more likely to follow training protocols. Without granular data you are just guessing.

Also ring Todd Carver at Retul. He will have a lead on a lab that can do performance metabolic testing in the Front Range.

Best to you. I just went through the same, but due to injury.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My recommendation would be to do cute work at home, lots if YouTube videos, and leg presses, 3 stress of 12 in a gym.

And biking.

This would take minimal time and you will get great results within a few weeks.

Nice thing about the leg press if that it takes maybe 19 minutes total so it's easy to motivate and not boring.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Congrats on passing the BE! Preparing for the exam is an all hands on deck exercise. It’s understandable it would overtake other priorities. But if you’re going to practice, you’ll have a lot of demands on your time, and stress, so now is a great time to do what you’re doing.

As far as what or how, there are endless good options. As someone who was in your situation and now near the end of my career road, this is what I would have wanted someone to tell me: The most important thing is to do something you know you can sustain for decades. That’s both what and when. It needs to be like showering or getting dressed. Good luck!

Michael R.

skiNEwhere
Skier
Thanks for sharing and good on you trying to get back into a rhythm. I suffered a serious injury in 2020 and have been dealing with all the physical and mental health symptoms that come along with it. I know it can be really hard to get outside somedays. Part of the struggle can be the balance of trying to push yourself while also being forced to accept where you're at.

Feel free to reach out if you're ever in UT and wanna ski some mellow runs.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for checking in @TheArchitect. I've been doing pretty well with pilates until last week when I had to go be the caregiver for my mom for a week in an extended stay hotel. (That sounds like it was bad and while it was unplanned and there was drama I am glad I got to spend the time with her.) Planning to get back to class tomorrow or over the weekend. I'm really enjoying it as a workout and a place.

Just found out my dad is coming to ski in January so that is going to light a fire under me a bit to get on the Peloton as well. I need more fitness.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for checking in @TheArchitect. I've been doing pretty well with pilates until last week when I had to go be the caregiver for my mom for a week in an extended stay hotel. (That sounds like it was bad and while it was unplanned and there was drama I am glad I got to spend the time with her.) Planning to get back to class tomorrow or over the weekend. I'm really enjoying it as a workout and a place.

Just found out my dad is coming to ski in January so that is going to light a fire under me a bit to get on the Peloton as well. I need more fitness.
Keep it up! I'm intrigued by the reformer pilates since I am pretty good cardio-wise thanks to MTB. This aging crap is for the birds--I have a strain somewhere in my hip stabilizers that happened yesterday after skiing powder. It didn't happen while skiing. My core is not what it used to be since I quit riding horses. So, tell me more about the pilates stuff!

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Keep it up! I'm intrigued by the reformer pilates since I am pretty good cardio-wise thanks to MTB. This aging crap is for the birds--I have a strain somewhere in my hip stabilizers that happened yesterday after skiing powder. It didn't happen while skiing. My core is not what it used to be since I quit riding horses. So, tell me more about the pilates stuff!

The pilates workouts are all about engaging the core to stabilize while doing various movements. Some work strength in other areas too but there are many that really focus on core strength. The machine uses springs to add resistance although some exercises are harder with less resistance because of the need to use muscles to stabilize the sled (the moving platform) part of the machine. There are an unending number of different exercises so I've yet to be to class where I didn't have something new introduced. I'm already noticing a difference in my core engagement and have noticed the lack of it since I haven't been in over a week.

Here's a decent video that shows a few moves.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

You're welcome! You have my sympathy about your mom and the caregiver situation. My wife is currently going through this with her mom. She's living down in CT with her until January and coming home for a couple days a week to see me. It's been hard on her and I'm sure not easy for you as well. Lots of drama here, too.

I think I'm hitting my first plateau since starting keto in mid-August. I'm trying to stay positive and push through it but it's hard. You keep with the Peloton and I'll keep watching those carbs!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The pilates workouts are all about engaging the core to stabilize while doing various movements. Some work strength in other areas too but there are many that really focus on core strength. The machine uses springs to add resistance although some exercises are harder with less resistance because of the need to use muscles to stabilize the sled (the moving platform) part of the machine. There are an unending number of different exercises so I've yet to be to class where I didn't have something new introduced. I'm already noticing a difference in my core engagement and have noticed the lack of it since I haven't been in over a week.

This is so up my ally--I hate lifting weights. I just priced classes here :geek: I'll have to find another way.
I'll be curious to hear how your skiing feels after you've been at this for awhile.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is so up my ally--I hate lifting weights. I just priced classes here :geek: I'll have to find another way.
I'll be curious to hear how your skiing feels after you've been at this for awhile.

Yeah, they're not cheap. There is mat pilates and you can find videos of that online which might get you started.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Missed this the first time around. Congratulations on passing the Bar. Pilates is awesome!

At the risk of jinxing myself I'll tell you my good news story with pilates. I grew up on farms and doing all the physical activities that are required with farm work. When I went off the college and then subsequently started my career in engineering (desk job), I went from being very physically fit to, well not so much. By this time I was a weekend warrior and young (late twenties), thick-headed and invincible. My core was a soft dough-boy mess, and my back would "go out" sometimes at the slightest provocation. Most of the time I could still function and work around my house and play in the mountains, but when my back went out it was bad. I'd be walking crooked and in pain or laid up in bed for several days. This went on for many years. I had gone to chiropractors with mild success at temporarily relieving symptoms. I just delt with it thinking it was my cross to bear, and that it was some old farm injury coming home to roost. Well, it got worse and the frequency of "back-going-out" happened more often. Just skating off the ski lift could make it go, and then my ski day was over before it started.

My wife, whom I was dating at the time, mentioned palates to me and suggested we take a class together. At that time, 90s, pilates was targeted to women, and like yoga, used to slim down and stay in shape after childbirth. But my back was killing me, and I did a little research and pilates was indicated to strengthen the core which helps to prevent back strain. I somewhat skeptically went to pilates class. There were no machines, just floor work in this class.

Long story short - It worked wonders on my back. And I enjoyed getting my core back in shape, it just made everything else in life easier. I also took up yoga, and I haven't had any of those back issues since. Now the jinx part is, I'm not as religious about doing either as I used to be and as I should be, so just mentioning I've had no back problems since will surely hex me :ogbiggrin:

I took a pilates class in Johannesburg South Africa once that used the machines. Both methods seem to work.

Good luck, and thanks for posting this thread; it's reminded me to get back on the horse before the back goes out again

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Enjoy the ride back up the curve of fitness and fun!

For me, the world is always a better place after a good bike ride or day on the slopes.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's what I'm thinking of doing.

I have no experience with this product but it looks like an interesting way to get some reformer benefits.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I have no experience with this product but it looks like an interesting way to get some reformer benefits.

LOL - industrial steel railings like that are Archimedes-worthy anchor points. Multiple lock points, not against a wall, variable height...

I guess what I'm saying is that, if my living space had anchor points like that, they'd be in daily strap-based strength training use.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
LOL - industrial steel railings like that are Archimedes-worthy anchor points. Multiple lock points, not against a wall, variable height...

I guess what I'm saying is that, if my living space had anchor points like that, they'd be in daily strap-based strength training use.
Yeah, that's the first thing I noticed... and the lack thereof in my own house. Which explains the lack of any TRX style or strap based strength use.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Yeah, that's the first thing I noticed... and the lack thereof in my own house. Which explains the lack of any TRX style or strap based strength use.

I built an oak ladder - with 2 inch rungs and 6 inch spacing - to mount edge on to some outside corner framing.

Cherry finish, urethane... and then the gyms reopened :D :D

Sponsor

Staff online