• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

A medium is not a medium

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
What are your thoughts on that?

Seated or standing?

Standing it's up there with stem height, it will change both the arm angle at the shoulder and the ride height feel;
Sitting it will change the saddle feel to where you're going to change either the tilt or the front/back position.

IME, YMMV, all that.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Seated or standing?

Standing it's up there with stem height, it will change both the arm angle at the shoulder and the ride height feel;
Sitting it will change the saddle feel to where you're going to change either the tilt or the front/back position.

IME, YMMV, all that.
I have shorter crank arms on their way to me now. Going from 175mm to 170mm. Wanted 165 but good luck finding those. I'll report back.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Did you autopsy the geo after the fact and figure out where it went wrong?

I think e-bikes are going to be a fourth category of fit - just because people are not used to thinking about steering and control at e-bike descent speeds.

#learningopportunity
#populatetheSSwithboundarycases
Actually I think the two areas that resonate with me the most are Standover and Top Tube Horizontal.
The bike that I just demo'd and like for size has a little longer wheelbase, which may be a concern when I get out and really ride it, but it felt more secure in the two areas I mentioned above.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Putting the stem at its highest also makes the bike feel smaller. But I pretty much always cut my bars down from 780 to 750.
Mine are 780.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
FIFY. 750 now. I did the ole tried and true...measure twice and cut once. I took 30mm off of one side. Much less work than 15mm off of both sides. ;)
Brilliant! Why didn’t I think of that!! :roflmao:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Inseam is just a bit longer than 30”.
I know you've mentioned crank length before. Which do you prefer? Just curious on people's views on crank length. I know you're a good climber, curious how they affect you. I've ridden everything from 165 to 180..curious how others view different lengths in proportion to their inseam.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I know you've mentioned crank length before. Which do you prefer? Just curious on people's views on crank length. I know you're a good climber, curious how they affect you. I've ridden everything from 165 to 180..curious how others view different lengths in proportion to their inseam.
Now that you mention it, I prefer shorter. I recall when I had shorter cranks two ?? years ago, the bike felt more maneuverable and I was better balanced when up out of the saddle.

I wish I could find some 165s.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
With Phil's cutting technique I have this image of a spider missing 2 legs..on the same side...going in circles!
You know what they say, two wrongs don't make a right but three lefts do.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Now that you mention it, I prefer shorter. I recall when I had shorter cranks two ?? years ago, the bike felt more maneuverable and I was better balanced when up out of the saddle.

I wish I could find some 165s.
In all seriousness, Phil has nagged me to raise my seat post over the past few years while I feel more comfortable with it a little lower.
It could be the overall lower feel (see my earlier mention of stand height), or it could be the crank length.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
In all seriousness, Phil has nagged me to raise my seat post over the past few years while I feel more comfortable with it a little lower.
It could be the overall lower feel (see my earlier mention of stand height, or it could be the crank length.
How long are the crank arms? Most bikes come stock with 175 which is ridiculous for women. Think about when you are out of the saddle in the ready position, if your feet are spread farther apart, they will feel not as "under you". I had other observations from when I had shorter cranks but can't remember some of the other things that I really liked, other than fewer pedal strikes. I have a pair of 170s that should arrive today. Won't get on them for a few days as the weather has gone back to winter. Saddle height and saddle fore/aft can be tweaked, too. Obviously, moving it forward will make the cockpit seem shorter.

I'd ultimately like to be on a165 crank, but they are non-existent right now. I'm not sure why, but the 175 Shimano feels longer than a 175 SRAM.