• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

A Peak Into Reservation System/VR SNAFUS

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The comments tell the story.
I don’t envy resort management trying to navigate these uncharted, wild seas. I almost think that limiting to half days is a viable option, except how do you effectively enforce that? Cap capacity? What a mess..
(Go to their FB page then look under “posts” for the one that says “we are excited to welcome you back...”

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
The comments tell the story.
I don’t envy resort management trying to navigate these uncharted, wild seas. I almost think that limiting to half days is a viable option, except how do you effectively enforce that? Cap capacity? What a mess..
(Go to their FB page then look under “posts” for the one that says “we are excited to welcome you back...”

Yeah, most places are not equipped to control and enforce these new rules.

I still think that most ski areas should not attempt to control ski access but control lodging, f&B services and ALL other indoor activities. You can control ski passes all you want but it only takes one idiot in a bar or restaurant to kick off a spread. It really does not take much. Indoor and without a mask is what you want to avoid at all costs. Everything else they are doing is more for the perception of safety rather than based on scientific reality. But I guess in this day and age that has economic value.

They dont have to go nuts on the cleaning either just basic hygiene that should be the standard anyway but more so now.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Last edited:

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Reading some of those comments it seems that many people didn't read any of VR's correspondence of how their pass product changed due to COVID. They bought their formerly unrestricted/unlimited pass and are suddenly freaking out over rules that have been in place and publicized for quite a while.

Methinks people are just lashing out because social media provides an outlet.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I almost think that limiting to half days is a viable option, except how do you effectively enforce that? Cap capacity? What a mess..

If Park City and other VR properties use proper RFID "touchless" access, they can put a time window on a pass - so a half-day pass is entirely workable, so long as the tech is in place.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
The comments are GOLD. :ogbiggrin:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Reading some of those comments it seems that many people didn't read any of VR's correspondence of how their pass product changed due to COVID. They bought their formerly unrestricted/unlimited pass and are suddenly freaking out over rules that have been in place and publicized for quite a while.

then theres 1 layer deeper into the circle of hell of the people who dont even facebook, and are just going to show up expecting the world will revolve around them, and even more clueless to even the facebook comment posters.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, most places are not equipped to control and enforce these new rules.

I still think that most ski areas should not attempt to control ski access but control lodging, f&B services and ALL other indoor activities. You can control ski passes all you want but it only takes one idiot in a bar or restaurant to kick off a spread. It really does not take much. Indoor and without a mask is what you want to avoid at all costs. Everything else they are doing is more for the perception of safety rather than based on scientific reality. But I guess in this day and age that has economic value.

They dont have to go nuts on the cleaning either just basic hygiene that should be the standard anyway but more so now.

View attachment 115223
There’s a part of me that agrees with you-open up the lifts and bathrooms, close the rest, and let people choose (a lot might skip a trip if they can’t dine and shop.) But we all know dining and drinking is a big money maker for the resorts. That being said, it could also end up being why everything shuts down.
Also, trams and gondolas...
Limiting capacity WITHOUT reservations will just create a HUGE morning rush. Half days would help, but you’d have to be able to get people off the hill AND out of the parking lots by about 12:30. Nearly impossible, especially at mountains where the roads are closed or nearly impassable during a storm.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Just wait until the precious little darlings get to their 'off resort' trailhead and discover it's busier than Great Falls on a sunny weekend.

Pretty much anyone who hasn't spent the entire summer finding where to get away from crowds, won't get away from crowds this winter.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Just wait until the precious little darlings get to their 'off resort' trailhead and discover it's busier than Great Falls on a sunny weekend.

Pretty much anyone who hasn't spent the entire summer finding where to get away from crowds, won't get away from crowds this winter.
My experience has been that the places/trails I used to go to avoid the crowds were crowded. Not to mention, avoiding crowds in lift lines at busy resorts is impossible. Especially on a mountain with essentially 7 lifts and 3000 acres.

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If Park City and other VR properties use proper RFID "touchless" access, they can put a time window on a pass - so a half-day pass is entirely workable, so long as the tech is in place.
As someone who has to drive 8+ hours (round trip) for a weekend of skiing, this would be terrible. I'm hapoy to skip weekends, but driving 450+ miles just to ski 4 hours (for a day trip) or 8 hours (with all the additional risks that an overnight stay brings this season) isn't a workable solution.

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
then theres 1 layer deeper into the circle of hell of the people who dont even facebook, and are just going to show up expecting the world will revolve around them, and even more clueless to even the facebook comment posters.
I don't Facebook.

Edit: But now that I'm on my computer, I can see a handful comments.

I will say, the person complaining that they're working and can't access the reservation system at 2 PM MST has a fair point. I'd really like to see Vail move to a system where people register interest several days in advance and then just confirm via email, but I do have to give Vail credit for at least coming up with a system that's pretty stable and reasonably fair given the timeframe. The biggest issue I see currently is that the "waiting room" system is a little too easy to game (if you're on a computer at the right time), since you're given a place in line before logging in.

I have very little sympathy for the one person I see complaining that they could only book 7 days over a 10-day period. I think even that ratio is going to be rather optimistic this season.

Last edited:

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
Some of the responses are priceless. I found the reservation system very easy to work with and have called and reached a person as well. I know Im not the sharpest tack in the drawer, so it concerns me that these people are having the issues they are and are on the hill or driving when I am.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier

I said this months ago, that there would be families showing up to ski at the beginning of the season with no clue about any of this and freaking out at the non-existent ticket windows.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
As someone who has to drive 8+ hours (round trip) for a weekend of skiing, this would be terrible. I'm hapoy to skip weekends, but driving 450+ miles just to ski 4 hours (for a day trip) or 8 hours (with all the additional risks that an overnight stay brings this season) isn't a workable solution.
Everything about this year has been terrible, let’s be honest. I’ll be driving about 4 hours to ski a few times this season (provided the season continues) and have tempered my expectations. If I was limited to half a day, I’d make the best of it, go rent a fat bike, go snowshoeing, something. I’m already doing a ton of meal planning to avoid dining out (which I refuse to do, except takeout.)

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My brother who is a knowledgeable guy but more casual skier sends me links to articles and asking me hey whats this insurance and defer thing, or is stuff going to shutdown, but like a week after that topic has been beaten to death here on skitalk. So people here are on the ball here for ski info and discussing it at the bleeding edge

I look inward though, don't get so high on our horses, skiing is discussed here but that's our lane. The epidemiologist and medical folks would probably look down at some of the pandemic related posts as equally as completely clueless just as we are treating those facebook comments.

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't Facebook.
You don't Facebook because you got there and kept going on past it due to a well developed sense of civilized behavior, not because you don't know how to source information. Ray is taking about the same people Jersey Skier is, I think. Just never asked the question at all, never mind querying the interwebs.

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just a note for anyone reading this thread who isn't happy with the reservation system. Since "core season" days are already getting booked up at some resorts, I believe Vail's terms this year do entitle you to a refund, as long as you haven't reserved all 7 priority days, haven't used the pass, and request it before December 7.

Epic Coverage Terms and Conditions (See section D, paragraph 3.)

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I said this months ago, that there would be families showing up to ski at the beginning of the season with no clue about any of this and freaking out at the non-existent ticket windows.
I got a little foreshadowing of that last December. Every first weekend in December Appalachain has $5 day tickets for their anniversary celebration. Last December I walk up to the ticket window like I've done the past 10 plus years and they charge me $60 :geek: I tell them I wanted the anniversary special ticket. The tell me that's online only this year. I say, OK nevermind and pulled out my phone to buy it online and picked it up at the online pick up window..

Sponsor

Staff online