• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

A Peak Into Reservation System/VR SNAFUS

Rich McP

H20nSnow Elsewhere
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is the first time I saw it enforced. I think it's because the group was stopped in a group with masks off in the middle of the run. They started riding again and the gold jacket chased them down to tell the whole group to put masks on.

It's really not a issue having a mask on. I have always worn a good that covers my face on cold days, now I just get to wear it every day I ski.
Actual skiing with no mask is OK for GP. Lift maze, entire lift ride, all members of a lesson for the whole lesson, wandering around lodges, all of that sort of thing is where they are required.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Maybe I'm missing something totally obvious, but where can I see my reservations? IF I log onto Epic and click the tab for Reservations, then Reservation Details it just sends to the front page saying that you can now make reservations.

If I try to add another day, it says I have reached my 7 days.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe I'm missing something totally obvious, but where can I see my reservations? IF I log onto Epic and click the tab for Reservations, then Reservation Details it just sends to the front page saying that you can now make reservations.

If I try to add another day, it says I have reached my 7 days.

It‘s not that easy to find. After you log in, hover over where it says “Hi (your name)“ and click on My Epic Account. Then click on “Season Passes” all the way to the right in the middle of the screen. Scroll down a little and click on “Reservations.” From there you can see your current reservation. You can cancel reservations from that page as well.

Jersey Skier

Skier
It‘s not that easy to find. After you log in, hover over where it says “Hi (your name)“ and click on My Epic Account. Then click on “Season Passes” all the way to the right in the middle of the screen. Scroll down a little and click on “Reservations.” From there you can see your current reservation. You can cancel reservations from that page as well.
Thanks. It's like they are trying to keep it a secret.

Errand Wolfe

Ski like Stein
Skier
Did things go better today? I'm curious to know how big the queue numbers were. I think I saw some over 50,000 earlier in this thread but that might have been a first draw anomaly. This all reminds me of trying to get Phish tickets back in the day.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
People maybe gaming the system and getting lobby tokens with every device and browser they own, then after the random draw happens, really only reserving with their lowest number.

hespeler

Putting on skis
Skier
So what’s the deal with the Dec 7th deadline? It’s only to request a refund if you can’t get a priority reservation day?

I think I read earlier in the thread that Vail would consider State to State quarantine rules as an impetus for a refund. How does one make that request, or is that not definitely covered yet?

Looks like the stay at home order clause is an order imposed by your home state and also has to be for at least 7 days of the core season so that request can’t even be made at this point.

Jeez, what a mess. I’d kind of like to get a refund at this point as quarantine rules aren’t likely to be lifted anytime soon and except for one mountain on the pass, I have to do overnight travel to ski.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
People maybe gaming the system and getting lobby tokens with every device and browser they own, then after the random draw happens, really only reserving with their lowest number.
Not sure if that’s really gaming the system since I haven’t seen anything on any VR website where is states or even suggested that one one device log in per household. It’s just trying to improve the odds within the confines of the system.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
I thought it was fine. Got in waiting room at 1:05 Wed; was about #50,000 in the queue which took 40-45 mins to work thru to me. Made reservation at Vail for Sat (tomorrow); but will have to cancel.
Will ski Vail today on a reservation I made earlier.

Did things go better today? I'm curious to know how big the queue numbers were. I think I saw some over 50,000 earlier in this thread but that might have been a first draw anomaly. This all reminds me of trying to get Phish tickets back in the day.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
At this point I gotta say, I don’t think this hassle is worth the effort for skiing. I’m out.
It’s a season for desert mountain biking.

Jersey Skier

Skier
Anybody have to pick their pass at the mountain? My first day is supposed to be Wednesday and I still haven't received my pass.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
PSA, for epicpass holders if you were on the fence, today is your last day to pull the ripcord for refund using the reservation non-availability provision.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
PSA, for epicpass holders if you were on the fence, today is your last day to pull the ripcord for refund using the reservation non-availability provision.

I would pull the ripcord if it were me and I live in Colorado. I would not make travel plans to go skiing this year. It is not worth it. Skiing locally? It is doable but even that is a hassle. Paying for a trip to go to a ski town? that has all the restaurants and bars closed so basically you will be confined to a room or condo is just not worth it. Nights are very long this time of year and its very cold in the Mtns.

If you have money then you can rent a house and book an entire snowcat for your family/group.

TDCSPRINGS

Getting off the lift
Skier
I would pull the ripcord if it were me and I live in Colorado. I would not make travel plans to go skiing this year. It is not worth it. Skiing locally? It is doable but even that is a hassle. Paying for a trip to go to a ski town? that has all the restaurants and bars closed so basically you will be confined to a room or condo is just not worth it. Nights are very long this time of year and its very cold in the Mtns.

If you have money then you can rent a house and book an entire snowcat for your family/group.
I have to say I agree with this. I would not travel for this as it could all get shut down any moment. Living local we can manage, but it is a mess for us too. Unless you just have lots of cash to blow, I would probably skip this season or maybe wait until March/April when a vaccine might be making life somewhat normal.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have to say I agree with this. I would not travel for this as it could all get shut down any moment. Living local we can manage, but it is a mess for us too. Unless you just have lots of cash to blow, I would probably skip this season or maybe wait until March/April when a vaccine might be making life somewhat normal.

Sadly I agree with this assessment. As I've said upthread on another thread the only reason I may ski this season is because it's my means of income. I love this sport dearly, but the risks and hassle this season are just too much. I can live without my favorite sport for a season.

And I think your vaccine timeline is extremely optimistic. For the majority of U.S. citizens (especially those in good health and outside of priority groups) availability likely won't be until next summer at the earliest. I hope to be wrong on this, but the vaccines can only be manufactured so fast and there is global demand. There will be a wait.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
Not sure where to post this, but I guess this thread makes the most sense.

Mt Bachelor OR opened on the 7th with early season ~36" base and maybe half the lifts operating. Reservation system seems to be working. Some people are happy with it, others not - so it sounds like it's working.

Local news reports seemed to paint a positive picture with news video showing folks wearing masks & lifts not being crowded. But this doesn't exactly square with some personal reports I've heard: that it's been about as crowded as a typical weekend. I guess that's not surprising for the season opening week.

However...

The resort's webcams were re-configured the day before opening day so that all the cams that gave views of lifts, base areas & main parking lot are (currently) no longer available on the site. So there's really no way to get a clue how it's going up there without, uh, actually going up there. I'm not sure what to make of this. Trying to keep an open mind but these times make it tough.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
At Whistler I haven't seen any days that I haven't been able to book, pretty easy for reservations. But it's early season.
Just cancelled tomorrow, that was fast too.
Creekside, my normal upload has a longer maze but result of cone spacing between parties and a single snake line to keep sideways separation.
The actual upload time does not seem longer and normal midweek walk on once the initial upload rush is gone

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone else having issues with making reservations for their EpicSchoolKids passes? For one of my kids, we currently have 6 priority days reserved. I can't make any more for him at all, not even week of reservations. He has not exceeded his number of days allotted for any of the VR mountains. When trying to reserve, for his pass it keeps saying "Maximum reservations exceeded". I've been trying to call VR customer service but every time I call I get the same message that call volumes are heavier than typical and to try to call back later. I tried live chat but it was over 3 hours wait and they would've been closed by the time it was my turn to chat. Frustrating.

Sponsor

Staff online