• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta A Steep and Sunny Gathering, Jackson Hole (and Targhee) 2020

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
1583691235241.png
View of Jackson Hole when flying out... the labels aren't visible from the plane :P

The national Gathering at Jackson Hole was my 5th straight national Gathering - Aspen, Whistler, Utah, Big Sky, and now Jackson Hole. They've all been great and different, but there's one word this year's Gathering brings to mind.... steep.

This was my first time visiting Jackson Hole, and it lived up to it's reputation for being steep. It wasn't that I skied anything steeper than things I'd skied before; It was more that everything was consistently steeper than other places I've been. There are not many "easy outs" from most of the lifts - no way to decide to take it easy once you've ridden up. No sprinkling of green runs throughout the mountain to give your legs a rest. It's pretty unrelenting. But it was a great experience, really, and by the time you've skied a few days, it doesn't seem quite as steep.

The Gathering had a great turn out, I skied with a bunch of folks I knew, some new ones I met, and as usual it was a terrific week of skiing, drinking, eating, and fun.

Travel

I flew into Jackson for the Gathering, which was pretty easy, though there are no direct flights from DC. The weather was clear, so there were no issues getting in. Arriving at (or leaving from) Jackson airport gives you great views of the mountains surrounding the valley, including the Tetons and Jackson Hole Mountain Resort. Picking out the resort from the surrounding hills isn't easy if you haven't been there - there aren't many obvious cut runs amid heavy forest like you see other places - the mountains are sort of naturally sparse with trees.

20200222_130140.jpg
No jetways at Jackson airport, so have your coat handy

The airport is a nice one, with great views out the big windows. There were free mimosas, and birds of prey on display (owls and a bald eagle) and the place is relatively upscale for an airport.

20200229_102301.jpg
Fireplace and artwork at the airport

I took the Avis shuttle to pick up my rental car, which actually takes you the whole way to the town of Jackson. I checked into my AirBnB, met up with a few other folks for some drinks, and got ready for the Gathering to officially start the next day.

Morning Meet-ups

On Sunday, we drove to the Ranch parking lot, took the shuttle, and headed up to bootup. Based on some notes others had made on the Gathering thread, I tried the new Base Tent JHMR set up not far from the lifts, and wound up booting up there all week. It had some benches, tables, cubbies, and by the end of the week, a PugSki sticker right next to the door. One of the issues with getting groups to the morning meetup is where to boot up. In past Gatherings, we've sometimes had a rented bootup room, but that was prohibitively expensive at JH. And JH has typically only had some outdoor locker and benches, which to me was surprising. I actually took a survey in the Base Tent one day, and emphasized how nice it was to have a real place to boot up, and that they needed a lot more of it.

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 165 ACR Conv.jpg
Base Tent in Teton Village

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 176 ACR Conv.jpg
Decorated with a PugSki sticker, later in the week

Every morning, folks started arriving between 8:30 and 9:00 to form up groups and decide who wanted to head where for the day. Being the Gathermeister meant I met just about everyone who came through, which was nice. Some mornings were busier than others, and the base area in general was busiest on Tuesday, when we had a reported 5" of snow overnight. Even a small powder day can bring out the crowds.

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 006 ACR Conv Pano.jpg
Base area for first morning meetup... most days were pretty sunny, including a few spectacular blue bird days

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 064 ACR Conv.jpg
Teewinot lift, and Sweetwater Gondola. These are the easy ways to start your day, and I took one or the other each morning.

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 072 ACR Conv.jpg
A bunch of Pugskiers meeting up in the morning, with lots of others in the background

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 074 ACR Conv.jpg
@theNitza and @SkiDB in the morning

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 075 ACR Conv.jpg
@jimmy and @Tricia

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 076 ACR Conv.jpg
@LaurelHillCraze talking to @Brad J, with Mrs. LaurelHillCraze on the right

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 077 ACR Conv.jpg
Brad, talking with @Unpiste and @Jim Kenney

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 080 ACR Conv.jpg
David and @Jerez, with @Gary Stolt taking a pic of me taking this pic, as @jimmy looks on

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 134 ACR Conv.jpg
A bunch of Pugs... @jimmy, @JohnL, Anne Mink, @Dean, and @Jersey Skier (I think)

Skiing!

So standing around in the snow waiting for the lifts to start is all well and good... but everyone was actually there to ski. I started most days in the après Vous area, which is the easiest area of the mountain with some nice long groomers, including some pretty steep pitches depending on where you go. We found a couple of inches of untracked a couple of mornings that skied really nicely too, and some slightly deeper and less consistent stuff on the small powder morning on Tuesday.

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 066 ACR Conv.jpg
Bridger and Sweetwater gondolas rising up the mountain

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 015 ACR Conv.jpg
@Weegie McAdams, @Dean and others skiing in the après Vous areas

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 081 ACR Conv.jpg
2 random folks, @David Chaus, @SkiDB, @JohnL, and @theNitza at the top of après Vous

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 084 ACR Conv.jpg
@Andy Mink, @jimmy, Anne Mink, Mrs. LHC, and @LaurelHillCraze

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 085 ACR Conv.jpg
Requisite ski sticker shot

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 026 ACR Conv.jpg
Crowds in the Casper chair area

I spent a lot of time on most of the chairs, but only took the Tram twice. There were fun runs off of all of them... I think Laramie Bowl, Bivouac, and Rendezvous bowl were my favorite for some challenge, without getting over my head. There were some nice tree areas and some bumps I enjoyed as well, including Grizzly Glade and Gannet. Most days, I started more on the skiers left side of the mountain, and worked my way over to the skiers right lifts (Thunder and Sublette) which tend to have less groomers and more difficult terrain.

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 027 ACR Conv.jpg
Laramie bowl, one of my favorite runs/areas of the mountain

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 032 ACR Conv.jpg
@DanoT, @AeroSKI5150, and me

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 041 ACR Conv.jpg
Caden (sp?) skied with various groups of Pugs throughout the week, and was game to go almost anywhere at 10 years old!

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 104 ACR Conv.jpg
Bivouac... it was groomed early in the week, and developed bumps throughout the rest of the week

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 106 ACR Conv.jpg
Another view of Laramie Bowl - steep up top, and mellowing out a bit below

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 109 ACR Conv.jpg
@Andy Mink and @jimmy in Laramie Bowl

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 115 ACR Conv.jpg
The Tram over Laramie Bowl

I didn't take the tram the first couple of days, but figured I'd ski it at least once on the trip. The Sublette chair takes you almost to the same place, so for me, the only difference taking the tram was getting to ski Rendezvous Bowl. I was assuming it would be a big bump run, but snow, wind, and not a lot of traffic made it ski very nicely the two times I did it... especially the second, when it was nice smooth skiing wind-buff.

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 063 ACR Conv.jpg
Sign on the front of the tram building

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 117 ACR Conv.jpg
In line for the tram... we waited through 4 cars from here

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 118 ACR Conv.jpg
@bigguyski and @theNitza waiting in line for the tram

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 119 ACR Conv.jpg
Almost there....

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 125 ACR Conv.jpg
View from the top

Unfortunately, it clouded up a bit on our ride up and we got some flat light for skiing the bowl... it was still pretty nice though.

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 129 ACR Conv.jpg
@Flying Dutchess skiing Rendezvous Bowl

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 131 ACR Conv.jpg
@Weegie McAdams in Rendezvous Bowl

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 136 ACR Conv.jpg
Some days, the ski group grew to be rather large.... 14 or 15 pugs skiing here... @Jersey Skier and @Jimski looking at the camera

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 139 ACR Conv.jpg
Heading up the Marmot lift to Rendezvous lodge... lunch meetup was here most days.... the terrain above the lodge is hike-to

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 147 ACR Conv.jpg
Big after lunch group.... @Andy Mink, @Jwrags, @theNitza, @Philpug, @aveski, @Tricia, @BS Slarver... among others I think

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 049 ACR Conv.jpg
@BS Slarver coming into the lift line

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 050 ACR Conv.jpg
@Philpug and @DanoT coming to the lift

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 053 ACR Conv.jpg
@theNitza and @Tricia

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 054 ACR Conv.jpg
@David Chaus and me on the lift

The small powder day on Tuesday meant people were hunting for some nicer snow off-piste in a lot of places. The trees between Casper and Teton lifts held some deeper and better snow, and folks skied it a couple of times. I did the easier top section before things started getting a little tighter and swoopier. I also skied Grizzly Glade, which started great, got steeper and tougher, and then finished out OK... it was a bit much for me, but I was glad I skied it.

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 057 ACR Conv.jpg
Some powder in the trees between runs

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 060 ACR Conv.jpg
Pugs in the trees... @SKI-3PO, @BS Slarver, @mdf and a few others

Other than that day, most of the week was sunny to partly-cloudy, which wasn't as good as lots of fresh snow.... but it has its benefits too. Overall the snow mostly stayed nice as it stayed cold. Not too much ice or real hardpack to contend with.

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 150 ACR Conv.jpg
Bumps and Pugs in the Sublette area

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 151 ACR Conv.jpg
@MattSmith taking a pic of me taking this pic as he rides the Sublette lift

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 152 ACR Conv.jpg
Some (rare for JH) blue bumps off the tram line

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 155 ACR Conv.jpg
@theNitza sking the bumps

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 172 ACR Conv.jpg
@mdf at the bottom of Bivouac

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 174 ACR Conv.jpg
Light, shadow, and blowing snow on Bivouac

Views

One of the unique things about Jackson is the amazing views available just about anywhere. Since the mountains loom over a big flat valley, pretty much anywhere you look has big wide open views. Here are a few I captured...

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 014 ACR Conv.jpg
Valley View

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 021 ACR Conv.jpg
Looking toward the town of Jackson from the resort... the slopes are Snow King Resort in town

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 040 ACR Conv Pano.jpg
View from the top of Sublette Chair

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 042 ACR Conv.jpg
Teton Village from up high

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 045 ACR Conv Pano.jpg
View looking northwest

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 096 ACR Conv Pano.jpg
Tram and Corbet's Couloir from Rendezvous Lodge

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 124 ACR Conv Pano.jpg
View 1 from the top of Rendezvous Bowl

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 171 ACR Conv Pano.jpg
View 2 from the top of Rendezvous Bowl

Food and Drink

I basically look for 2 things at the resort... a decent place to get lunch, and a decent place to get après drinks. For me that usually means a place where you can get a seat and hang out, not a really crowded and loud bar. Most days I had lunch at the Rendezvous lodge cafeteria on the upper level. It made for a good place to meet up with folks for afternoon skiing. The food was pretty standard fare and prices for major resorts - not bad, but not cheap. Later in the week, quite a few folks hit up the Alpenhof in the village for lunch. They had an $8 lunch menu that was a good deal for the money, and for not much more you could get things off the full menu.

As for après, we met up at RPK in the tram building several days, which worked out well with big long tables. And like lunch, the last day some of us got together at the Alpenhof, which was nice too.

20200226_170705.jpg
One day at RPK

20200226_170717.jpg
More Pugs at RPK

Since I was staying in town, dinner was either eat in, or go to one of the many restaurants in town. The first day, the day we flew in, a bunch of us gathered at Bin 22 for some tapas and happy hour wine specials. I can highly recommend it. I also hit Snake River Brewing, Liberty Burger, and Bubba's BBQ and enjoyed them all.

20200222_172253.jpg
First day at Bin 22

Grand Targhee Day

For this Gathering, a bunch of folks decided to spend the last day for most of us (Friday) at Grand Targhee, over the pass from Jackson Hole. It was a beautiful bluebird day, the snow was nice, and it was a great way to end the week. GT has terrific views, much like Jackson Hole. It's especially known for it's great view of the Tetons from off the back. Overall, a lot of Grand Targhee reminded me of Vail's back-bowls... wide open spaces, sparse trees, ski wherever you choose. It was a lot of fun.

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 180 ACR Conv Pano.jpg
Dreamcatcher lift right at the small base area. This is the central main lift of the three primary lifts at GT.

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 182 ACR Conv.jpg
Riding up Dreamcatcher ... the off-piste would ski very nicely when it softened in the sun

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 188 ACR Conv Pano.jpg
View from the top

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 189 ACR Conv.jpg
This isn't Jackson.... better check the trail map

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 197 ACR Conv.jpg
@Pumba in front of @aveski, with @SkiDB and me

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 199 ACR Conv.jpg
@Gary Stolt, @Stephen, @Philpug, @David Chaus, and @theNitza

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 207 ACR Conv Pano.jpg
Great views at GT

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 205 ACR Conv Pano.jpg
Wider angle view

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 211 ACR Conv Pano.jpg
The cat skiing area is on the other side of this ridge. There was also a college freeskiing competition going on coming down the cliff bands right-center in the photo

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 224 ACR Conv.jpg
Closer view of the competition

Jackson Hole Gathering 022920 238 ACR Conv Pano.jpg
Teton view

Thanks

Finally... thanks to everyone I met, skied with, ate with, shared a lift with, and everyone who came out to make it a great Gathering. Thanks especially to @Philpug and @Tricia of course.

And I hope to see everyone next year!!!

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I missed your moose pictures :duck:

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I'm at the Teton Valley Cabins right now, where is everybody?

Just kidding, we'll spend the day tomorrow at Grand Targhee in the fog and light drizzle and never see The Three. Our last day of the season and I'm having withdrawal symptoms already.

I'd like to do a gathering some day, I wish I weren't so anti-social. It looks like a lot of fun and seems to pull in a lot of folks who never post here! That's probably a good thing.

Nice review Mr Gathermeister...

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
Awesome report Dave! Looks like JH and GT were in great shape from your photos. I was at Big Sky this week and the conditions there were not so good. I should have gone to Wyoming!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm at the Teton Valley Cabins right now, where is everybody?

Just kidding, we'll spend the day tomorrow at Grand Targhee in the fog and light drizzle and never see The Three. Our last day of the season and I'm having withdrawal symptoms already.

I'd like to do a gathering some day, I wish I weren't so anti-social. It looks like a lot of fun and seems to pull in a lot of folks who never post here! That's probably a good thing.

Nice review Mr Gathermeister...
Wait, we were just at the cabins and Targhee yesterday! Sorry we missed you!
Sorry to have missed the gathering this year! Nice review, @dbostedo

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Great job, @dbostedo. Thanks for everything!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January