• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

A Warm Welcome to Nivis Gear to the Ski Industry

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Nivis-Gear-Nivis1-Jacket-SkiTalk-Pugliese-SliderVersion3.jpg

This thread is for the general discussion of the Article A Warm Welcome to Nivis Gear to the Ski Industry. Please add to the discussion here.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I think they are nice looking jackets. I see they have a pro program, too.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The discount code link is kaput.

Question: Is the hood removable?

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Doesn't seem to be any women's offerings?

Bassmantweed

Booting up
Skier
Look like really nice coats but at that price they are bumping up against well know premium vendors with proven customer service and business longevity. I thought the whole point of these types of disruptors was to provide superior products at lower prices by cutting out middle men and marketing?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Well shoot. I just bought a jacket as well. With the closeout price and the additional SkiTalk discount I couldn't help myself.

The last thing I need is another ski jacket as pretty soon I'm going to rival Finn in the clothing department. But I saw @Stephen wearing it at the gathering and liked it and he gave it rave reviews.

I like to give these startups a chance as well. Here is a clear example of SkiTalk promotion driving some sales.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
My new Nivis coat arrived. It is very well made. The shell is a material that is pretty much the same as the Black Diamond Boundary line fabric. The fit and finish is excellent. The zippers are a good "weight" not to big, not to small. The pocket zippers are seem sealed. The powder skirt is good sized. The pockets are all large enough, the two dump pockets on the inside are well sized. The hood is planty big enough with intelligently design pull closures and a hard bill. There is some interesting fabric choices on the inside back and in the hood that will make the jacket very comfortable. The insulation is thin enough to remain comfortable for skiing. My current insulated jacket is the first edition of the Black Diamond Boundary Line BD wool mapped jacket. That jacket has an odd twilled outside fabric that I never liked very much. The Nivis jacket a significant upgrade to the BD Boundary Line jacket. My pure shell jacket is the Black Diamond Mission Shell. The Mission shell is a Gore-Tex pro hard shell that retails for $650. The Nivis is every bit as nice and actually has more nice features and touches.

Last thing their customer service can't be beat.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have been skiing the Nivis jacket this year and wanted to update my experience. The jacket is great to ski in. It is light, warm, not bulky, not tight, moves well, keeps me warm, first jacket I have ever had were I feel comfortable skiing with the hood up, plenty of pockets. In short I am very happy with it.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have been skiing the Nivis jacket this year and wanted to update my experience. The jacket is great to ski in. It is light, warm, not bulky, not tight, moves well, keeps me warm, first jacket I have ever had were I feel comfortable skiing with the hood up, plenty of pockets. In short I am very happy with it.
How about a selfie with coat?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I usually prefer a shell but the Nivis has been my go to this season. It's light enough to keep me warm with a base layer and one other light layer but not too warm. We started a 7° yesterday and I was fine. Over 25-30° in the morning and I'll use a shell.

A few things I really like: there are two pulls in the pits. If you open both and meet in the middle the vent is fully open but doesn't get floppy. The pass pocket has an elastic strap with a card holder in it just in case you forget to zip it cough@Triciacough. The hood lays flat when not in use. It doesn't tend to catch as much air as some others. Lots of pockets. Nice flexy material. Long enough to cover my butt.

ETA: the odd fold above the flag on the sleeve is a cord I use to hang on to my phone. It's just a little long and got in a weird spot.
IMG_5069.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsor