• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Every time I drive US Hwy 285 south and go through Aspen Park and Conifer I see what looks like is an abandoned ski area to the northwest. By Google Earth, it looks like it's on Black Mountain. The area seen off of 285 faces mostly east above the Maxwell Creek drainage but there's another adjacent north facing area above the Cub Creek drainage. It looks like it was a modest sized ski area with about 30 runs total. Anyone know anything about this area? Doing a quick Google search didn't return any info.

TS
Prosper

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just read the Twitter post about it. Looks like it’s not abandoned and if a private land owner who cut the runs for him/herself and friends/family. Looks like some relatively steep and fun terrain. Anyone want to get arrested with me for trespassing?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Is it this area?

Wow. Looks amazing, perfect runs but that area does not get that much snow. At least during the past few years.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
I know the tweets say it's private and intended to stay that way, but the Lyslo family's been buying up little parcels in the area for a few years... looks like they're up to around 400 acres and 1700 vertical feet. If they want to take it public in the future, seems like it could definitely be commercially viable. Shorter season than the majors, for sure, but it's so close to where folks live!

double b117

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I know this post is older... but I think I found some more info about these runs on Black Mountain. Singletrack Trails has a project post about some mountain bike and ski run trail design they did for a private property owner on Black Mountain. 30 Ski runs created, 2 Snow Cat tracks constructed, and 6 miles of mountain bike trails. They have some photos of trail switchbacks and skiing, presumably on the property. Pretty dang sweet for the owner!

double b117

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier

"Black Mountain Ski Area is the vision of a passionate property owner who wanted the ability to experience the finest powder skiing on his own 450-acre private property. Singletrack Trails was privileged to be selected as the designer and contractor for this unique project just miles from Denver, Colorado. How cool is that?

The owner was searching for a contractor willing to build unique and custom ski runs that could be field fit and constructed. Singletrack Trails collaborated extensively with the owner to understand his goals and validate that his dream ski area could be built within the budget. The project is located in a site with 2,000 feet of elevation gain and a significant amount of beetle kill. Establishing a trail system that would be sustainable and minimize soil erosion was a key part of the project. This was a fun one."

Sponsor