• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Abdominal strength

Saintsman

Getting off the lift
Skier
OK guys, how important is this for skiing? Reason I ask is I had keyhole surgery in this area recently that went a bit iffy, and my "no abdominal workout for 6 weeks" has become "no abdominal workout for 12 weeks" (not to mention no general workout for 8 weeks)

So I'm looking at another 2-3 weeks before I can even start general fitness, and around Christmas before I can focus on the abs area. How much should I be seriously worried?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Worry about that bridge in 8 weeks+.

If your boots are well set up for you, and if you're starting from even moderate fitness, you'll be able to do something on snow soon enough.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wait to they tell you it's ok, but then start with a lot of crunches, 100-300 and side bends.
And as opposed to other muscles, you can do this every day

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
That kind of surgery could leave you with a hernia if not given time to heal. That area of the body is a risky place to have a hernia injury. I would suggest - let heal.

Core work includes abs and back muscles. Working the back muscles now could help you with later strengthening of the abs. But ask.

Pajarito-bred

Getting off the lift
Skier
So I'm looking at another 2-3 weeks before I can even start general fitness, and around Christmas before I can focus on the abs area. How much should I be seriously worried?
What's important is how good your conditioning is/was before surgery, 8-12 weeks off would be a whole lot easier to bounce back from, not starting from scratch, both strength and aerobic. (aerobically, aerobic-wise?)
OK guys, how important is this for skiing?
That depends... on what sort of terrain you normally ski, what your Dr. recommends. Cruising some mellow blues, agonizingly slowly, the first couple of days out, waiting a few ski-days before venturing off-piste briefly just to sample how it feels (including the next day) would be a good approach.

My early Dec. surgery last year caused me to miss a whole month last season. I endured what felt like a robot party in my abdomen to get a cantankerous prostate yanked out. The first two weeks it took about five minutes of planning each time I got out of bed, and didn't get much more activity than walking ....almost Tim Conway slowly.... around the house for four weeks. I had to miss several great powder days, and then as soon as I could ski again, the storm track stayed far away for several long weeks!

I knew my surgery date a couple months in advance, so I was able to keep biking and working out (classes at the gym with squats, lunges, burpees, and variations on those) so was in good shape (for 61). My first day back on skis was after five weeks, groomers only, but after 8 weeks, we took a 6-day trip to Utah, where it might have been smarter to hold back a bit from skiing steeps, bumps, glades, chutes at PC, Snowbird, and Alta, on mostly old, firm (for Utah) snow.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
My first day back on skis was after five weeks, groomers only, but after 8 weeks, we took a 6-day trip to Utah, where it might have been smarter to hold back a bit from skiing steeps, bumps, glades, chutes at PC, Snowbird, and Alta, on mostly old, firm (for Utah) snow.

It's hard to resist that.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Had keyhole surgery for a hernia in early June one year and skied from last week July same year.

Unless you are planning RCS level saves you should be good to go when the docs say. Just do what feels ok.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
This is a perfect time to book with a high level instructor. Have them assess what needs to be addressed to make you a more efficient skier. Get on green terrain and drill, drill, drill for a few weeks, or month. you will be building more capacity, while protecting your vulnerabilities, ultimately making you a better (more efficient) skier.

TS
Saintsman

Saintsman

Getting off the lift
Skier
This is a perfect time to book with a high level instructor. Have them assess what needs to be addressed to make you a more efficient skier. Get on green terrain and drill, drill, drill for a few weeks, or month. you will be building more capacity, while protecting your vulnerabilities, ultimately making you a better (more efficient) skier.
If I only lived near a snowy mountain range and had time on my hands.....

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I have no idea what surgery you had done or what happened but 8 weeks of no exercise and 12 weeks of no abdominal exercises is a very long time and highly unusual except in rare circumstances, even after a big midline surgical incision. I hope you heal well!

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I recommend buying some Peak skis :ogbiggrin: and taking it easy on groomers of the next few months.

JC Ski

Putting on skis
Skier
@Saintsman, how'd you turn out?

Just had open abdominal hernia surgery a few weeks ago and the waiting is tough. Fortunately it's a much worse snow year this year, but I'd be interested to hear how your return to skiing and general exercise went!

TS
Saintsman

Saintsman

Getting off the lift
Skier
@Saintsman, how'd you turn out?

Just had open abdominal hernia surgery a few weeks ago and the waiting is tough. Fortunately it's a much worse snow year this year, but I'd be interested to hear how your return to skiing and general exercise went!
Sorry, been offline and further ill for a while....

Had to cancel skiing last season; around the time I was expecting to be making my first turns of the season I was giong through my 4th bout of Covid, which was followed up by a chest infection. That led to significant swelling of my legs and a diagnosis of heart failure (left ventricle reduced ejection fraction). Since then I've been taking a lot of meds and doing a huge amount of cardio work to make up for this; my doc has signed off on me skiing again so Feb 1st I'm on the LHR-YVR AC flight and on the 2nd will be on Whistler finding out what works and what doesn't.

The plus point is that I've done a huge amount of physical training that should cover any abdominal issues I may have had; the downside is that I now have the heart to factor in.

JC Ski

Putting on skis
Skier
Wow, sorry to hear about all the additional illness. Glad you were able to recover and train back up. Best of luck in Whistler, I'll cross my fingers that they get some good snow by then!

TS
Saintsman

Saintsman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Wow, sorry to hear about all the additional illness. Glad you were able to recover and train back up. Best of luck in Whistler, I'll cross my fingers that they get some good snow by then!
Thanks. Feels like I've been through the wars the last couple of years, I'm praying for a really uneventful 12 months.....

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks. Feels like I've been through the wars the last couple of years, I'm praying for a really uneventful 12 months.....
Good luck! Onward and upward.

TS
Saintsman

Saintsman

Getting off the lift
Skier
So... end of day 4 of skiing

We'll ignore the state of the snow here at Whistler for now (will comment separately if anyone's interested).

I'm doing surprisingly well. If I had any issues due to my surgery they've fully recovered (beyond the very obvious 3 inch scar visible when I ease into the hotel hot tub)

Cardio work seems to be covering my reduced heart capacity to the point I would guess I'm doing better than I was pre-hear failure, and I’ll be talking to my cardiologist about whether altitude skiing could return to my future.

The downside is that I have lost yet more fat round my feet and calves. Unlike 2 years ago (after major weight loss) I haven't needed new shells, but I have had to fork out on new intuition liners to help fill out things. Skiing has improved, comfort less so

JC Ski

Putting on skis
Skier
So... end of day 4 of skiing

We'll ignore the state of the snow here at Whistler for now (will comment separately if anyone's interested).

I'm doing surprisingly well. If I had any issues due to my surgery they've fully recovered (beyond the very obvious 3 inch scar visible when I ease into the hotel hot tub)

Cardio work seems to be covering my reduced heart capacity to the point I would guess I'm doing better than I was pre-hear failure, and I’ll be talking to my cardiologist about whether altitude skiing could return to my future.

The downside is that I have lost yet more fat round my feet and calves. Unlike 2 years ago (after major weight loss) I haven't needed new shells, but I have had to fork out on new intuition liners to help fill out things. Skiing has improved, comfort less so
Sounds like positives all around (except for needing to buy new liners). The adjustability of Zip Fit liners (add vs remove cork) may be a solution, but I think that's quite a bit more money than intuitions especially for you just bought new ones.

Glad to hear you're out and about, though you're not missing a ton of skiing is limited this year. Hopefully it will dump at Whistler in March or next year for you!