• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ACL Replacement Finally On Track

TS
PisteOff

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok, just got back from my day after consult with PT and the surgeon. They’re happy with where I’m at. Good leg at rest lying flat is -4* hyperextension which they said is good. Surgery leg unwrapped lying flat was 6* so they were really happy with that. Was able to bend surgery leg to 60*. We did a number of stretches and range of motion exercises. The re-wrapped before I left.

So for the immediate need they want me to work primarily on range of motion and getting the quad muscle to fire again and be able to hold it. Very odd sensation that the quad doesn’t want to work. So a lot of getting that to fire and holding it taut while holding the knee down so the leg stays flat. I go to PT twice a week for the next two weeks and consult with the doc on the 4th visit to evaluate where I’m at and how best to proceed. Now that I’m home I’ll review all the instructions and get a game plan together. Fortunately I have Suzanne to help me. This would suck to do alone. I’ll write another post regarding the condition of my knee. The surgeon took a bunch of pics.
41A595B0-EB83-410C-B79D-1FDD409A8ECD.jpeg
7DA797F3-EC2F-47DD-B102-9206944C6FEC.jpeg
702A2AA6-044C-4994-A579-038B2748E2AC.jpeg

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Very odd sensation that the quad doesn’t want to work.
I had that too. I'd think "move" and nothing would happen. I don't remember if we did electrical stimulus or just talked about it. But PT tapping on the muscle while I tried to use it is what woke it up.

TS
PisteOff

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had that too. I'd think "move" and nothing would happen. I don't remember if we did electrical stimulus or just talked about it. But PT tapping on the muscle while I tried to use it is what woke it up.
I was able to “find” it by concentrating and switching from right to left real fast. The first ones were just pitiful quivers and it still does that sometimes. It’s not full on engaged and flexed like I can with the right leg but I can see it improving already. Took awhile before I could hold a ten count but again it’s pretty weak. I still have a bit of the nerve block still working too. That should be worn off completely tonight. I did take a pain pill prior to PT as I knew what was coming.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Can I get you anything? ;)

I'm a big fan of the Concept 2 rowing machine. Ideal for getting a cardio workout while rehabilitating a knee. You can control the range of motion and the effort to minimize discomfort. After the rehab phase you can blend it in to your daily routine and keep track of your VO2 max which is what you really want to increase after dealing with COPD. I'm into it pretty seriously so if you have any interest I'm happy to be a resource.

Congrats for kicking those evil cancer sticks too.

TS
PisteOff

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Can I get you anything? ;)

I'm a big fan of the Concept 2 rowing machine. Ideal for getting a cardio workout while rehabilitating a knee. You can control the range of motion and the effort to minimize discomfort. After the rehab phase you can blend it in to your daily routine and keep track of your VO2 max which is what you really want to increase after dealing with COPD. I'm into it pretty seriously so if you have any interest I'm happy to be a resource.

Congrats for kicking those evil cancer sticks too.
We’re getting ready to move so I probably won’t add anything until the move is complete and we’re settled in. I will check it out in the meantime. Thank you.

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
My wife is going thru this. Very similar to you but also had to replace her mcl. 2 stitches in her meniscus and because of that was none weight bearing for 6 weeks. Watch the swelling down the road. Hers wasn’t going down as fast as they thought so had it checked and she has clots. Good luck in your recovery we have almost exactly the same setup as you. Ice is your friend.

TS
PisteOff

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My wife is going thru this. Very similar to you but also had to replace her mcl. 2 stitches in her meniscus and because of that was none weight bearing for 6 weeks. Watch the swelling down the road. Hers wasn’t going down as fast as they thought so had it checked and she has clots. Good luck in your recovery we have almost exactly the same setup as you. Ice is your friend.
Hoping not to develop clots. I have been taking baby aspirin as a thinner for a few years due to a TIA event. All the tests in the world and they couldn’t figure it out so I’ve been doing that as a preventative. I had meniscus work done in a couple locations as well. This knee has suffered multiple injuries over the years. Most of it went unaddressed as I was able to work. It was only when I was unable to work in the early 90’s that I had surgery on it previously. They ended up cutting out a bunch of torn free cartilage. He called the condition a double bucket handle. Anyway, it has always been my intent to address this as soon as I retired. Having done that, here we are.

Thank you for your tips.

Last edited:

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier
ice/water circulating contraption
Use that thing! My wife has one from a forefoot reconstruction - was a big help.
It took us a little while to figure out how to drain the cuff when not in use (it was under the dressing/ wrapping from surgery). Not sure of that's an issue for you.

Good luck on the recovery & rehab!

TS
PisteOff

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Use that thing! My wife has one from a forefoot reconstruction - was a big help.
It took us a little while to figure out how to drain the cuff when not in use (it was under the dressing/ wrapping from surgery). Not sure of that's an issue for you.

Good luck on the recovery & rehab!
I use it multiple times a day. Just took it off. I eliminated a lot of the post op dressing and wrap yesterday morning so it’s really doing it’s job now. My wife had a post tibial tendon transfer done on her left foot a couple years ago. She wanted one then. Not sure why we never got one then but we have one now. We’re going through (3) 7lb bags of ice a day presently. The unit holds 6 lbs of ice. So Suzanne has been refreshing it 3x a day. You could probably get away with less but the wife won’t hear it. I just let her do her thing when she’s in mama nurse mode. Overall swelling is down considerably.

Thanks Dean.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I use it multiple times a day. Just took it off. I eliminated a lot of the post op dressing and wrap yesterday morning so it’s really doing it’s job now. My wife had a post tibial tendon transfer done on her left foot a couple years ago. She wanted one then. Not sure why we never got one then but we have one now. We’re going through (3) 7lb bags of ice a day presently. The unit holds 6 lbs of ice. So Suzanne has been refreshing it 3x a day. You could probably get away with less but the wife won’t hear it. I just let her do her thing when she’s in mama nurse mode. Overall swelling is down considerably.

Thanks Dean.
Frozen water bottles worked well in the machine for my friends' knee replacements and my husband's shoulder surgery, too.

TS
PisteOff

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Frozen water bottles worked well in the machine for my friends' knee replacements and my husband's shoulder surgery, too.
Funny you mention that as the wife said the same thing this morning. Ice is cheap but dealing with all the bags and big frozen chunks is a pain.

Thank you.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Watching this thread and sending good vibes.

TS
PisteOff

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A lot of stretching today. As much as I hate taking pain pills, the length of these stretches wouldn’t be possible without it. I’d be lucky to get half that (I’ve tried). I did my PT without them yesterday. It was rough. I’ve only taken 2 Vicodin since the surgery. I take them only to do this. They prescribed me 20. I’ve some pictures from the surgery I will share later today.
837FFF62-FD78-4B66-8393-22A341DF2C40.jpeg
3EB11D48-797E-4197-84D1-68548CEAEB2B.jpeg
5B44E4FE-6163-46CB-817D-4BC07EE1FF4F.jpeg

Last edited:

OSD

Getting on the lift
Skier
A lot of stretching today. As much as I hate taking pain pills, the length of these stretches wouldn’t be possible without it. I’d be lucky to get half that (I’ve tried). I did my PT without them yesterday. It was rough. I’ve only taken 2 Vicodin since the surgery. I take them only to do this. They prescribed me 20. I’ve some pictures from the surgery I will share later today.

I'm a day behind you, had surgery thursday. Does the vicodin really help with the PT? I've been avoiding them because of the...you know...side effects.

TS
PisteOff

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm a day behind you, had surgery thursday. Does the vicodin really help with the PT? I've been avoiding them because of the...you know...side effects.
It’s absolutely the ONLY reason I will take them and the answer is yes. I’ve tried it both ways.

Sponsor

Staff online