• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Acute Mountain Sickness - © 2006, D. M. Polaner

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
@Mendieta - you're not wrong about that. I'm usually the one sleeping in the car, but once we get there we have to unpack and deal with dogs. It's really, really hard to get into town earlier.

Ah. That would _definitely_ screw me up. Meaning, a power nap before going to bed is a recipe for no-sleep for me. Almost for the opposite reasons as driving. In one case I am too hyper. In the other, too rested. If you do this on Fridays, you might want to simply stay up on the drive up there, get there, enjoy a glass of bourbon or whatever makes you happy while you unpack, and collapse in bed.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Ah. That would _definitely_ screw me up. Meaning, a power nap before going to bed is a recipe for no-sleep for me. Almost for the opposite reasons as driving. In one case I am too hyper. In the other, too rested. If you do this on Fridays, you might want to simply stay up on the drive up there, get there, enjoy a glass of bourbon or whatever makes you happy while you unpack, and collapse in bed.

The real solution is obviously to simply move to Breck full time.

*sigh*

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
The first time my wife and I spent the night in Dillon CO (approx 9200') we both had terrible head aches and nausea the next morning, She also gets migraine headaches and always carries her rescue meds with her so we both took some Imitrex - that made the rest of the day bearable. The next year we returned with Diamox in hand which worked well but the wife didn't like the way it made her feel. So now she's on the Ginko Biloba protocol and I still take the Diamox.

This year on the fourth day at altitude my head felt fine and no altitude sickness but the Diamox really messed with my bladder and urinary tract. I thought I had the clap or something! It turns out "painful urination" is one of the rarer side effects of the drug. We might skip Dillon next year.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Coming from sea level years ago, I learned after several horrible trips I had to overnight in Denver before heading into the mountains. Even now, a visit to Denver itself for a week coming from 3-4000 feet means an increased migraine count from a normal week. Fortunately (?) I no longer have to go there. I've got snow and mountains 16 minutes from the house and my mother and brother, who lived there, are no longer alive.

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
Does anyone use supplementary O2 (not the Boost O2 but a real tank with nose cannula) when going to a place like Breckenridge (9,600’)?
If so, do you have a few 10-15 min sessions a day to help symptoms or do you have a portable tank system and wear it all day/night? Just curious, as I might test this out to see if it helps my headaches.

antennaguru

Booting Out
Skier
Thanks for this thread - Super Informative!

Now I understand better why I have liked skiing at Mt Bachelor better than other areas I have been to out West. On those trips I have typically flown into Redmond and stayed/slept in Downtown Bend. I drive up to Mt Bachelor in the morning and back down to Bend in the afternoon, and that limits the higher altitude exposure for a flatlander like me. Plus it's nice to stay in a sidewalk'd downtown, and not have to drive anywhere other than to ski.

Sponsor

Staff online