• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Adding a stiffer cuff to a softer clog?

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Crushing commercial boots but shell fits have established that my foot is too long (and possibly too wide) for a plug. On the basis that a softer cuff is sometimes added to a stiffer clog, would the opposite be a solution? Wondering whether it would work to take a 29.5 plug cuff and add it to a 30.5 commercial clog. Worth doing or would the clog just mush out? And would a 29.5 cuff even match up with a 30.5 clog? Potential solution or a complete mess?
Thanks.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Doesn't a boot's stiffness come primarily from the spine? And isn't the spine part of the clog?

Anyway, following.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My understanding is most boots "performs" by deformation of the lower clog. Using a "stiffer" cuff will probably get you a "more efficient" way of crushing (deforming) the lower clog. Back to square one? :huh:

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Dutchclogs.jpg
What’s a clog? I picture this, but that’s clearly not what you are talking about

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider

The Dalbello’s run super long both in internal space and boot sole length for the consumer & the plug version.

TS
Z

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
My understanding is most boots "performs" by deformation of the lower clog. Using a "stiffer" cuff will probably get you a "more efficient" way of crushing (deforming) the lower clog.
Yeah, that's probably what I'm feeling as the lower portion of the cuff giving way, thanks.

What’s a clog? I picture this
Picture it in plastic with holes to screw a cuff on.

I would be more inclined to talk to my boot fitter about putting stiffer foam in a custom liner.
Will be looking into that, thanks.

The Dalbello’s run super long both in internal space and boot sole length for the consumer & the plug version.
Ah, didn't know that, very interesting, thanks. Potentially adds another option. No experience with Dalbello, but had discounted the plug since it tops out at 28.5, and had also discounted the DRS 140 on the basis that if I battle for a 29.5, the only reason would be to get plug performance. If I went for a stiffer 30.5 commerical boot than the one I have (Lange RS 130 wide), that would leave a Raptor 30.5 and, if the length is indeed there, a DRS 140 in a 29.5. Is there anything about the Dalbello DRS 140 29.5 that makes it a better option on paper than a 30.5 Raptor 140 or, if it's not as long as a Raptor 30.5, a Lange 29.5 plug?

(Obviously in an ideal world, I'd present my feet to a bootfitter and they'd pick the boot, but in these sizes, it doesn't work like that - there's not enough demand to justify the inventory or ordering in stuff for which there'll be no demand if they don't work, so it's up to me to establish a shortlist of likely candidates before spending the time, money and miles doing the different shell fits and what have you. Any suggestion, objective info or subjective impression is really helpful.)

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Dutchclogs.jpg
What’s a clog? I picture this, but that’s clearly not what you are talking about

The clog is the lower part of the common 4 buckle boot with a two piece shell. Below is a screen shot off a Start Haus video by Jim Schaffner showing the lower clog.

Most fit, flex and alignment modifications are generally performed on the lower clog of the boot.

Screenshot (119).png

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
Yeah, that's probably what I'm feeling as the lower portion of the cuff giving way, thanks.

Picture it in plastic with holes to screw a cuff on.

Will be looking into that, thanks.

Ah, didn't know that, very interesting, thanks. Potentially adds another option. No experience with Dalbello, but had discounted the plug since it tops out at 28.5, and had also discounted the DRS 140 on the basis that if I battle for a 29.5, the only reason would be to get plug performance. If I went for a stiffer 30.5 commerical boot than the one I have (Lange RS 130 wide), that would leave a Raptor 30.5 and, if the length is indeed there, a DRS 140 in a 29.5. Is there anything about the Dalbello DRS 140 29.5 that makes it a better option on paper than a 30.5 Raptor 140 or, if it's not as long as a Raptor 30.5, a Lange 29.5 plug?

(Obviously in an ideal world, I'd present my feet to a bootfitter and they'd pick the boot, but in these sizes, it doesn't work like that - there's not enough demand to justify the inventory or ordering in stuff for which there'll be no demand if they don't work, so it's up to me to establish a shortlist of likely candidates before spending the time, money and miles doing the different shell fits and what have you. Any suggestion, objective info or subjective impression is really helpful.)

I find looking at the boots on paper doesn’t make a lot of sense because they’re all quite different in person. You can also use the Lange World Cup liner if you need some extra space as it is the finished one on the market.

The good newsis that both the options from dalbello and head are likely stiffer than the Lang you are currently in.

TS
Z

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Oh, one other thing @Brian Finch re. the DRS - I believe it used to be duck-toed but is now straight. Do you know which season this change came in?

ctsnowplow

Getting on the lift
Skier

It seems to be only 1mm longer for boot sole. 306mm vs 305mm in 8.5 US for Nordica and the same as the Lange. How much longer is the internal? sorry if I am highjacking an old thread.

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
It seems to be only 1mm longer for boot sole. 306mm vs 305mm in 8.5 US for Nordica and the same as the Lange. How much longer is the internal? sorry if I am highjacking an old thread.
No worries, in some sizes its 2mm on the BSL. However the internals feel quite a bit more.

Judge Smails

Booting up
Skier

I am curious if this applies to the 2022 and newer? (i.e. this year and last year). I am between a 25 and 26 shell and do agree that the "old" Dalbello was rather large per give size. However, is the newer 97 last version that came out last year not more "appropriately" sized? Not saying it is, asking the question.

Full disclosure, this is of interest to me because I always skied a 26 raptor in the old last which ran small to size. The Dalbello DRS in 25 could be a good option if it runs large to size.

Thanks!

Sponsor

Staff online