• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Additional foot measurements

raichu

Booting up
Skier
I was scrolling through the Head 21/22 race boot pamphlet (https://issuu.com/levnelyze/docs/raptor_wcr_guideline_20-21_dina5_v3_web) and I noticed the "Technical Data" section included internal measurements that I haven't seen before. Some are self-explanatory like Malleolus Width and Toe Height, but I can't quite grasp how the Instep Width is being measured such that it comes out almost 2x the last width. I'm also not sure how heel height and heel width are being measured. Are these standard foot measurements in any way?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 2.52.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 2.52.18 PM.png
    366.3 KB · Views: 36
TS
R

raichu

Booting up
Skier
So these are not a standard thing at all then? Weird that they'd include them. I have a 261mm foot and a set of calipers, and I couldn't figure out any way to measure my instep that ended up with a number remotely close to 168mm. Very odd.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
In the end, ya just gotta put yer foot in the shell. 2D measures are terrible descriptors of irregular 3D volumes.

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
So these are not a standard thing at all then? Weird that they'd include them. I have a 261mm foot and a set of calipers, and I couldn't figure out any way to measure my instep that ended up with a number remotely close to 168mm. Very odd.
There's no standard way to measure anything about a ski boot except it's shell length and cuff height. It's quite easy to measure angles and "center to center" lengths on a bike frame, but straight lines on a ski boot last are quite rare and there is no real "center to center" that you can measure/compare to other brands' geometries. Even forefoot width can't be consistently measured from brand to brand.

Sponsor

Staff online