• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Adjustable cuff alignment Lange RS 130 versus Head WCR 140

otto

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
cuff alignment = close enough, ballpark, goal, getting the cuff to move closer than it was before you started. Your eyes are the only tool that you need to do your assessment. Although real professionals use their index fingers too. And as pointed out there are "tricks" that fitters will use to help change the lateral contact to the lower leg. Cuff adjustment is initially done as a comfort step in boot fitting.

Sole canting = precision, measurable, repeatable, the average skier can tell the difference between degrees. Race athletes can tell the difference in 1/4 degree increments. Sole Canting is a performance enhancement adjustment that helps to bring out the last 10% of perfromance in the boot set-up. The tools are specialized, and your boot guy is responsible for the boot sole being returned to the customer respecting the DIN norms.

These are not mix and match. They are not interchangeable. The cuff adjustment is there to balance the leg shaft in the boot so that there is neither pressure inside or outside when sliding on snow. The sole cant is there to allow the skier to stack their joints starting at the foot and ankle up through the lower leg, knee, and hips.

smctigue

Getting on the lift
Skier
I recently tried a pair of 22/23 RS 120s. The cuffs are pretty aggressively outside at neutral (for me). Unfortunately, the pair I tried did not include asymmetric cuff hardware for making adjustments. I asked the dealer if I was supposed to receive those, he told none of the other boxes he checked included them and that he would need to order them.

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks @onenerdykid .

Both fitters who identified the issue just said they couldn't move the cuff any further. Delighted to learn it's not the only solution.
To answer your original question, yes you can increase the range of adjustment on the new Lange’s by ordering (from a dealer or direct) different pivot adjusters.
The stock adjusters only allow a .5 degree adjustment on the medial (inside) pivots. To increase this range, order a 1 or 1.5 degree pivot , swap it out with an Allen wrench, and go through the normal alignment process for centering your calf in the shell.
Langes have historically come biased towards the lateral (outside) and up until the latest generation, had no adjustment on the medial side. Thankfully they’ve upgraded their boots to include an adjustable medial pivot (good) but for some reason only include a .5 degree pivot from the factory.
I swapped out a pair last year and it took only a few minutes.

TS
Z

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks @Average Joe
up until the latest generation, had no adjustment on the medial side. Thankfully they’ve upgraded their boots to include an adjustable medial pivot (good) but for some reason only include a .5 degree pivot from the factory.
Hurrah. The lack of one was why I was eyeing up the Raptor.

TS
Z

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thankfully they’ve upgraded their boots to include an adjustable medial pivot (good) but for some reason only include a .5 degree pivot from the factory.
I swapped out a pair last year and it took only a few minutes.
Mine's the 2018 boot. When did they change it?
Also, is it identical to the lateral pivot? Could I just could swap over the lateral pivot from an older RS shell?

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
Also, is it identical to the lateral pivot? Could I just could swap over the lateral pivot from an older RS shell?
If your pivot adjusters look like these:
FB940652-3894-4BE9-92E9-4795D52B2531.jpeg
Stock pivot adjusters (bottom) factory supplied .5 degree. I was able to order new 1 degree adjusters (top).
I‘m not sure which model year they switched from a fixed rivet to an adjustable medial pivot.
Disregard the illustration Lange provided that was posted above diagramming the corrections. The goal is to center the calf in the shell without the liner

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
NO the new pivots do not fit on the old shell, the lateral side is a completely different mech, the medial side of the old boots has a round hole, these have a square boss on them

ok so it is fairly plain you want more cuff adjustment and however much we tell you it is about getting it in the ball park you don't seem to want to listen..... so, take off the one on the boot, get a small burr or a round needle file and extend the slot in both the metal AND the plastic to give you the desired amount of motion in the cuff

caveat:, if you do this and screw it up don't come crying to us

Last edited:
TS
Z

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Very much appreciate the info @cem but forgive me if I have the temerity to consider other people's posts as well as yours.

NO the new pivots do not fit on the old shell, the lateral side is a completely different mech, the medial side of the old boots has a round hole, these have a square boss on them
This is precisely why I asked. It looked like it would indeed need someone who knows what they're doing to change the hole in the plastic.

ok so it is fairly plain you want more cuff adjustment and however much we tell you it is about getting it in the ball park you don't seem to want to listen
Not at all. Very grateful for anything you care to share about boots, but you always say you can't give specific advice without seeing someone's foot - now you're assuming I'm in the ball park. Others have said that if the alignment is not close enough to be in said ballpark, there are ways to get more space to the medial side. The product manager at Atomic has written that a bootfitter could reshape the cuff, the latest poster told me he'd successfully replaced his pivots. If you don't mind, I'll listen to them too. Of course, next time an experienced coach tells me my equipment isn't a good match for me, I'll tell him it's overanalysis and it's snowing. No one here's doubting your vast experience with boots and bootfitting, but the coaches in question have some credentials too, and they've seen my legs in the boot.

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sorry I thought your Lange model was the newer one.
Older models with a fixed pivot can be easily modified, have a bootfitter install a pivot adjuster on the medial side instead. I like to use the part that Head and Nordica use. It requires enlarging the hole in the clog, but is compatible with the opening in the RS130 cuff.
When the bootfitter enlarges the opening it is best to orient the opening to allow for the maximum range of adjustment.
This is the easiest way to modify a Lange to the range of adjustment to a Head.

Sponsor