• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Adult Beginner Instructor Recommendations - Deer Valley

Acipenser

Booting up
Skier
Looking for a good instructor at Deer Valley for a 50-year old female who has skied a few times, but is struggling to put together parallel turns and suffers from a lack of confidence. Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

TS
A

Acipenser

Booting up
Skier
All lessons are full for the week of Feb 21-25th when we will be at Deer Valley. Any suggestions on a way to get a private lesson, probably 1 full day, at Deer Valley during those times?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone have any ideas?
If calling the Deer Valley ski school doesn't work, I'm afraid there's no way to legally get a lesson at Deer Valley then. Outside instructors are not allowed, as is the case with most resorts.

So my suggestion would be check some of the other nearby resorts ski schools, especially if you're on Ikon and can get to one of the other Ikon resorts.

TS
A

Acipenser

Booting up
Skier
That is a great idea. We are on Ikon. I'll look into the other resorts, especially Brighton and Solitude since they are so close.
Anyone know any good instructors there. My wife really needs help with her confidence, so looking for a good instructor.

fosphenytoin

Putting on skis
Skier
Can you go to Alta? It is on Ikon. I have taken few lessons at Alta and my experiences were, instructors are good and quality is consistent. Alta is only offering private lessons this season. If you are interested to go there, I can give you 2 names.
If neither is available, I'd still consider going there for a lesson or 2. I found Alta has good quality instructors there in general.
Never taken lesson at Brighton, Solitude, I am unable to speak for those 2 locations.
Snowbird probably is not a good idea for your wife to go at this point.

TS
A

Acipenser

Booting up
Skier
Just wanted to post a follow up for this thread. I was contacted by GeorgeP, who is a member here and a part-time instructor at Deer Valley. He was able to give us a 1-day private lesson, and was extremely good. My wife's thinking and his teaching style meshed really well. By the end of the lesson, my wife was skiing blues and finally enjoying skiing. In all honesty, I did not think that she would get past the Success run (harder green), and this could have been the last ski trip for her. By the end of the trip, we had skied all of the greens and about half of the blues at Deer Valley, which is a huge accomplishment for someone who rarely did anything more that the easiest green runs. So, if your looking for a very good instructor in Deer Valley, don't hesitate to contact GeorgeP.

GeorgeP

Instructor
Skier
Just wanted to post a follow up for this thread. I was contacted by GeorgeP, who is a member here and a part-time instructor at Deer Valley. He was able to give us a 1-day private lesson, and was extremely good. My wife's thinking and his teaching style meshed really well. By the end of the lesson, my wife was skiing blues and finally enjoying skiing. In all honesty, I did not think that she would get past the Success run (harder green), and this could have been the last ski trip for her. By the end of the trip, we had skied all of the greens and about half of the blues at Deer Valley, which is a huge accomplishment for someone who rarely did anything more that the easiest green runs. So, if your looking for a very good instructor in Deer Valley, don't hesitate to contact GeorgeP.
Thank you for the kind words! It was great meeting you and skiing with your wife. I am super happy she is enjoying this sport of a lifetime!

Sponsor

Staff online