• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

adult beginner ski width?

justplanesteve

Getting off the lift
Skier
Much younger friend who knows i ski asked about getting started next year.
He is (hope you're not reading this, J :) ) probably 40-ish, "grew up on CC skis", never skied alpine, quit as many of us did after teen years.

I started to read ski reviews here on ST and the first question was a poser:
What width under foot would a person think about, if it was their first ski as an adult beginner, and the first season was likely to be spent on groomers, maybe some shallow glades (given past experience) but no real powder? Central NY ski areas.

Season rental makes the most sense as a beginner, i would think? But still, how do you optimize that choice?
Ski barrels around here can also be productive, you can try a lot of skis for $5/pr if there is some discipline regarding parameters.

smt

Last edited:

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Mid or high 70s in width.

I went from cross country to lift-served skiing on groomers. The first full season I was on seasonal rentals - cheap Rossignols of about 76 or 78 wide - and they were fine (the rental boots less so). Then for my first full season I bought skis in the high 70s and they've been fine.

Also, see https://www.skitalk.com/threads/so-youre-hooked-on-skiing-what-now.14497/

Last edited:

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
A few years ago I would've said 70-75mm underfoot. The longer I do this I see more success with students who have something in the low 80s. You'll see a lot of beginner skis on EVO and such with this width. As things get chopped up on-trail that little bit more width can give them more confidence, and the ski performance/turning radius of a well-made beginner 85mm ski is going to mimic that of a 75mm ski in the same category.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Much younger friend who knows i ski asked about getting started next year.
He is (hope you're not reading this, J :) ) probably 40-ish, "grew up on CC skis", never skied alpine, quit as many of us did after teen years.

I started to read ski reviews here on ST and the first question was a poser:
What width under foot would a person think about, if it was their first ski as an adult beginner, and the first season was likely to be spent on groomers, maybe some shallow glades (given past experience) but no real powder? Central NY ski areas.

Season rental makes the most sense as a beginner, i would think? But still, how do you optimize that choice?
Ski barrels around here can also be productive, you can try a lot of skis for $5/pr if there is some discipline regarding parameters.

smt
Where will your friend be skiing? If on mostly thaw-freeze snow in the northeast, the narrower the better. I see you are from NY.

If out in Utah, something in the low 80s might be better, as @ss20 suggests.

Last edited:

ThomasD

Getting off the lift
Skier
Total agreement on the the boots - get good ones from someone who knows what they are doing.

I would say width (anywhere in the 75-85 range could be appropriate) is not quite as critical as turn radius (stay below 16 m) and not being too stiff (e.g. if you were looking at an Atomic Vantage 79 then go C over the Ti version).

TS
J

justplanesteve

Getting off the lift
Skier
This is very useful starting point info.
I've conveyed suggestions based on info rec'd here as well as my personal "guessing" (which is in line with above); as well as good local rental options, and local area options for initial outings. Will report on any follow through.

Thanks, guys!

smt