• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
I sent my powder skis down the river as they were un-inspiring, overly rockered flappy pieces of meh. Time to replace them with something a bit more all mountainish in the 95 to 105 realm. Skis will be used for deep days and Bohemia, but I need a little crossover ability to groomed. Needs to be playful and able to smear and pivot a little, but still be able to lay some tracks.

Current candidates are:

Stockli SR95 demos
Bonafide
Monster 98
Enforcer 100
Motive 95ti in 186
Ranger 96

My background

180-185lbs - 6' Advanced/Expertish
Mediocre masters racer, platinum NASTAR handicapper, can ski the whole mountain but hit blues and blacks with confidence.

Your input is greatly appreciated. :)

Last edited:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I like the Monster, but I would never ever call it "somewhat playful". Same with the Bonafide and Motive but those are a little more accessible.

Enforcer seems like it could be a good choice. Ranger seems a bit light-duty for just inbounds but is a great ski. Never skied to the stockli's.

Something a little more off the wall: On3p Kartel 108 is great in deep stuff and crud, and can still lay an arc in soft snow. I've demoed them a few times but currently rock the Moment Deathwish for the conditions you describe.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
K2 Pinnacle 105
"Philpug: K2 swung the pendulum pretty far from what they were doing, and quite frankly, it was long overdue. Many times, a pendulum swings a bit too far and K2 realized that with the Pinnacles. So instead of ignoring it or making excuses, they fixed it by lowering the tip, extending the wheelbase, and tweaking the core construction -- changes that make sense and make the ski better. This is how the new regime at K2 rolls. I like the current 105, I think it is one of the better tree skis out there. The new Pinnacle 105 still has that playfulness that you expect but is more comfortable and controlled on firmer conditions when it needs to be."
https://forum.pugski.com/threads/2018-k2.4344/

Or, the Pinnacle 95
"K2 made some significant improvements in next year’s version and WOW, what a difference. The new 95 is much more stable yet still fun. It really rips through the piles on edge with confidence. Playing around on the bumped-up piles, the ski is very nimble and has a light feel to it. It is seriously fun. Despite the 17m turn radius, it is not hooky. The lowered tip and tail splay is much better.
  • Who is it for? A wide range of skiers looking for a fun but capable ski for all-mountain conditions.
  • Who is it not for? Big skiers may overpower it; buy it for softer snow.
  • Insider tip: If the previous clown shoe with huge rocker bothered you, try this one!
(same link above)

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My everyday skis are an older K2 rocker camber model. They're so trashed I could have replaced them two years ago but I like them enough to keep them going. 6 feet 170 to 180 lbs over the years. Also liked the bonafides.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I'd suggest looking at the Fischer Pro Mtn 95. As much as I liked the Motives, I like the Pro Mtn better on and off-piste, but especially on. The new tip shape is much better on hard snow. Also, the Motive hasn't been produced in 2 years. That said, if you really want a pair, I am selling mine (186) with Look P18s for $400. Low miles!

Castle Dave

Getting off the lift
Skier
As mentioned earlier, the Monster and Bonafide are non starters for your criteria.
Here is my review of another option
Product:
Length Tested: 179 Line Supernatural 100

Dimensions/Turn Radius: 132/100/121, 21.3 m sidecut
Early Rise Tip & Tail w/camber
Binding: Look SPX 12
Mount point: Suggested

Other Skis in Class:
*Bonafide

Environment & Conditions:
Location of Test: Apex Resort, Penticton, BC
Number of Runs: 5 days
Snow Conditions: chopped 3" off piste, rough groomers
Own

Tester Info:

Username: Castle Dave
Height/Weight: 6'2"
Ski Days/Season: 40
Years Skiing:30
Aggressiveness: moderately agressive but not stupid
Current skis: 185 Line Sick Day 125, 185 first gen Cochise (all metal, no carbon), 179 Line Supernatural 100, vintage 178 Dynastar Contact Limited

Home Area: Apex Resort, Penticton, BC
Preferred Terrain: off-piste, trees

I moved to Penticton from Sparwood BC where I had been skiing Fernie and Castle for the last 10 years. Fernie but especially Castle are perfect for Big Mountain charger skis with big bowls and nicely spaced trees. Apex is somewhat the opposite and features short steep bumps and super tight trees. I needed a quicker, shorter, more manouverable ski than my OG Cochises. I demoed the 180 Bonafide and found them to be excellent skis but they required full commitment 100% of the time and I didn't want to work that hard. I also found them to be very 'crisp' almost like the old Volkls and my preference is for a damper, smoother ski. In other words something one notch down from the Bonafide but still with good performance.

After reading BlisterGearReviews

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/2014-2015-line-supernatural-100

I bought the 179 Supernatural 100 and am very pleased. As stated in Blister Gear, they are light especially compared to the old Cochise, very quick in the bumps and yet surprisingly smooth and stable on the groomers even when the groomers are rough. The Supernaturals are definitely not noodles and can handle considerable speed. They come alive at about 15 mph whereas the Cochises didn't really start to respond until about 25 mph. I didn't try them in powder - I have other skis for that.

Summary would be if you want a ski that's a little less work than the Bonafide but still has very high performance and a smoother ride you should check out the Supernatural 100.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Dynastar X106 188cm (Loved them for all around resort use, I would buy them, mostly a directional ski)

Blizzard Rustler 11 188cm (its 112cm wide but demo it if you can, should be good in deep snow but rocked on soft groomers and chopped up snow as well, If I didnt have the Moments I would buy it, mostly directional ski but still fun)

Blizzard Rustler 10 180 or 188cm (I would pick the 11's for deep pow no question)

Nordica Enforcer 110 185cm (Great ski overall, can be playful but charge as well)

Moment Deathwish 190cm (What I own and use most of the time if there is any new snow, close to center mount but can charge, super fun everywhere)

I loved the Monster 98's but would not pick them for any deep snow.

(Im 6'-2" 185lb)

Marty McSly

Getting off the lift
Skier
Also the Ranger 96 is a couple of years out of production. The current model is 98.

Would J Skis' Metal or Masterblaster suit your criteria, or would they have too much rocker?

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
To the original question, the Motive 95 (bought a pair in 186cm last year) is freakin' great but not playful at all. Flat tail and a very traditional, if not more forgiving feel. One of my best purchases ever!

I also have the Line Supernatural 100 in 186cm and they were my OSQ for 2.5 years. I liked them in all conditions except firm groomers. If you ski their preferred turn radius then they will lay down a nice arc but I find them a bit reticent to carve turns that are too short for their sidecut radius. But the tail does release well so there is that. In crud and manky snow they are simply wonderful. For some reason these skis never made it into the 'charger' category on review sites and the ski magazines, but I feel they deserved that moniker. A really damp ski that blows right through lousy snow and cut-up chunder. They are pretty good in powder too. They want to dive a bit (I've heard many other comment on this feature) but a more centered stance will fix that. Bottom line is that if you are comfortable skiing in powder there isn't anything that is weird about the SN 100.

A ski that nobody mentions, or skis on for that matter, is the Elan Spectrum series, which has been replaced by the Rip Stick line of skis. I have 5 days on the Elan Spectrum 105 ALU and it is proving to be a very capable ski in all conditions and a real eye opener on the groomers.

Good luck in your search for new skis!

TS
trailtrimmer

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Why would you leave out what ski this was??? It's about the most important data point available.

Good call. K2 Annex 108 that I got for a song. My clapped out early Mantras were a far better overall ski despite having no camber left. I have a hard time dealing with skis lacking at least a sheet of metal or ones that feel like they do. I can horse GS skis through the woods, so a complete surfboard isn't needed. Tip rocker, a little tail rocker and metal is good. I live in the land of firm snow 80% of the time, so it needs to be fun while searching out stashes.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I like a few of the skis mentioned so far...

Kore 105
Pinnacle 105
Rustler 10
Enforcer 100

I will add:
Armada Invictus 98Ti

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
I too like the K2 pinacle 95.

It's playful both on the groomed and off. It will turn quickly and it likes to carve. On packed powder you can lay it over and it will hold an edge or you can dive into the deep stuff where it is just fun to ski, just give it a little speed.

Great tree/bump ski too, ultra maneuverable and fun.

I'm 5-8 180 I ski the 95 at 177cm and they are my powder/off piste skis. Frontside I'm on the Head iRally. Haven't skied the Pinacle 105 but have heard that it skis very similar.

TS
trailtrimmer

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Found a deal too good to pass up on the SR95, they will go on trial for new snow days and woods duty. It's hard to justify any ski over 100mm around here as they rarely get used. I'll do some back to back testing between the SR95 and my Brahma and may simply dump the 88's.

MWL

Booting up
Skier
I've taken my 188 Moment PB&Js at 101 width everywhere. They seem to meet your criteria of "Needs to be playful and able to smear and pivot a little, but still be able to lay some tracks." as well as earlier comment of "Skis will be used for deep days..."

I've found them to be refreshing to the more traditional skis I've always been on in that width, and even w/o metal, they hand flex about as stiff as my Brahmas, and are built more durable too. Here's Blister's reviews with one labeled "The MOMENT PB&J is a serious contender for the title of the best one-ski quiver on the planet":

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/2011-2012-moment-pbj-188cm-2
http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/2nd-look-moment-pbj-188cm
http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/3rd-look-moment-pbj

Sponsor

Staff online