• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Advanced on-piste carving: 10 key tips to help you achieve higher edge angles

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
Interesting: It appears that achieving high edge angles is a goal unto itself, rather than a component to achieve a short-radius turn. (Short relative to the speed).

Achieving the edge angle seems to be a fashion statement (it looks cool), instead of a necessary element of a high-G turn.

Angs look cool and feel cool, what other reason is there to do anything on skis? ;) And yes, good skiing is kind of fashionable on insta/youtube, but the vast majority of the skiing public don't care at all, and like skidding around on fat skis whilst standing up straight.

James

Out There
Instructor
Oh OK, I find those who use phones are often cryptic in their communications.
Anyway you are right. Those are flex to release transitions and a totally different release methodology from the previous drill. But I think you and I agree that edge building using the flex to release transition comes from an effort to get the skis out and away vs throwing the upper mass down the hill.
Yes, 1:33 and on.
He’s doing a lot of throwing there. Don’t really get why you think it’s not possible.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Oh OK, I find those who use phones are often cryptic in their communications.
Anyway you are right. Those are flex to release transitions and a totally different release methodology from the previous drill. But I think you and I agree that edge building using the flex to release transition comes from an effort to get the skis out and away vs throwing the upper mass down the hill.
Well, if we are going to parse words..
I would say it's diving into the turn, i.e., letting centrifugal force (or momentum if you prefer) have it's way with you - just like diving into a pool is letting gravity have it's way with you.

It achieves higher-g turns by setting a higher edge angle before you have a chance to not-do-that. Just make sure you give yourself the chance to not-do-that enough to avoid SPLAT.

JESinstr

Lvl 3 1973
Skier
Well, if we are going to parse words..
I would say it's diving into the turn, i.e., letting centrifugal force (or momentum if you prefer) have it's way with you - just like diving into a pool is letting gravity have it's way with you.

It achieves higher-g turns by setting a higher edge angle before you have a chance to not-do-that. Just make sure you give yourself the chance to not-do-that enough to avoid SPLAT.
Falling into a pool is when gravity has its way with you. When diving (from a platform not a spring board) you are launching out (Pushing) from a BOS with whatever momentum you muscles can generate. I don't think intentional creation of pressure is the best way to begin the carving process.

Yes, 1:33 and on.
He’s doing a lot of throwing there. Don’t really get why you think it’s not possible.
If you are executing a flex to release transition then you are bringing you feet up and sliding them under you body. Until your edges are set there is no stable BOS to work from. And when they are set (depending on velocity) you are being pushed into a circular path. Why would you not begin to manage pressure vs creating it?

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
But I think you and I agree that edge building using the flex to release transition comes from an effort to get the skis out and away vs throwing the upper mass down the hill.

Into such a transition the feet and body are sent on different paths where they will first converge and then diverge. Those separate paths are set before the transition 'cause when the pressure on the skis is very light at max flex, destiny is ordained. What Ron le Master referred to as the prediction problem.

Now do we look at this from an internal reference of inside the body where it seems that the only thing doing any moving are the feet coming under then away on each turn? Or from an external reference where the body takes an interesting path down the hill and it feels like it's being projected from place to place on the pitch? Not sure that either reference has any more merit than the other.

Interesting: It appears that achieving high edge angles is a goal unto itself, rather than a component to achieve a short-radius turn. (Short relative to the speed).

Achieving the edge angle seems to be a fashion statement (it looks cool), instead of a necessary element of a high-G turn.

A higher edge angle allows a tighter radius carved turn which in turn provides better control of speed. Which allows pure carving of more pitches. Plus it's fun! If modest edge angles are really good fun then higher edge angles must be more fun - nothing exceeds like excess.

James

Out There
Instructor
Falling into a pool is when gravity has its way with you. When diving (from a platform not a spring board) you are launching out (Pushing) from a BOS with whatever momentum you muscles can generate. I don't think intentional creation of pressure is the best way to begin the carving process.

If you are executing a flex to release transition then you are bringing you feet up and sliding them under you body. Until your edges are set there is no stable BOS to work from. And when they are set (depending on velocity) you are being pushed into a circular path. Why would you not begin to manage pressure vs creating it?
Did you watch the video? It’s pushing from the feet to throw the body over, no doubt. To generate that amount of initial inclination at that low speed in such a short space, he throws himself.
Whether it’s desirable is another question, but it exists, and at a high level.

JESinstr

Lvl 3 1973
Skier
Did you watch the video? It’s pushing from the feet to throw the body over, no doubt. To generate that amount of initial inclination at that low speed in such a short space, he throws himself.
Whether it’s desirable is another question, but it exists, and at a high level.
Read @geepers post above.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)

Ok then, it's like falling into a pool head first, while allowing the diving platform to hang on to your feet so you get upside down. No jumping for extra height. No pressure.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Ok then, it's like falling into a pool head first, while allowing the diving platform to hang on to your feet so you get upside down. No jumping for extra height. No pressure.

1649977667883.png

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Advanced On Piste Carving might be hard, but it’s not so hard to move your feet and tip over while turning on the edge at maybe 15 to 30 mph. Faster than that and maybe a carving ski would be safer.

Stocked2022

Booting up
Skier
Hello all, this is a new post I wrote regarding high-level ski technique. What it gets to really increase your edge angle. It's a long one but a complete one. Hope you enjoy it!

https://www.fedewenzelski.com/advanced-skiing-10-key-tips-to-help-you-achieve-higher-edge-angles/

Cheers!
Excellent review of the elements it takes to make high performance carved turns. Great pictures, in particular I love the one of Jett Seymour having made his pole plant but before he releases to make a turn. I'm going to look for more video of him on u Tube.