• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
I spoke with a guy last night that works in the outside dept at Big Sky and he said that with the high speed lift going in they are looking at putting in some more blue runs over there. He also said Cow Flats will look a lot different. Hopefully they can eliminate a lot of poleing.

Yeah, if they could eliminate some of those flats on cow flats that would help.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah, if they could eliminate some of those flats on cow flats that would help.

There is always the work hole across Bacon Rind from Paradise and dropping through Dude Park to Sheddy, if skating the flats isn't your thing. The very end of the worm hole can get "interesting" after a warm up with stumps and rocks exposed.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
For those wanting to see Yellowstone in the winter ..... Note the Park closes to outsiders on or about March 15 every year because of animal (bear) activity. Hundreds of Spring Break guest are disappointed every spring when they come to Big Sky to Ski and expect a side trip to Yellowstone only to find the park closed a few days earlier.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
For those wanting to see Yellowstone in the winter ..... Note the Park closes to outsiders on or about March 15 every year because of animal (bear) activity. Hundreds of Spring Break guest are disappointed every spring when they come to Big Sky to Ski and expect a side trip to Yellowstone only to find the park closed a few days earlier.

And Yellowstone in winter is a magical place. I highly recommend skipping a day of skiing and taking a snowmobile tour to Old Faithful or the Canyon (personally, I would recommend the Old Faithful tour for first timers).

Also note, the northwest entrance is open all year as that is the only road to Cook City on the Northeast side open all winter.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Personally, I like staying at the Snow Lodge at Old Faithful and spending a couple of days hiking, snow shoeing, cross country skiing, doing photography, and taking some of the snow coach tours. Yellowstone is an EPIC (and I use that word as an exception) place, and in winter, it is even more surreal as there is no one there. It is expensive to stay in Yellowstone in winter, but it is an experience no one will forget. And while I'm a huge skier, I suspect that the experience your family would have in Yellowstone will be far more memorable than any ski experience you have at Big Sky or Bridger.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier

Luckily it look as if our spring break is a little earlier this year so we hopefully won't have any issues getting in. We'll likely just get to Mammoth Hot Springs due to time constraints.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
Luckily it look as if our spring break is a little earlier this year so we hopefully won't have any issues getting in. We'll likely just get to Mammoth Hot Springs due to time constraints.

That area is always open as I noted above, so you shouldn't have any issues.

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
And Yellowstone in winter is a magical place. I highly recommend skipping a day of skiing and taking a snowmobile tour to Old Faithful or the Canyon (personally, I would recommend the Old Faithful tour for first timers).

Agree - as tough as it is to pull oneself away from skiing, it is definitely worth doing. We haven't been able to do it on recent trips because Spring Break comes too late. We did a snow coach, so less DIY. To me the best part was the journey to/from old faithful more than seeing the geyser.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
We did a snow coach, so less DIY. To me the best part was the journey to/from old faithful more than seeing the geyser.
The upside of a snow coach is getting the explanations about the geology and wildlife in the region and warm on a cold day. The snowmobile tours are fun and if you can swing it the long ride to the canyon is worth it.

upload_2018-4-10_7-56-35.png

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nope...not much to see in the wintertime. Touring with my wife, near Old Faithful, January, 2015
IMG_4586.jpeg

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Nope...not much to see in the wintertime. Touring with my wife, near Old Faithful, January, 2015
View attachment 43817

I used the same cardboard bison cut out as you for my "picture." The cross country skier in the fore ground and geyser in the background makes it look more life like.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
PSA for all of you down south whose ski areas have closed. NWS is predicting 8-16" in the mountains tomorrow, in addition to the 17" we have had in the last week. Get up to BS this weekend if you can.

Sponsor