• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Advice on ski purchase for beginner

James

Out There
Instructor
You don’t need some elaborate chart with height, weight, age, femur/tibia ratio, zodiac sign, etc. for ski length. Nor need to watch 6 youtube videos. For your learning, almost anything 70-84mm, 155-175cm. Hell you could learn just fine on a 63mm wide ski on groomed. Shorter generally allows you to do more advanced moves at slower speed. Meaning get the ski up on edge and make a complete turn. This takes a lot of space with longer skis. Narrower allows you to feel tipping of the feet instantly.

Since you’re big, an “intermediate to advanced” ski is fine. You’d be better off on a 157ish cm adult slalom (race) than a beginner ski. Those 155 are cheaper and easier to find than the men’s 165cm, plus it’s instant feedback. I see you water ski. You’d like carving.

Probably you want mid 70’s to low 80’s. I’d stay under 84, the more the better imo. Mid 170’s. But again, we’re starting to go “all mountain, more versatile” rather than learning. You could go to the midwest and learn.
I can’t give a water skiing analogy, know nothing.

I think amphibio is kind of stupid, you’ll have a left and a right ski. Yeah, I could make a case it gives you full camber and rocker in one ski, who cares? Lost in gear what if’s...
Lol, there’s two camps on amphibio, and the other one is terribly misguided ogsmile

Since you’re at Big Sky? Everyone will likely want to get you on a 95-100mm ski. You can learn bad habits on anything, those will make it easier. We’re not talking Lone Peak chutes, groomed.

I would say the tune on the ski can lead to all sorts of difficulties. It’s not the numbers of the angles, but how things are done. Even the sharpest of race skis, with the least base bevel, should be able to slide sideways on firm groomed without catching. Polished manmade shows all sins.

Because of the tuning issue, you’re better off getting whatever from a reliable tuning shop like smoothrides. Or sending it to them. Alternatively, if you get a ski with a demo binding, have someone you know who can ski take it out on the groomed. If they report problems, it needs attention.

Don’t get caught up in this perfect gear bs. Like hiking, camping, etc. We spend so much time on gear research, reading and watching mostly worthless reviews, instead of just going to do it.
I have a 183cm 70 something with tons of edge and properly tuned I’d sell for $100, but I think it’s too long for you. So I won’t.

Modern snow skis are pretty much complete rubbish for anything other than snow skiing.
You’re right, they’re too short for a decent fence. Takes a lot of them for furniture too. They don’t burn well with metal in them either.
Snow anchor for climbing?
1F609D23-092B-45E0-8502-D0B2F9366A27.png

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
If you are really set on buying something now - just buy these and be done with it. 171 length.

Includes bindings that are adjustable to match whatever boots you end up with.

You said you wanted to ski off piste eventually -- these will work there, but are not ideal for that. Get a 85-95 width something when you start going off the groomers more *in your lessons.* Probably next year.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
40 days of lessons would cost me nearly $40 grand :roflmao:. I didn't realize a full day private lesson was so expensive. My initial response to a lesson was, "I'll just youtube some 'How to' ski videos and enjoy my time on the slope". I quickly came to the realization that in order to enjoy my time on the slope, I should first get a lesson. In your opinion, should I break the lessons up? I was going to get 1 full day lesson. I have a 5 day trip planned and was going to get a lesson our first ski day. Now I'm leaning more towards getting 2 or 3 half day lessons, that way I can practice what I've learned the second half of the day. Thoughts?
Sorry, I stepped away from the computer for 12 hours and found myself 3 pages behind on this thread!

The cost of ski school has definitely gone way out of sight. I started learning this sport in 1985, and it was definitely much more affordable then. In fact, I've often reflected on how expensive it would be if I were starting from scratch these days. Still, there have been some great tips in this thread. Group lessons mid week will often wind up being semi-private, or even private. Your idea of several half day lessons vs a full day is a good one. And the Taos Ski Week mentioned above is a great option. Probably no better deal in all of ski-dom. And when you get far enough along, camps/clinics are a great choice. Winter Park/Mary Jane has a 3 day bump camp which is very cost effective. And Jackson Hole's Steep n Deep Camp. You're already miles ahead of the game by getting all this information up front.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Me to my ski instructor: Do you have clients who schedule a private lesson with you every time they ski?
Ski instructor: Yes. And they don't progress much.

Me to my golf instructor: My plan for practice is this .....
Golf instructor: That's good. I have clients who take a lesson on Friday and don't touch a club until the next lesson. They don't learn much.

Lessons teach you what to practice. They are not the practice. Cramming in too many lessons without sufficient practice between them so you can learn and ingrain the teachings can waste your money and not advance your skiing.

Last edited:

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I would also recommend re-reading @LiquidFeet 's Post #27 above as you really want to not fall prey to the Dunning-Kruger Effect in your early stages of development (I particularly like the graphic at the top of this article: https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/brunch/not-so-blissful-ignorance-the-dunning-kruger-effect-at-work ) You mentioned a background in water skiing- There are many good ways to get feedback on competence in water skiing. Falling on your face surely being one. And the length of rope to maneuver slalom buoys was mentioned above. For many, the Green/Blue/Black grading of ski slopes is tailor made to Dunning-Kruger-ing any number of noobies into thinking they are King of the Mountain. It's common to hear someone bragging to his buddies over an après beer that "I skiied <<insert black run name here>> today", But anyone who watched that run from the chair above could see that he totally sucked. Ask most of the truly competent skiers around here how they good they are and you'll get something like "I ski OK". They understand what it took to get to where they are, and how much more they can potentially learn. Don't fall into the trap of wanting to attack terrain beyond your skill level just for "bragging rights". The coping habits you could pick up will stunt your development for seasons to come.

Last edited:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
....I understand that boots should be first and foremost. I'll be at the Big Sky resort from Dec 12 through the 18th. I've booked a bootfitting with Grizzly Outfitters. They're listed on bootfitters.com website. If anyone has info or can recommend an instructor there, please pass their name on.....

Anyone want to help this guy out? He's done some work looking up stops on line, but all he's got at this point is an appointment with a shop, not with a person. He needs a recommendation for a person. Does anyone personally know a GOOD bootfitter near Big Sky?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone want to help this guy out? He's done some work looking up stops on line, but all he's got at this point is an appointment with a shop, not with a person. He needs a recommendation for a person. Does anyone personally know a GOOD bootfitter near Big Sky?
@Talisman , @BS Slarver , @skidrew ?

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
40 days of lessons would cost me nearly $40 grand :roflmao:. I didn't realize a full day private lesson was so expensive. My initial response to a lesson was, "I'll just youtube some 'How to' ski videos and enjoy my time on the slope". I quickly came to the realization that in order to enjoy my time on the slope, I should first get a lesson. In your opinion, should I break the lessons up? I was going to get 1 full day lesson. I have a 5 day trip planned and was going to get a lesson our first ski day. Now I'm leaning more towards getting 2 or 3 half day lessons, that way I can practice what I've learned the second half of the day. Thoughts?
Im late to the game as usual. There are lots of experts on this site and I am NOT one of the, but will give my .02. Get boots from a person who knows what they are doing. We are built the same and I started with boots that were too light for me. Im 5'8 230 and have 120 flex. Get a stiffer boot, it will make the difference and will help in your learning. I had no idea how much difference it made in my form. Skis....Go shorter than longer and look at used if you want to buy look at sideline swap. Until you learn how to ski, the shorter length will help you learn to control "the planks" as you progress. I still ski on 75s for all groomers. I do have some Nomad 105s that I love to ski and 80s that I will be stuck on a fence or wall soon and replaced with 85-88. My longest ski is 174. Its the longest I want to control. My shortest is 169. That is my range. Dont get caught up on the length. Skis are like underwear, some like boxers, some briefs, others are full commando. Its a personal choice.

I first skied over 30 years ago. I started to learn to ski about 7 years ago. That was when I started a full day private instruction at the start of each ski trip. I thought I knew how to ski, my instructor was surprised I hadnt killed myself and hoped it would not be on his watch. Yes, he told me that after a few years of skiing together! Looking back, I knew how to slide down a hill in a fashion that didnt kill me or others around me. I enjoy the sport a whole lot more now, dont get tired like I did in the past and have confidence on the hill. There are people who will say you can learn from Youtube. I think you can hear what they are saying but a trained instructor will look at your form and bio-mechs and will understand what at you are doing and help walk you thru the adjustments and be able help you develop good form. You think you look great, but that may all be in your head and thats where the instructor comes to play. I get an instructor the second day of my trip. That lets me have a little "me time" on the slope before I get with him. The rest of the trip I am spending time skiing the training plan we develop during that day for the rest of the trip. Still having fun, but with a purpose. Yes, instructors are expensive and I add them to the cost of ski trip. No questions. I look at the cost being cheaper than my health insurance deductible.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
To the OP; congratulations-you’ve come to right place. The knowledge base here is very deep and Phil and Tricia do a great job running this site. You’re going to do just fine so ... get thyself to a boot fitter! Do not pass go, do not collect $100 . When the boots are dialed in and right for you the rest will fall into place especially with your background.

TS
BobBeau

BobBeau

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm open to going somewhere else for a fitting. I just figured it would be beneficial having a bootfitting close to where i'm staying if any adjustments needed to be made after a day or 2 of skiing.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Who's Urusla?
"Ursula" is Ursula Howland, a well known, long time high level ski instructor and examiner. She started in Germany and moved to some other places, and has been at Big Sky for like the last 25 years I think, teaching for over 40 years in all.

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
Ursula was SkiSailor's mentor.

Ursula instructs at Big Sky.

Let me just say this:

I want to take a lesson from Ursula . . .

And actually pm'd SkiSailor about it before she passed away:

Skiing will bring you into contact with some great people.

Talk to ski school at Big Sky about booking with Ursula, and talk to Ursula about who in Big Sky to fit your boots.
And since you are going there anyway, don't buy boots until you do your lesson with Ursula.

TS
BobBeau

BobBeau

Putting on skis
Skier
"Ursula" is Ursula Howland, a well known, long time high level ski instructor and examiner. She started in Germany and moved to some other places, and has been at Big Sky for like the last 25 years I think, teaching for over 40 years in all.
Ursula was SkiSailor's mentor.

Ursula instructs at Big Sky.

Let me just say this:

I want to take a lesson from Ursula . . .

And actually pm'd SkiSailor about it before she passed away:

Skiing will bring you into contact with some great people.

Talk to ski school at Big Sky about booking with Ursula, and talk to Ursula about who in Big Sky to fit your boots.
And since you are going there anyway, don't buy boots until you do your lesson with Ursula.
Found her on FB and sent her a message. Hopefully, she'll respond.

Sponsor