• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Advice on those "ski shoes????"

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hello, my wife recently mentioned she thought it would be fun to try out the those shoes that are ski's also (I have no idea what these things are) after seeing a video of people doing it while we were in Europe.

Anyway, I ski and she does not and won't (I don't think)....ever. So when she mentioned that didn't look so intimidating and possibly would be fun, I kind of jumped at the idea since I don't go to the mountain with her unless she just wants to hang out for the day. This could be something she can have fun with.

Anyway, has anyone heard of these things? Are they low maintenance (skill wise) and just simple enjoyments? Or is there more to the story with these things?

~GA

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Snowfeet or skiskates are probably what you're taking about?

Like this:

James

Out There
Instructor
^ Those are skilled athletic people.

Anyway, I ski and she does not and won't (I don't think)....ever. So when she mentioned that didn't look so intimidating and possibly would be fun,
I mean go for it I guess. Make sure she has a helmet. Maybe she’ll change her mind on regular skiing. You could start with super short skis.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've never seen the ones that you strap on before, only Sled Dogs snowskates. I've seen a guy on those at Wachusett. Safer than skating downhill? (Red Bull Crashed Ice)

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
This would be taking the Graduated Length Method to a whole new level.

Ultimately, skis are safer and way more forgiving of balance errors. But maybe something "magic carpet" flat or flatter yet would get her out there, then put her in a lesson with actual skis. Start her with short skis, maybe.

Last edited:

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Those look challenging. If anything like bootskiing with normal boots, you would have to balance unstably on your heels.

Snowblades (very short skis) would be easier as there is a bit more of a platform to balance on.

Better yet, a normal beginner ski.

TS
GA49

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
Yeah she'll end up on her butt a lot unless she is an accomplished skater ( in which case she wouldn't find skis intimidating). Short skis FTW.
How short are we talking here?

motogreg

A liftie once told me I was an okay skier....
Skier
I would echo the previous sentiments. Unless she's a whiz on ice skates or rollerblades, the leverage of skis will lead to a less painful outcome

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Snow blades are usually around 80-99cm long(99cm the most common) although you see the occasional ones into triple digits.

I’d agree with the rest of the posters here that a set of around 120cm or so beginner rental skis would be far easier for balance yet still very short that they are not intimidating.

Just tuned some kids skis of a friend a month ago who moved from 110cm to 120cm this year. My 190cm powder skis beside them for comparison…..

E3CC8376-2ABF-41E9-B997-8993F41D8B07.png

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
How short are we talking here?

120-130mm is a noticeably easier platform for front to back balance than those - but you absolutely give up the ability to heel-toe the runners (the move shown at 1:19) in the linked video.

99mm is borderline - and heel-toe stability is going to require a fairly upright boot, probably one in walking mode.

This move is important because short runners have far less suspension than long ones - and do pass vibrations, snags and tip catches back up into your leg.

Heel-to-toe (scissoring in skater parlance) of the runners lets you split front-back stability between feet, lets you soft-touch the front runner and lets your back leg block backwards falls.

Both backwards falls (turtle recco above) and Superman falls are far more likely to happen with the feet side by side than when scissored.

Backwards falls happen at slow speeds or when attempting to brake/slow down. Superman falls (hands, elbows, chin) happen at most (read: all) speeds.

The tip catches or there's a hole in the snow or an unseen rut - the ability to heel/toe the runners is your best defense against that. If you can't heel/toe the risks are broken wrists, blown rotator cuffs and stitches in the chin.

As a completely separate issue, be aware that these things pretty much require hero snow.

Except for (few) models that are closer to skate blade design than ski edge, edge engagement is going to be weaker than on a conventional ski.

With a few exceptions, these are *not* the tool for ice days. With a few exceptions, these are *not* the tool for powder days.

Last edited:

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I hope the collective wisdom here has persuaded you to not introduce your SO to snowsports with a device that ensures a bad experience.

But I wonder, why from the perspective of your SO do the bootskis seem fun, while skiing seems too dangerous?

James

Out There
Instructor
Unless the person spends lots of time on roller blades or ice skates, it’s not a great idea. I don’t see this being “easier” than skiing. Frankly, something of a nightmare.

But maybe somehow transfer that excitement to skiing 110-120cm skis with bindings.

The thing is with those things, going down any steep blue or even less, you’re going to be on your heels. If you can even manage it. There’s nothing in the front to hold you up. On gentle terrain you could kind of ice skate.
I’ve only seen one guy use them and he was pretty good at it. Nearly straight down on a fairly steep area with little wiggles.

That’s all the guy used, I ended up riding the lift with him. He’d come out after work for maybe an hour skiing those things. He was a special type, that’s for sure. High energy too.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I object in the strongest possible terms to the very idea of putting anyone’s wife on the suicidal mission of skating these.
Reading between the lines-she thinks normal skis are far too long and unwieldy. That’s fine. Put her on very short beginners’ skis and assure her she’d be 1000 times more stable on these compared to them skate-y contraptions from hell.

Last edited:

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
“You’ll definitely fall from time to time. But that’s part of the fun” in the intro video. There’s your sign. I guess breaking your clavicle would be a total riot.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Atomic made some shorty 120cm adult skis with demo bindings? I had a pair in the early 2000’s. They weighed a ton (noticeable only when carrying) but were easy to ski on and balance, and were fairly stable. Does that kind of thing exist anymore?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Atomic made some shorty 120cm adult skis with demo bindings? I had a pair in the early 2000’s. They weighed a ton (noticeable only when carrying) but were easy to ski on and balance, and were fairly stable. Does that kind of thing exist anymore?

Certainly.

But it's really a different experience from skatey runners.

Sponsor

Staff online