• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Advice on those "ski shoes????"

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
But I wonder, why from the perspective of your SO do the bootskis seem fun, while skiing seems too dangerous?
Total wild guess here...

Maybe because the snowfeet/skiskates/bootskis seem like skating, which you do on flats or very gentle terrain? Where skis automatically imply a big hill and downhill and speed? Might be a baked in vision of how they're used - which isn't necessarily correct.

Or another possibility - snowfeet/skiskates/bootskis probably seem like you have a lot of control, because they're like shoes - you can just walk, or stop at any point. (Stopping is a really big deal to new people on snow.) Where skis - even short ones - seem relatively unwieldy and difficult to control and stop.

But in reality, as pointed out above, unless it's perfect snow, the snowfeet could be really difficult - more akin to rollerblading on a slope with gravel strewn about or something. But it could be a lot of things I suppose.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Certainly.

But it's really a different experience from skatey runners.
The fact that those Elans are different from the skatey runners is the point.

I think quite a few of us here are saying that the skatey runners would not be a good idea for somebody who is leery of skiing and wants an “easier and friendlier” alternative.

Because skates runners are not easier and friendlier.

Skatey runners would be fun for people like,,,,,,,you!!…..who have experience on inline skates and understand the fore-aft balance required. ;)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Sometimes conditions are firm enough to go boot skooting without special equipment. I've done it for laughs. There are videos out there of people rumbling down a trail with no skis and only boots, turning and sort of controlling their speed but the search bots have promoted these products way above them.. harder to find them now..

James

Out There
Instructor
There are videos out there of people rumbling down a trail with no skis and only boots, turning and sort of controlling their speed but the search bots have promoted these products way above them.. harder to find them now..
Many places won’t let you on the lift with just boots on. Could we get more fringe, and horrible, then standing at the top of a mountain going down with just boots?

There used to be videos of having fun on snow blades. Before youtube existed. They’re pretty rare now, as are snow blades. There was a time when just about everyone owned them or rented them.
Then the legs started breaking I guess…
It died out I suppose when people realized they weren’t that much fun all day, but work.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I submit that it hasn't died out, just shifted to a different silo.

And if anyone is interested I still have a pair of these unmounted: Gauer dance skis, for something completely different and not very resembling of work:

James

Out There
Instructor
Snowboarding is not easier in the beginning.
Thus the turtles, knee pads, wrist guards, and early helmet adopters.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Snowboarding is not easier in the beginning.
Thus the turtles, knee pads, wrist guards, and early helmet adopters.
I have an anesthesiologist friend in SoCal who spends much of his winter dealing with broken snowboarder wrists.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Many places won’t let you on the lift with just boots on. Could we get more fringe, and horrible, then standing at the top of a mountain going down with just boots?

There used to be videos of having fun on snow blades. Before youtube existed. They’re pretty rare now, as are snow blades. There was a time when just about everyone owned them or rented them.
Then the legs started breaking I guess…
It died out I suppose when people realized they weren’t that much fun all day, but work.
It happens on team training hills all the time. Same with one footed one ski drills. Ride up with the skis on and someone else carries your ski/s down...

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier

Sponsor