• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Advocacy for Expanding US Skiing Capacity

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
If they left more of the easier terrain ungroomed it would be easier for people to learn to ski moguls and you would have more people that could ski them.
Unless you've got a ski team willing to help build moguls on easier terrain, leaving it ungroomed isn't really going to lead to moguls. At the various areas I remember seeing blue and/or green terrain with moguls (Snowbird, Telluride, Mt. Hood Meadows, Bluewood), these are the least busy blue/green runs on the mountain, with tons of available space for anyone who wants to build their skills on such terrain. Grooming less of the easier terrain wouldn't make it easier to learn to ski moguls, it would just concentrate more skiers on the still-groomed terrain.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Grooming less of the easier terrain wouldn't make it easier to learn to ski moguls, it would just concentrate more skiers on the still-groomed terrain.
Id agree with that. And they are crowded enough.

Errand Wolfe

Ski like Stein
Skier
Let me see if I got this now.

A fixed and detachable lift both carry about the same number of people per hour and the point at which it becomes non-distinguishable is when the time standing in line equals the savings in ride time going from the fixed to detachable lift. After that point you're waiting to ski whether it's on the ground or in the air.

Am I right?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This must be the gatekeeping thread.

To the contrary. I welcome the masses. The superb grooming provided by the resorts cause the casual skiers to show up in droves. All there to better enjoy the finely manicured slopes. I have no issues with that at all.
They are my benefactors who subsidize my skiing addiction. Couldn't afford to ski as much as I do if I have to do walk up rates.

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier

A fixed and detachable lift both carry about the same number of people per hour and the point at which it becomes non-distinguishable is when the time standing in line equals the savings in ride time going from the fixed to detachable lift. After that point you're waiting to ski whether it's on the ground or in the air.

Am I right?

Except you can never totally forecast wait time and stoppages for any lift with a line (only I'd say as people increase so does chance of a misload). But given overall identical non-skiing time, the slow chair with shorter line feels like a better emotional pay off because you're moving, chilling rather than just waiting etc

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

Am I right?
:golfclap:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid